Back to Basics Chapter 1: Where are we ?

Rafael's and Skybolt's Online Campaign
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Alia has headed back to the mule and after a brief search has pulled out a rather nice light crossbow with rosewood inlay and brass fittings. She has made something of a meal of stringing the thing - she does not appear to be stronger than she looks - but once strung she has handled it with some familiarity. It looks as if she has at least had some basic defend-the-caravan-from-raiders training.

"I suppose we shouldn't lose any time. does any body know which way they went? or...uh... how many there were? oh!"

She stares over at the other trio as they approach through the village

"THEY don't look like locals... perhaps we should ask them for help?"
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Sara eyes the new trio and nods to Alia.

"Sure thing, I see a boy is with them too. Maybe we need to tell the other too to keep an eye at him. We don't want anything happen to him too."

Sara approaches the trio and asks:

"Hello, my name is Sara Croft and this is Alia and Professor Aumn. If I'm not indiscreet are you lost too? Mists appear and got you here? Because this is what happened to us. They got me from Pont a Museau, in Richmulot and the other two are from Marsember. We heard strange creatures kidnapped the children of this village. We are willing to help as we can, are you with us?"
Last edited by VAN on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"I can try to keep calm. Ever since Mister Glim healed me from nearly dying, I lose my temper easily, Isidar."

Arnulf notices the same thing as his sister and Isidar do. When they spy the others, Arnulf remains calm. When they do meet up, Arnulf eyes the others casually as he listens to Sara. "My sister thinks we got teleported here, whatever that means. I have never heard of Pont A Musu or Richemulot. We are from Marsember ourselves. As for helping retrieve the missing children I am willing to help."
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

"Excellent. More able bodies up to the task. I on the other hand am quite limited to lending the aid of my years of study in healing and the practices of what some would term divine healing.
Ms. Croft, if you would be so kind to lend me the use of your horse, it would be most appreciated. Before I agree to aiding in this endeavor I must express that I require a dedicated guardsman. As you can quite plainly see..."
He says while indicating his frail condition,"I simply am not up to the task of engaging anything in combat."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

''Right, of course we'll help you search for the missing children. I'm Dalorna Fenswick, by the way. You've met my brother, Arnulf. This-''

She indicates the red-skinned dwarf woman-

''Is my friend, Isidar.''

The redheaded girl brushes away a stray lock, adjusts her satchel, and generally seems to put herself in order. She resumes speaking-

''We need to know: how many creatures came, how many children were taken, which direction did the creatures go when they left with their captives, and anything else that the locals can remember that might be helpful to us in searching. Arnulf, please go ask the local women about those things.''

After asking her brother to get more information for the party, she returns her attention to the others.

''Now, while my brother questions the women, we should organize ourselves as a proper search party. We need to know the capabilities of our team. Do any of you have experience as trackers or hunters? Anyone have militia training?''
Last edited by ewancummins on Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Alia appears to respond very well to Dalorna's approach... she seems much more confident with someone in charge.

"I haven't exactly had militia training, ma'am, but they taught me to use a crossbow when we were travelling up to Cormyr in case raiders attacked. they said i was quite a good shot. uh, for a beginner."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Sure thing sis!" The youth bounds off at once, looking back to make sure Lorna will be safe amongst these newcomers. Once he has spoken to as many women as he is able, he will return to report to his sister.

OOC: Lord Skybolt, I will accept any information you shall impart on me for Arnulf's search for information as he has no ranks in gather information at all.
Roofdrak
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Roofdrak »

The new travellers will see a dwarf with skin the color of red brick and chestnut hair braided into buns on each side of her head. Her braids are twined with gold wired. She wears polished silver scale armor that goes down to her thighs and is cinched around her waist with a broad leather belt inlaid with gold, from which her warhammer hangs. She has brown trousers with boots up to her knees. Hanging from a gold chain around her neck is a gold burning wheel symbol. She wears a hooded gray cloak. "I am a priestess of Gond and he has bestowed me with useful gifts. Unfortunately, none of these gifts involve tracking. Of course, all dwarves are ready for torst and handle themselves well in battle!"
Last edited by Roofdrak on Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuthRogan, RuthRogan, she's as strong as a fightin' man!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"I'm not a tracker either, you may say I'm a trap finder and I can also disable them. I can also use these guns and I'm rather good to them."

Sara pointed then her rapier.

"I have also my sword. But I prefer hide and attack from distance than actually enter in close combat."

Seeing Arnulf talk with the locals adds:

"I'm also good in gather information which might be useful now. So if you excuse me I'll go and ask the same questions, I may have better luck."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Dalorna asks the question after Sara has already left-

''Guns? What does she mean? ''

Shaking her head, the girl turns back to the remainder of the group.

''Well, we have no skilled tracker among us. We'll just have to make do. Now, let's have a quick look round for clues, shall we? Maybe we can find a monkey-man print in the dirt. None of us should go out of sight or hearing of the others- we may need to regroup and move very quickly, depending on the information Arnulf and Sara get for us. ''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

"Yes ma'am!"

Alia immediatly starts looking around for cluee... although with only a hazy idea what a "clue" may be
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

As Arnulf and Sara go to get more specific answers that Dalorna brought up to ask . They find out that 10 babies were stolen and some 9 younger children from the ages 5 to 10 were also taken . It seems to the women of the village that they're were at least dozen to a dozen and half of the creatures that raided the village and it happened all at once in a well coordinated attack while the men folk and teenage boys where out fishing .
They don't now where they came from or where they went to as it happened all at once in about a minute .

As the rest of the party are looking for clues as to the whereabouts of the children and in what direction they where taken they find some cast off shoes,ripped cloth,etc. that lead them to believe that the children where taken inland(west) into a forest . That is seen farther inland .
Last edited by Lord Skybolt on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Sara tells everyone that they are in Nova Vaasa and the village name is Arsem.

Then she goes back to the gathered women and asks:

"Do you know if there are any caves near here? Maybe these monkey-men live there. Also what is in the inland? forests, hills, swamp, lakes? what? Any information will be useful."
Last edited by VAN on Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- W H A T ! ? !
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Alia looks slightly nervously at the forest, but monkey men don't sound too dangerous. She leans over to the professor

"Where is Nova Vaasa, professor? I've never heard of it before"
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

The professor returns a inquisitive expression to Alia before answering. "I know nothing of any land called Nova Vassa. Though I have heard tell of a land that resides somewhere to the north of my own homeland of Muhlran by the name of Vassa. I suppose it is quite possible we have found ourselves there and perhaps the natives add the word or title of Nova as a proper way of identifying the land. Given our current small amount of knowledge, this would probably be the most probable scenario. Though I cannot discern as to why such a myriad and diverse collection of individuals would be transported here.