Back to Basics Chapter 1: Where are we ?

Rafael's and Skybolt's Online Campaign
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Back to Basics Chapter 1: Where are we ?

Post by ewancummins »

"Petard? I don't know what that is--but I gather you can make one. Is it sort of like your iron wands? You said it explodes- like a miniature fireball spell?"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Roofdrak
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Roofdrak »

ewancummins wrote:''We could try to bust this safe open, if you can't pick the lock, Sara. Maybe acid..."
She sits down next to the safe and carefully studies it for weak points.
''Isidar, I'd appreciate your help with this. You know more about this sort of stone and metal work than any of us, I'll bet."
After a moment, the girl asks Sara-
"That magical exploding powder of yours...does it work outside of your iron wands? Could you use it to blow open the lock-- perhaps, if I had first weakened the mechanism with acid?"

Isidar walks over to the safe and bends over it. Lightly tapping it and running her hand over the sides and edges, staying out of Sarah's way as she tries to pick the lock. With a glint in her eye, she says to Sarah, "If you want to build a device, you could draw a picture in Dalorna's book and I will assist you in making it. Gond would be pleased for me to learn to make something new."
RuthRogan, RuthRogan, she's as strong as a fightin' man!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

As trying to open the lock Sara replies:

"You can think the petard as a small bomb. I will put the gunpowder in a flask or vial and place it at the lock. Then I will light it from distance so will not get myself in the explosion as well. As about to help me make one Isidar, I will appreciate your help. I will drow what I'm thinking soon after I finish with the lock. Maybe I will be able to open it with my tools and we will not need the petard. But since is important for you I will teach you whatever I know about guns and gunpowder and can also teach you how to use them as well if you want."
Last edited by VAN on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

''Bomb? I don't know that word. It's some sort of device that blows up? Good, that sounds useful."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Sara is a bit surprised that Dalorna doesn't know the word bomb, but remembers that the mage wasn't from this land. So she nods and says:

"Yes exactly, it's a device that explodes."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:Sara is a bit surprised that Dalorna doesn't know the word bomb, but remembers that the mage wasn't from this land. So sh nods and says:

"Yes exactly, it's a device that explodes."

''So, is it sort of like your magic wands? Those are weird looking wands. They have little moving parts. I've never seen anything like them."

BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

The Professor watches from a distance. A safe distance. The idea of an explosion was one that did not appeal to him in the least. He fishes something to eat from the ration bag sold to the group by Ping earlier and nibbles a bit.
"I have never seen anyone break into a safe before. I am very interested to see what sort of effect this employed explosion will have upon the metal exterior. Perhaps none! I suppose the blast will be loud as well...Maybe we should take some sort of precaution."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

BigBadQDaddy wrote:The Professor watches from a distance. A safe distance. The idea of an explosion was one that did not appeal to him in the least. He fishes something to eat from the ration bag sold to the group by Ping earlier and nibbles a bit.
"I have never seen anyone break into a safe before. I am very interested to see what sort of effect this employed explosion will have upon the metal exterior. Perhaps none! I suppose the blast will be loud as well...Maybe we should take some sort of precaution."

''Cover our ears? Bits of rag tucked in them?"

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Sara smiles hearing Dalorna call the guns wands. She unloads one of them and gets closer to the wizard placing the empty gun to her hand.

"Here, hold it if you want. Don't worry it's unloaded so there is no danger for you or anyone else to be hurt. It is called gun or pistol not wand since it isn't magical. It is like a weapon that needs a special matterial to work. This matterial is called gunpowder and can be used for explosions or to get the bullets out of the gun. To shoot you need to aim your target and press here."

Then Sara shows a bullet to Dalorna.

"Here, this is a bullet. The gunpowder pushes the bullet through the gun and outside. The damage is caused of the speed and the spinning the bullet gets. I cannot explain it very well sorry because I'm not an expert of guns and gunpowder. The bomb on the otherhand is gunpowder inside a vial or anything that can contain it. When you light the powder it explodes."

Listening to the professor Sara frowns:

"Maybe it isn't a good idea try to make the explosion right now, it will be loud and might be heard at the down floor as well. If the acid doesn't work I think it might be better wait till we explore the rest of the dungeon and then try to make the lock explode. What do you think?"
- W H A T ! ? !
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

ewancummins wrote:''Cover our ears? Bits of rag tucked in them?"
"Something like that. Though perhaps delaying the explosion and moving to a safe distance would work as well."
VAN wrote:"Maybe it isn't a good idea try to make the explosion right now, it will be loud and might be heard at the down floor as well. If the acid doesn't work I think it might be better wait till we explore the rest of the dungeon and then try to make the lock explode. What do you think?"
"That isn't a bad idea either. After all the safe isn't going anywhere anytime soon."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

''Isidar, what do you think? Can we bust open that safe, or is it too well-built?"

Roofdrak
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Roofdrak »

Isidar finishes examining the safe and stands up. "I am sorry to tell you, but an explosion will not work. This is made of adamantine, a very strong metal. The door is fitted so well that it is air-tight. Whatever is in here must be valuable. Possibly valuable enough to take with them when they left. Although, why would they lock it up again it they had emptied it?"
RuthRogan, RuthRogan, she's as strong as a fightin' man!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

''Admantine! Wow!"

Dalorna shakes her head.

''I suggest we clear out. Al's waiting. We should get back to the village. We can always come back for this safe-- and to explore the lower levels."

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Sara gives a last look at the safe box and then says:

"Yes I agree, if even an explosion can't open the door then will be even harder to open it that we thought. The only reason this might not be empty is if these people left in great hurry with no time to pick their things up. But since we can't do much now I agree with Dalorna, better leave and return tomorrow to clear the rest of the dungeon."
- W H A T ! ? !
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

On the Party deciding that the Safe is better left to when they think they have better tools or more suitable spells maybe to open it .

They find Al alert and waiting for them . The horses and mules are happy to see their owners . They seem to have been well cared for during the sojourner of the party into the caves .The journey back to the village is uneventful and rather boring .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .