Mist Traveling

Discussing all things Ravenloft
nothri
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Mist Traveling

Post by nothri »

Kinda a basics of the basic question....how long do you assume traveling the mist takes? Does the journey ever vary? Do travelers ever have to make "camp" in your games?
I'm just a ghost in this house.
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Mist Traveling

Post by Dark Angel »

I keep them relatively short (hours, not days), but vary them. It doesn't matter how far or close, the duration always varies. I have even gone as far as giving my players individual times they think they have been traveling the Mists to give them disorienting perspectives amongst themselves. Only Vistani and Half-Vistani in my game can gauge time while traveling. I never have them 'make camp', but have tossed encounters of Mist Horrors and Mist Ferrymen stalking the Mists around them (but fear the Vistani in my game so they never get close).
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Mist Traveling

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Definitely varies, even for the same trip, even using a Mistway.

I have had them make camp. what could be creepier than trying to sleep in THAT?

Also used the "cozy cabin" Oubliette from VRGttM to try to entice them into staying there, but all but one of them were too paranoid smart to fall for it. :)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."