POVERO

Online roleplaying at the Café
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: POVERO

Post by steveflam »

"Gem, good boy!" Gertie talks to the dog. "Here's a bone for you, my favorite guy! Yes you are!" Gertie reaches into her pocket and retrieves a soup bone, handing it to the dog who clearly knows

what she is going to do. He accepts it happily.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Yes indeed, first thing in the morning we will go to get a new one. As about the pranks, well this is more your stuff dear Gertie, I'm a serious person!"

Tom cannot help his smile. Turning serious after a moment though he adds:

"I'm a man of action but as I said we are a group, better talk about business when we are altogether."

Gem licks Gertie's hand as acceptiing the bone and his tail moves faster than ever.

"Do you have any pets Aldron? They are great company, we consider Gem a family actually."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:"Yes indeed, first thing in the morning we will go to get a new one. As about the pranks, well this is more your stuff dear Gertie, I'm a serious person!"

Tom cannot help his smile. Turning serious after a moment though he adds:

"I'm a man of action but as I said we are a group, better talk about business when we are altogether."

Gem licks Gertie's hand as acceptiing the bone and his tail moves faster than ever.

"Do you have any pets Aldron? They are great company, we consider Gem a family actually."

ALDRON says,
"Pets? Not exactly. I own horses, hawks, some dogs for coursing game. I have regard and concern for them all, but I don't think I enjoy the closeness you have with Gem. But my dog boy, Gubbio, is quite fond of his charges, an affection the beasts return. He sleeps in the kennels with them. He's been with them so long I swear he can speak dog-talk."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Fild finds the later part of the discussion rather interesting. "Really? I didn't know humans could do that. Where are your estates if I may ask? I don't think you have the kennels and hawks in the city; little chance of game here. "
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Fild finds the later part of the discussion rather interesting. "Really? I didn't know humans could do that. Where are your estates if I may ask? I don't think you have the kennels and hawks in the city; little chance of game here. "
''My estate lies outside the old western boundary stones, at the edge of Povero. It was an open field when my grandfather purchased it, and we have been careful since not to overbuild. I enjoy the country life, as well as the city life. So why not have both close to home?"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

DESCRIPTION OF ALDRON:
VIEW CONTENT:
Handsome, athletic, above average height, clean-shaven, looks to be in his thirties, laurel colored hair, gray eyes, dressed in a high quality doublet and hose with a feathered hat, coin purse tied to belt, wears a cut-and-thrust sword at his hip and a dagger. Wears a ring, not much other jewelry.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Tom smiles at the comment.

"I'm sure Gubbio is a great guy and doing an excellent job. I can teach dogs some skills even if this one was a tough one!"

Says and pats Gem's head caressing it behind the ears.

"Isn't it boy? But now he is doing a great job!"

When Fild arrives Tom introduces him.

"Sir Aldron, this is my friend Fild you can hardly find a plumber better than him! And trust me he knows how to fight as well. Fild this is Sir Aldron, some thugs were giving him hard time at the alley, probably wanting to rob him but me and Gertie helped him and got them to run away. We even captured one, hopefully the police has found him by now."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:Tom smiles at the comment.

"I'm sure Gubbio is a great guy and doing an excellent job. I can teach dogs some skills even if this one was a tough one!"

Says and pats Gem's head caressing it behind the ears.

"Isn't it boy? But now he is doing a great job!"

When Fild arrives Tom introduces him.

"Sir Aldron, this is my friend Fild you can hardly find a plumber better than him! And trust me he knows how to fight as well. Fild this is Sir Aldron, some thugs were giving him hard time at the alley, probably wanting to rob him but me and Gertie helped him and got them to run away. We even captured one, hopefully the police has found him by now."

Aldron says, ''Yes, they were robbers. Bold ones, too, attacking me in the daylight here in the Municipal District. I usually travel with a pair of bodyguards, but I have to admit I was careless today. This isn't the Warehouse District at night. I just didn't expect that sort of trouble. The villains rushed me and drove me into that alley, scarce giving me a chance to draw breath and cry for aid."

Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Damien had slipped away for a moment to inspect the local authority's main building and observe the comings and goings of the place. He kept an eye on frequency of guards, and criminals being brought in if any as well as if anyone had already been hit with that 'water waste' penance. After getting a rough judgement he started off after where he had seen his friends getting off to and found they must have continued on. The crowds on the street were bustling, and he would eye the occasional well dressed person. 'No, got to find the others. Don't need to try and steal anything, that's what got me in this mess.'

After looking for awhile he managed to find the siblings and headed over to them. He noticed they were with another person and decided observe closely. He didn't know if they were planning to make him a mark or if they were conversating. They would probably tell him indirectly if they were. "Here is where you two rascals got off to," said Damien approaching the group. He had heard the tail end of the story and was impressed the siblings had managed to help the man drive off attackers. "Did you manage to get most of them? I rather hope they have learned their lesson if not."
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Fild thinks for a moment. "Sir Aldron, a fellow of your prestige and fortune certainly has enemies. I've heard a couple of things about how things are run in this city. Could it be possible that the robbers were sent by your enemies and it wasn't just a random, unfortunate coincidence? "
To Tom he says "Tom, could perhaps sir Aldon speak with this robber to see if we can figure whether he was randomly targeted or his enemies found an opening and stroke from the shadows?"
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Fild thinks for a moment. "Sir Aldron, a fellow of your prestige and fortune certainly has enemies. I've heard a couple of things about how things are run in this city. Could it be possible that the robbers were sent by your enemies and it wasn't just a random, unfortunate coincidence? "
To Tom he says "Tom, could perhaps sir Aldon speak with this robber to see if we can figure whether he was randomly targeted or his enemies found an opening and stroke from the shadows?"
''I don't have any enemies of whom I am aware. Not among the aristocracy, at least. You recall my friend Richard, he of the chamberpots and chimneys? That's Richard Savelle. And the Holbins often have me as a guest at Holbin House. I get on well with both families-- much better than they get on with each other, truth be told. But I suppose it could have been some corrupt petty official angered about my sponsorship of the reform party in the council. A few silver pennies pressed into the hands of alleymen might easily induce them to attack me. So I will certainly follow up on this as you suggest, Fild.”

