The Shattered City: OOC

Online roleplaying at the Café
User avatar
Cronax
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 456
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:52 pm
Location: Southern California

Post by Cronax »

yep, which is why I said the round after this one.

Also, don't forget that some magic items also have powers you can use. Every little bit helps.
"In normal times, evil would be fought by good. But in times like these, it must be fought by a different kind of evil."
User avatar
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 2165
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:35 pm

Post by DocBeard »

Should I keep mirror-sanctioning what turrets I can, or try to wade out there and use my Scorpion's GET OVER HERE power on Celodin?
User avatar
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 1859
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 12:54 am

Post by Isabella »

Doc - Slowed reduces your movement to 2 squares, but you can do everything you just did from the square L10, so no biggie.
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
User avatar
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: Southshore

Post by The Whistler »

Yeah, if Cedolin's weaknesses won't kick in until next round, I'll second wind alongside Darius and drop a daily on him when he's more vulnerable; I'm not sure I could stand another full barrage in my current position, otherwise.
User avatar
Cronax
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 456
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:52 pm
Location: Southern California

Post by Cronax »

The the center corridor turrets look to be hanging on by a thread, if one of you people yet to act can finish them off, it will mean they don't get another pot shot at us.
"In normal times, evil would be fought by good. But in times like these, it must be fought by a different kind of evil."
User avatar
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer
Posts: 5247
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:39 pm
Location: San Francisco CA

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

If you are thinking, "Boy, Darius is deficient in sense of self-preservation..."

You are right!
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
User avatar
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 6808
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:16 pm

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Heh heh, it is the return of the Fireball! :D It's nice to see it do so well, the first time I cast it this game. **** Elminster and all the other 'Fireballs are too simplistic' ancients, it's still a great spell. ^^

NT, sorry for the mess of rolls - I had to re-target when I realized I was about to incinerate fellow party members along with the intended target. :? Annnd that meant doing the damage roll over, as well. Je m'excuse.
Welcome to my webcomic, Sarcantasy.
You can read it here:

Comicfury; Tapas; Webtoon

Come drop by and leave a comment; you'll make my day.
User avatar
Nerit
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 637
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:22 am
Location: The Eternal Autumn
Contact:

Post by Nerit »

I return! I am rather intimidated by the amount of discussion enflamed by the battle. FYI, I will not be participating in that. You can offer me strategies but there's really no guarantee I'll understand what you want or that I can formulate positions, etc. My knowledge of the rules is still rudimentary despite a few years with 4e in Planescape.

In any case, if the post wasn't clear, Nerit is also a striker. She also has Initiate of the Faith if needed, I guess.
Petroselinum, salvia, ros marinus, et thymus.
Nuray Solak
User avatar
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 1266
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:44 pm
Location: Pennsylvania...or Baator

Post by yalenusveler »

Rock wrote:Heh heh, it is the return of the Fireball! :D It's nice to see it do so well, the first time I cast it this game. **** Elminster and all the other 'Fireballs are too simplistic' ancients, it's still a great spell. ^^

NT, sorry for the mess of rolls - I had to re-target when I realized I was about to incinerate fellow party members along with the intended target. :? Annnd that meant doing the damage roll over, as well. Je m'excuse.
Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to aim the fireball without hitting Darius or Nerit at the very least, due to Nerit moving to where she did. Otherwise, the Fireball could've been targeted at Aa. :( GM ruling here on the immediacy of movement?
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
User avatar
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 2165
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:35 pm

Post by DocBeard »

Well, Nerit, none of us are exactly experts. Thing is, we've got a choice between working together or Neo and Izy killing us. To put things in perspective, our first fight was a solo battle backed up by negative terrain, the party being split, and a web of traps that work like artillery minions except that they've got a decent amount of HP.

If my disagreement with Kage is what rattled you, let me expand on it; he was talking about what Cyrus would do ICly, I was talking about "D&D is a team sport.". I'm a Defender and someone who ICly would think about the latter foremost, but once Kage reminded me about the IC factor I immediately understood. We made up so quickly over instant messenger that I forgot how that might look to someone just stepping in.

Anyway, from your opening post I'd say you know what you are doing; that said, I very much hope that you'll be open to talking strategics with us, because I'm not kidding when I say that Neo and Izy play on hard mode. The most anyone would ever do is a logical argument ala Cronax's advice in the thread; I can be kind of gruff but my bark is way worse than my bite. But the psychological impact of the team taking a moment to pool our resources and get a hold on the encounter has turned plenty of seemingly hopeless situations around for us. Frankly, I think you'd be missing out on some of the fun.

But, like, Rock is in Europe and can't always make chat sessions, and we don't hold that against him. If it really makes you uncomfortable, that's okay, though me and Kage snapping at each other is honestly about as heated as things get.
User avatar
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 4119
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:00 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Post by NeoTiamat »

DocBeard wrote:To put things in perspective, our first fight was a solo battle backed up by negative terrain, the party being split, and a web of traps that work like artillery minions except that they've got a decent amount of HP.
Mind you, I expect even the Isabella and myself would have to work to equal that. But then, I like a challenge. :twisted:

Also, just as a general thing, keep track of the number of rerolls you make and make sure to post them in your thread. RTs are getting spent like water here, and I think I'm keep track of all of them, but keep me informed just in case.
Perry wrote:Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to aim the fireball without hitting Darius or Nerit at the very least, due to Nerit moving to where she did. Otherwise, the Fireball could've been targeted at Aa. GM ruling here on the immediacy of movement?
Isy's not around to confer with, so take this with a grain of salt, but in general we log movements and actions in the order they are posted. Which in this case seems to indicate that Rock has flamebroiled someone, but Isabella and I will discuss this when we update.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
User avatar
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 1859
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 12:54 am

Post by Isabella »

Rock, it takes a minor action to open the door, which you can do at distance with your Mage Hand. We're assuming you wanted that crit with the fireball a bit more than the flaming sphere, so well just remove the latter from the map. :wink:
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
User avatar
Cronax
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 456
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:52 pm
Location: Southern California

Post by Cronax »

Rock,

When you both hit and critical with an AoE, it works like this:

You roll you damage once for all the enemies normally hit. You use this same roll for calculating the damage on a miss (in the case that it is half). For the enemies critically hit, you maximize all the dice you would normally roll, then actually roll any critical hit dice from your implement on top of that (plus any static damage).
"In normal times, evil would be fought by good. But in times like these, it must be fought by a different kind of evil."
User avatar
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 2115
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:53 am
Location: Here and there
Contact:

Post by Kaitou Kage »

Okay, now Cedolin has vulnerabilty 5 all so now pile on the hurt!
User avatar
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: Southshore

Post by The Whistler »

So, if I did a thing that could potentially slide Cedolin three squares on each of my turns, where would you guys like me to move him to first?
Post Reply