The Superfluous Name Thread

Discussing all things Ravenloft
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote: It is from german, of course: gotten = god, grabmal = tomb.
Well actually it is Gott = god. You`re dead on with grabmal though :wink:
If you meant to translate "god`s tomb" it would have been Gottes Grabmal. A weird name if ever there was one...
A real swiss/old german forename is Gotthard BTW (the german form of Goddard or Godehard). It means divinely firm, quite fitting for a cavalier type.

My other nick (on Wotc,Dicefreak and realmsofevil) is Thanael, also the name a PC of mine. I havn't found out yet if there is a hebrew translation for it, it`s a fantasy name i created but obviously based on Nathaniel/-ael.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Oh, I was sure I took "gotten" from a dictionary ;) Well it seems I changed something to alter its pronunciation...

(Well, it was a long time ago ...)

Joël
The_God_Brain
Conspirator
Conspirator

Re: The Superfluous Name Thread

Post by The_God_Brain »

Jason of the Fraternity wrote: What, if anything, is the origin of your member name?
It's Biblical.
[url]http://www.soundclick.com/godbrain[/url] check out my music.
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:Oh, I was sure I took "gotten" from a dictionary ;) Well it seems I changed something to alter its pronunciation...

Joël
:evil: No excuse! :evil: Kneel and beg forgiveness, immediately! :evil:

Or don't. I don't really care.
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Reginald de Curry wrote:
Joël of the Fraternity wrote:Oh, I was sure I took "gotten" from a dictionary ;) Well it seems I changed something to alter its pronunciation...

Joël
:evil: No excuse! :evil: Kneel and beg forgiveness, immediately! :evil:

Or don't. I don't really care.
he only begs to Drusilla, and then only if she is holding anything she could deal damage with... Which reminds me, we need new furniture in this place.
Swallow your soul!
Trevorfrost
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Trevorfrost »

Trevorfrost (more properly Trevor Frost) is the name of one of my first and most longest lasting Role Playing characters, a half-betazed medical officer for a Star Trek game... Unfortunatly real life politics somehow managed to get my character killed in game, but I still have a great fondness for him...
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."
-John Milton, Paradise Lost
Greywolf
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Greywolf »

Greywolf comes from my love of wolves and has been my nickname, which was given to me by my friends for over 10 years. oddly, I never have used that name for a character, I always thought it would be too cheesy. Like many of you I thought about using my first characters name which was Sigurd the barbarain from 2nd edition D&D, lot of great times with that one.
With every breath the air grows stale, Deathly cold winds howl and wail. Raging thunder pounds like drums, When something wicked this way comes
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

Cole Deschain is my longest-lasting and favorite PC of all time- created right around the time Domains of Dread came out.

When I actually used him in pen and paper RPGs, he almost always got lucky rolls- he outlived every other PC in the four campaigns he was involved in, had ludicrously good stats, and had the signal honor of killing the Whistling Fiend in "The Heart's Final Beat" when our group ran it... and all because he got disarmed and stabbed at the demon with the only weapon he had handy.

So I used him, both in the "Halfling Walks" series at the Goat (plug plug!) and the Galen Saga (where I killed him off because he was sorta confusing)

The surname, of course, if from Stephen King's Dark Tower series, the last name of the Last Gunslinger, Roland Deschain.

Cole I sorta picked at random because it sounded good with Deschain.
Go tell the Spartans, thou who passest by,
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
Kelliack
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Kelliack »

Kelliack is the name of an NPC in the Ravenloft campaign I ran. He was a cholarly wizard, whose personal interest lie in mapping out and recording, in texts, the various demi-planes within the ethereal. Ravenloft was his lst stop, he had already investigated the Dem-planes of Imprisonment, Time, Electro-Magnatisim and Shadow. Unfortunitly once he got into Ravenloft, he couldn't figure out how to leave it.

I picked his name because I really enjoyed running him.
HIEL YOG-SOTHOTH!
Charlatan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charlatan »

'Charlatan' was my favorite kit from the orinial MotRD. I use it most of the other boards I'm a member of, though recently I've begun varying my handle.
"One thing about livin' in Santa Carla I never could stomach... all the damn vampires."
Trebor Minntt
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Trebor Minntt »

Trebor Minntt was a charcter i invented as an Planescape NPC some 10 years ago and it stuck as a favourite. The name comes from a brand of mints in Britain known as Trebor Mints and I adapted the name whe i began using it online so as not to get accused of copyright when trying to get published on ps3e.com.

As for reading this, I feel old because I remeber people like Wiccy being called The Lost Wiccan, was that really 6 years ago?
I can feel the universe flowing through me,
I am more than man,
More than Life,
I am a GOD.

Kargatane refugee, 31/10/03
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Trebor Minntt wrote:As for reading this, I feel old because I remeber people like Wiccy being called The Lost Wiccan, was that really 6 years ago?
About five and a half I would say, but it does seem a long time huh? lol.
Swallow your soul!