LOST TRAILS TWO: TRACK OF THE BEAST-MEN

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: LOST TRAILS TWO: TRACK OF THE BEAST-MEN

Post by ewancummins »

RocEter wrote:"What are go-Goblins and what did you call them, knife-ears?" Clive asks.

Governor Samus says,
''Common goblins--at least the ones around here--are cruel, thieving runts. Boogeymen, some call them. Can be very dangerous in numbers."
She takes a swig from her wineskin.
''But there are quite a number of different monster kindreds related to goblins. I've heard arguments between sages about which types fit the family and which don't, but orks are surely kin to goblins. Gnoles might be. Not the man-lizards--they really are reptiles.''
She stows her wineskin.
''Knife-ears--he means elves. Fairy-like creatures of the woods and the underworld. They aren't all hostile to humans, but a lot of the friendly ones seem as wine-soaked and arrogant as Cormyte young bloods. Fear the Dark Elves, and don't trust the Fair Elves more than you must.''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict sighs and tries not to roll his eyes too much at this ignorant discussion of monstrous races.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The party rides on in the pleasant warmth of the sunny afternoon, soon leaving behind the town and turning north along a dirt road that stretches into farm country.

Men working in the grainfields wave greetings before turning back to work.

Two boys standing along an irrigation canal to the east abandon their fishing poles to stand and watch the party ride by.

At the crossroads, less than an hour's ride from town, the party finds a dozen men on horseback or standing and holding the reins of horses.
Most wear light armor--dusty gambesons or reinforced jacks. All carry weapons.

The men salute the Governor.
She rides forward, exchanges brief words with them, and then continues on, leaving the posse to fall in with the party.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Adam wrote:Bennedict sighs and tries not to roll his eyes too much at this ignorant discussion of monstrous races.
Raen on the other hand openly frowns. "I have known elves in my country. They were suffering as everyone else and I found that I could trust elves as much as humans although we have given the elves plenty of reasons to mistrust us, at least in my country.
Klokuff, not everyone adheres to your cosmology. You may call us heretics all you like, but the truth is that the other religions get their spells and protection from their Gods too.
I am not trying to pick a fight here, I just want to say that elves are trustworthy and could be useful allies."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

Klokulf twists around in his saddle to look at Raen, keeping his face calm. "I rarely call anyone a heretic out loud as I travel abroad," he says, "and I know quite well that heretics can work magic without the Lawgiver. The operating theory is that such magic is the work of Mytteri, for rebellion surely has many names."

He looks around. "Though, until more information comes to light, this world itself stands outside of doctrine. Should I ever return, I will be called a heretic if I so much as claim it exists."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Wolfglide wrote: He looks around. " Should I ever return, I will be called a heretic if I so much as claim it exists."
Raen smiles contently as if by that sentence alone he won the argument he wasn't really making.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

"Interesting." Clive says.

"I only ask, because on my world there are so creatures. Foul and monstrous beasts to be sure, but nothing say like we humans." He says.
Wolfglide wrote:Klokulf twists around in his saddle to look at Raen, keeping his face calm. "I rarely call anyone a heretic out loud as I travel abroad," he says, "and I know quite well that heretics can work magic without the Lawgiver. The operating theory is that such magic is the work of Mytteri, for rebellion surely has many names."

He looks around. "Though, until more information comes to light, this world itself stands outside of doctrine. Should I ever return, I will be called a heretic if I so much as claim it exists."
"Should I return to my world from this, I will likely be hailed as a hero or the Empress will personally take my head." He says.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kat grins at Sir Clive

"I'd pick that first one, if I were you."

She looks at him curiously.

"So what is it like, where you're from?"
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Alain rides close enough to hear what Clive says about his world, as he is always interested in information of other worlds .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen also falls back once he gets notice that the Outlander would say more about his world.
My DMGuild work!
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

kintire wrote:Kat grins at Sir Clive

"I'd pick that first one, if I were you."

She looks at him curiously.

"So what is it like, where you're from?"
Clive chuckles "Yes, it is best option of the two." He says.

He taps his chin and while he thinks of how to describe his world.

"If you were to read the history of the Empire, you would say my world is grim and dark. For the most part that is true, my people are at war. A rebellion that started four generations ago is still on going but in its final death throws. But if you look past the rebellion, you will find a world of great wonder, lush forests, fertile lands, and marvels you might not think possible." He says pausing again, with a thoughtful expression on his face.

"Take for example, the primary method I use to travel through the Empires domain. Every large town, and city has devi-uh magical things, that can instantly move you from one location to the next. I also have a device that allows me to communicate with the Empress, and allows her to know my location, if there is an emergency. Supposedly she can use it to recall me to the capitol, or so she jests."

Clive continues to tell others of his life experience, how he was basically conscripted into the military as boy cause he was the lone survivor after a group of rebel beast tamers attack his village with monstrous beasts. How he lost his left arm when he was fifteen when an Orge attacked his scouting party, he defeated it of course. Which is also how he came be in the service of the Empress. She was just the heir to the throne then but she was impressed and chose him to be apart of her royal guard. He doesn't mention how he left arm now, but instead starts talking about the strange continent to the far west across the ocean that is untamed and where wild, and sometimes powerful, beasts that the empire has never encountered before...

"...And then there is the royal library in palace. It is said it holds every book ever printed, or wrote, among its shelves. I spend a great deal of my free time there, for me it was the best place for me escape my otherwise grim life." He says. "If you have more specific questions, feel free to ask."
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

"Is your Empire a secular government, or does it enforce a state religion?" Klokulf asks.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

"More importantly, may I please see that device her Imperial Majesty uses to communicate with her trusted servants? I swear I will return it to you." Raen says.
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The column has stopped in the middle of the road.

Anyone who cares to look ahead sees Governor Samus dismounted beside a cart in the road, talking with the driver. It looks if the wagon had been headed this way, as the single horse that pulls it faces your party. Two strangers on horseback loiter near the cart, watching the sides of the road.

The Governor says something not clear at this distance to one of the her huntsmen standing near her.
That man swings into the saddle and rides straight for Bennedict.
Cantering up, the man slows his steed to a walk as he gets very near Benn.
"You said you wanted to speak with the girl child? She's in the cart."

The militiamen accompanying the ground fan out, some on foot, some still mounted. Men water their beasts, casually inspect the sides of the roadway, or screen their eyes with hat brims and lifted hands as they scan the rolling brown grasslands and pastures. None strays far.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict climbs down from the horse, patting it and standing around for a moment with the reigns, unsure what he's supposed to do with them. He eventually throws them to Clive or one of the governor's men and follows the governor to the wagon to see the child.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."