LOST TRAILS TWO: TRACK OF THE BEAST-MEN

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

LOST TRAILS TWO: TRACK OF THE BEAST-MEN

Post by ewancummins »

Alain and Benn ask around, trying their best to discover what it might have been that drew their meeting with the governor to such an abrupt close. And to do it without seeming like spies…
No one at North Abbey gives any information.

But when they go to find Dorn and the wagon, they see three soldiers helping the youth from the fort load the cart with supplies.
Pitching in, Alain and Benn soon win the soldiers’ trust, at least enough to get them started talking freely.
They learn that ‘horrible beast men’ attacked a farmstead to the northwest, near the borders of the Vast Swamp.
One of the soldiers says this news just arrived. When Alain subtly steers the conversation toward the Governor, the most talkative soldier remarks “Governor Samus hates those dirty swamp monsters. She’s liable to mount up and go after ‘em.”

Katrin chats up locals in the streets and in the common room of the Firedagger but learns nothing much about sages beyond some vague story about a scholar who reported lost in the Vast Swamp last year. Was there a reward for finding the man? Her barroom informant cannot even recall the name.

Klokulf finds a small civic temple where images of unfamiliar gods stand in shadowy niches and sweet incense sticks burn in brass pots. The largest idol is a life-size maiden, sculpted to appear veiled and robed, a crown of real wheatsheaves woven round her wooden head.
The aged priest who keeps the temple tells Klokulf the names of the deities and saints, beginning with the large statue, which he identifies as the goddess Chauntea.

----

The hour's nearly up, and if the party means to reunite before some or all go to meet the Governor, they had better converge on their meeting place.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: LOST TRAILS TWO: TRACK OF THE BEAST-MEN

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

ewancummins wrote:Klokulf finds a small civic temple where images of unfamiliar gods stand in shadowy niches and sweet incense sticks burn in brass pots. The largest idol is a life-size maiden, sculpted to appear veiled and robed, a crown of real wheatsheaves woven round her wooden head.
The aged priest who keeps the temple tells Klokulf the names of the deities and saints, beginning with the large statue, which he identifies as the goddess Chauntea.
Klokulf listens politely to the priest as he identifies the gods--though it is likely the lot of them are aspects of Mytteri--then he inquires further, "I am trying to look for a specific deity, but I have yet to find him by name, if indeed he is here at all." He then provides a basic and clear explanation of the Lawgiver's dogma: Rebellion is the root of evil, and obedience to one's established superiors is obligatory.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

AT THE SHRINE OF MANY GODS

The old shrine-keeper squints at Klokulf.
"Rebellion is the root of all evil? Obey orders of your superiors?"
He shrugs.
''Many cults demand obedience and punish rebellion. But does this god of yours want to spread his rule over the whole world? Does he demand obedience even to the harshest and cruelest commands? And can a man find an opening above him in the cult by pointing out the...ehhhh...theological flaws in a superior's position?"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

If there's time, Benn asks for a description of these beastmen, mostly out of idle curiosity. However, sensing that this trouble is something routine and unrelated to their arrival, Bennedict returns to the meeting place at the appointed time.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

ewancummins wrote:AT THE SHRINE OF MANY GODS

He shrugs.
''Many cults demand obedience and punish rebellion. But does this god of yours want to spread his rule over the whole world? Does he demand obedience even to the harshest and cruelest commands? And can a man find an opening above him in the cult by pointing out the...ehhhh...theological flaws in a superior's position?"
Restraining feelings of offense at the priest referring to the Church of the Lawgiver as a "cult," Klokulf replies, "According to doctrine, the Lawgiver is the only true deity, so the spread of his worship across the world is only right. Leaders are divinely ordained to rule, and so must be obeyed without question. If a ruler were found inadequate or wicked by the Church, he would certainly be replaced. Ascending the ranks is possible, though those of low birth would likely find their progress limited. Does this sound familiar to you?"
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kat drops by the meeting point, and quietly speak to Benn.

"I have drawn a complete blank on local sages, so it looks like the Governor's route is best, for now. I'll just be waiting here for the outcome... i have authority figure issues."

