Jester's 4e Ravenloft Pamphlet

Discussing all things Ravenloft
User avatar
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 2165
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:35 pm

Post by DocBeard »

Jeysus, Jester, you're a machine, man.
User avatar
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Posts: 4536
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:19 am
Location: A Canadian from Canadia

Post by Jester of the FoS »

I've been working on monsters since the release but never have enough...
It's what I do in my free time. I'm a full-time student who works part-time so I do have alot of free hours. Plus I have a laptop and can pluck away on it at work.
User avatar
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 2165
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:35 pm

Post by DocBeard »

Still impressive, man.
User avatar
Paladyn
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:53 am
Location: Tower on the roof
Contact:

Post by Paladyn »

Great job. One of monsters you present inspired me. Must develop this idea :)
I love shorcuts!:
"IMHO a SH HH should be a better RL DL"
- Kargatane mailing list member
------
My campaign's journal: [url]http://forgotten-epic.blogspot.com[/url]
User avatar
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Posts: 4536
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:19 am
Location: A Canadian from Canadia

Post by Jester of the FoS »

It's still rough. There are some errors to fix, hopefully some new variants and many more monsters.
Plus all the lore and such.

Right now in my current version I'm looking at 80-ish monsters (including cerebral and nosferatu vampires, darklings and 1/2 through some dreamspawn) with maybe another 10 in the works. I'd like to have it at a nice, even, impressive 100 monsters but that might be stretching.

I mean, there's alot of good Ravenloft monsters but many are probably better as hazards (the plants), many don't inspire me, and many are just uninteresting in 4e. Many are just tougher versions of old monsters (doppelganger, loup-garou, strahd undead, etc). Some are classic but just don't do anything really interesting that makes for good 4e combat (lebentold).
User avatar
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Posts: 4536
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:19 am
Location: A Canadian from Canadia

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Update of the monster document:
http://www.box.net/shared/cl68t1i4q5

Not quite finished yet, I'd like to double-check all my powers (since I've been writing and revising for so long some of the older ones look a bit "eh"). And I'm working on the table of contents and such.

This is also the first of my guides to be done exclusively in Word opposed to a bastard combination of Word and Open Office. I'm not an MS fan but I've had soooo many problems with Open Office I switched to 2007 which can make pdfs on its own.

Have a look through and let me know if you spot any huge errors, missing text, or problems waiting.
User avatar
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Posts: 4536
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:19 am
Location: A Canadian from Canadia

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Having counted through it looks like I ended with 95 monsters, 5 away from 100. Darn, that big round number was appealing. I could probably force out one or two more beasties, but another 5... that'd likely kill me. Although, looking at it I see a lack of higher level goblyns and vampyres. But I feel with this book, the MM, Dragon mag and Open Grave that there's enough material for a solid Ravenloft campaign or two.
User avatar
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow
Posts: 931
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:48 am
Location: Have gun, will travel
Contact:

Post by Pamela »

Do you have any plans to make a vehrteig?
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
User avatar
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Posts: 4536
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:19 am
Location: A Canadian from Canadia

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Other than fixing errors and minor revisions I'm pretty much ready to call the monster book as done.
I tried to do a mix of must-have monsters and ones that lended themselves well to 4e in a range (although I mostly favoured the heroic tier with a mix of paragon).
User avatar
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Posts: 4536
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:19 am
Location: A Canadian from Canadia

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Oops... looks like I forgot to post the finished version. While probably not perfect I think it's as good as I can get it without extra pairs of eyes. I've stared at it so long I just glaze over.

It should be up now.
User avatar
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow
Posts: 931
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:48 am
Location: Have gun, will travel
Contact:

Post by Pamela »

95 monsters is a lot, after all! Thanks for the finished version too; another one to add to the collection. :D
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
User avatar
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Posts: 4536
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:19 am
Location: A Canadian from Canadia

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Oops again. Wrong link for the monster book.
Looks like it's fixed now. :oops:
User avatar
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Posts: 4536
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:19 am
Location: A Canadian from Canadia

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Pamela wrote:95 monsters is a lot, after all! Thanks for the finished version too; another one to add to the collection. :D
95 monsters plus allergen rules, templates, and a quick-n-dirty rule for staking.
User avatar
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 2165
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:35 pm

Post by DocBeard »

Hey, interested in a writeup of expanded Barovia? I was thinking of putting my players through a visit to Ravenloft and thought it was a good excuse to make some updates to the place.
User avatar
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Posts: 4536
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:19 am
Location: A Canadian from Canadia

Post by Jester of the FoS »

I don't think it fits this thread or my "rules and only rules rule" but if you'll willing to type it up I'm sure we could find a place to hold it, either in the netbooks or DM tools sections, or by the Campaign Journals.
Post Reply