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Alfonse looks down an alleyway, his nose wrinkling. "It doesn't exactly seem like a mugging is that uncommon in this area. Of course, if you do think someone is after you, we are the sort of people that could look into it and, I don't know, deal with the problem?"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Alfonse looks down an alleyway, his nose wrinkling. "It doesn't exactly seem like a mugging is that uncommon in this area. Of course, if you do think someone is after you, we are the sort of people that could look into it and, I don't know, deal with the problem?"

"Indeed. Well, at the Admiral's Arms we can all sit down to a good meal, some wine, and discuss such matters in comfort."

ALDRON leads the party on the town, weaving through the Mark District just south of the Municipal District. They pass the corner of a great plaza rimmed by stalls and decorated with statues of marble and bronze, rows of shops, and throngs of people shopping and working.

Their guide turns east onto Shore Street, a broad, well-paved boulevard that runs east-west though town and divides the commercial and residential quarters from the Warehouse District and the dockyards by the Bay. Fine residences of brick, masonry, hardwood, and stucco line the northern side of the street, mixed in with fancier shops, fencing schools, dancehalls, ordinaries and public houses.
By now the evening shadows have lengthened across the city.

ALDRON points out the Admiral's Arms, a thee story stucco and masonry building with green glass windows shaped like a portholes, and a big blue and gold signboard fixed above the broad front door.

As soon as the group enters the pub's main room, a serving-man posted near the entrance steps over. Seeing Aldron, the man bows. Straightening up, he says, "Master Folbre, you honor us with your choice." Looking over the party the servant says, "Welcome to the Admiral's Arms, my good lady, and you gentlemen."

Behind the server, the party sees people seated, standing, and walking about in the large, airy common room. At least half the servants are women, but most of the customers are men. A sea chantey sounds from somewhere further back. The smell of cooked fish mixes with wine and tobacco. The green-filtered light through the windows colors everything a shade murkier than objects appear by the daylight outside. Stairs lead up the east wall, not far from the entryway.

Aldron motions towards the stairs. "Is a private room available?"
The serving man dips his head. "Of course, Master Folbre. I shall send up a maid to clean it again, and --"

"Is it really dirty?"

"Ah, no."

"Then don't trouble the chambermaid, my dear fellow."
Aldron leads the party upstairs.

The serving man comes along. He unlocks a private room, cozier than the big common space downstairs, and fitted with nice quality hardwood furniture. A window admits greenish light. The serving man adds to that illumination by lightning an oil lamp on the table. He piles cushions on a chair to make a high seat for the gnome.
He then takes the party's orders for food and drink, before departing.

After he has left, Aldron sits down.

"Now, then, you all know me as Aldron. But you heard him call me Master Folbre, no doubt. I'm Aldron Folbre, Master of the Folbre family. As you are new to Povero, this may mean little to you. But today, Tom and Gertie--and their brave dog-- have helped out a man of affairs. And so I'd like to repay that most timely aid with a pleasant evening meal here, in celebration of ruffians routed, friends met, and opportunities opened. Not to spoil our coming repast with too much talk of business, but both Tom and Alfonse have mentioned that your party seeks employment. Why don’t you all tell me a bit more about yourselves, your travels and adventures? That information will help me think of work for you."

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

EARLIER IN THE DAY...
ewancummins wrote:TITUS

Varrus the Ethical wrote:Titus nods.

"Another time, then."

He digs into his purse and produces the required silver.

"Shall this do?"
The guard sergeant counts the money.
"Yes."
His men perform a hasty inspection of the wagon. Finding nothing like obvious contraband, they wave it through. And Titus, too.

Sergio bids Titus farewell and departs for the Market District, which lies south down the Bay Road.

Standing the street, Titus sees that the traffic of pedestrians, beasts of burden, and carts has begun to increase.
Looking about, he sees a number of houses and shops on either side of the masonry-paved avenue.Most of the businesses appear to be the sort that cater to travellers: inns, osterleries, wainwrights and farriers, hardtack bakeries, horse doctors, water sellers, money changers, and so on.

The fabled market plazas and luxury shops must be located in some other part of the city.

The nearest inn bears a colorful signboard depicting a clerical looking figure.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Fild pats the shortsword in his hip. "I'm a warrior." He simply says. "I had years of training in underbelly of the gnomish Ghetto and I follow the family tradition that requires each member to go out to the world, explore and grow and return back wiser and more worldly. I'm also a good and experienced plumber and could help your mansion with the lead pipes if you so desire. If you're more interested in gifts, I could, with time, provide leaden miniatures.
However, to be sincere I would prefer a more... active kind of employment sir Folbre. Is that the right way to address you? Sir Folbre? Master Folbre?" Fild said having lost his train of thought and diverting.
"I'm not that used in human etiquette and while you seem quite comfortable around me, I don't want to offend those around you. In my time with humans, I've learned that the lord may ignore a lapse of etiquette but the lord's butler and courtiers will be scandalized.

Anyway, I digress. I'm sure you have trusty bodyguards and allies to protect you and your merchandise. I believe, although I don't represent the whole group, that we would be more useful to you as your unknown allies. People know you, people know your employees and guards, but they don't know us.
I don't do dirty jobs though sir. You don't seem the kind to ask for someone to disappear in the night, but I still want it to be clear."
My DMGuild work!