She looks at him with genuine sympathy.

"How are you holding up? There's been a lot thrown at you the last few days, even aside from that skull faced ghost. Are you okay?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:
ewancummins wrote:AT THE SHRINE OF MANY GODS

He shrugs.
Restraining feelings of offense at the priest referring to the Church of the Lawgiver as a "cult," Klokulf replies, "According to doctrine, the Lawgiver is the only true deity, so the spread of his worship across the world is only right. Leaders are divinely ordained to rule, and so must be obeyed without question. If a ruler were found inadequate or wicked by the Church, he would certainly be replaced. Ascending the ranks is possible, though those of low birth would likely find their progress limited. Does this sound familiar to you?"

''Maybe..."
The man squints again.
"You speak right and rule. And wickedness to be condemned. What about mercy and kindness? "

Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"Rulers are supposed to correct those inferior to them," Klokulf answers, "but being merciful would be a far too lax way to go about doing so. I recall little in scripture about kindness, but it is certainly not warranted when the doctrines of the Lawgiver are being flouted."
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Alain promptly shows up for the meeting with the governor (thinking that helping her with her problem a good idea right now) .
He will ask the others what they ahve found out in the interm and if it applies to the current sitution . "So Katrin have you found out anything of interest since are meeting with the governor."Alain asks right before meeting with the governor .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen, after offering his help as long as it's for the good of the people of the town, walks around in the North Abbey trying to see more of the place and kill some time.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Raen, after offering his help as long as it's for the good of the people of the town, walks around in the North Abbey trying to see more of the place and kill some time.
Guards inside the North Abbey advise Raen,
''We're busy. Stay out of the way.''
Armed men block his access to most of the building. He doesn't see or hear a great deal of other activity...

A friendly servant maid guides Raen to the North Abbey's big kitchen, where two boys help a rotund baker at an oven.
The girl grabs a basket of green apples for Raen and herself.
''Tell me of your adventures!''

After a couple of minutes, the plump baker and his two apprentices join Raen and the maid at the table with some fresh, crusty bread and a wheel of pale yellow cheese.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen smiles. "Gladly!" he says as he takes a seat and starts saying a kid-friendly version of his adventures including the one that led-them to this land.
Meanwhile, he's not adverse to lending a hand in the cooking preparations as long as they don't interfere with his story-telling.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

kintire wrote:Kat drops by the meeting point, and quietly speak to Benn.

"I have drawn a complete blank on local sages, so it looks like the Governor's route is best, for now. I'll just be waiting here for the outcome... i have authority figure issues."

She looks at him with genuine sympathy.

"How are you holding up? There's been a lot thrown at you the last few days, even aside from that skull faced ghost. Are you okay?"
Bennedict's eyes focus out towards the horizon for a moment. "In truth," he says, "Not well. For some, this could just be seen as another adventure. A trip into a wilderness, and if we do not return..." he shrugs, "C'est la vie. Not so for me. I have a family. If I do not return, my wife and children will never know what happened to me. And given the prey we were pursuing, the most likely cause would be my murder at Jonathon Matyr's hands."

He gestures to the keep. "These people. These...primitives. They've never even heard of our home. They have no idea how to return. And Dorgio is lost somewhere else." He shakes his head. "I try to remain hopeful that one day we will all find our way back, but I am not a fool. The odds are not in our favor."

Irritably, he pats his pockets down, looking for his pipe and disguising any moisture that may have inexplicably condensed in his eyes.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

A SHORT TIME LATER...

The party, minus Katrin, has gathered again in the same room where the Governor interrogated them all earlier in the day.

Governor Samus walks in, wearing the same light armor she wore earlier. A crossbow hangs on a strap over her shoulder.

With her come three quick, lean men dressed in dun gambesons with bows, full quivers, and hunting swords.

The Governor declares,
''I'm leaving shortly. Trouble I must look into. If you are still in the area when I return, I'll write you a letter that may prove helpful in finding expert help with your predicament. But just now, I haven't the time.''

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Looking at his companions before speaking Alain says :"Can we be of some help, as we have had to deal with strange beasts in our investigations from were we are from ."
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .