Gazetteer Metaplot

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

cure wrote:The attack is Tepest is generally and perhaps wrongly attributed arround here, and perhaps in the Guides to Dopplegangers itself, to a doppleganger.
There are definitely doppelgangers in Tepest, and the VRF:D builds upon the GazV monster-list by saying that they've infiltrated the ranks of the goblins. (Partly, that's because the Tepestani humans are too poor and paranoid for them to bother with, and partly it's for variety. :wink:) I didn't actually lock it down that the "gray-skinned creature" was one of them, however; like S, Rookhausen never actually saw it, and deduced its nature secondhand from descriptions of its appearance.

FWIW, while dread doppelgangers aren't man-eaters by nature, they're far from the most mentally stable of creatures. If a human being can turn into a baby-sacrificing cannibal out of insanity, so can an individual doppelganger. But if the creature was a doppelganger, then it can't be one of the Thirteen, as dread doppelgangers can't have both a Vistani parent and an incubus parent.

Hmmm... maybe the gray-skinned creature was a doppelganger that the GC tried to impregnate, while it was disguised as a female Vistani? It could have played along with the Caller's seduction-attempt in order to sustain its deception, only to go insane from reading the incubus's mind. That could explain its subsequant fiendish behavior, if the thoughts of a demon had overwhelmed its own psyche. The GC might've just assumed that the creature mentioned in S's notes was his half-fiend offspring, when in fact his effort to sire a child failed (dopps being sterile unless they choose otherwise), and the slain "monster" was his GazV lover, not his child. How sick would that be? :twisted:

If so, then one of the Thirteen never actually existed, and the GC's plan -- and Azalin's too, perhaps -- has a hole in it that neither one suspects.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

What if the doppelgänger decided - out of madness, perhaps, after reading the GC's mind? - not to be sterile? The GC could've sired a half-doppelgänger then, right? (Note that I don't know how the half-doppelgänger thing works, I don't have the sourcebook they appear in.)
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Dread doppelgangers don't actually recombine genes with their mates; genetically, their offspring are clones. That's why countless generations of mating with humans haven't reduced them to a race of changelings, or eliminated their shapechanger traits altogether.

A standard MM doppelganger could possibly produce a half-fiend, half-doppelganger offspring, if that's what it was. Even so, the child wouldn't really qualify as one of the Thirteen Children, as it wouldn't have any Vistani blood. OTOH, if the original dopp in Tepest faked its own death (a doppelganger specialty :wink:), it might pretend to be its own half-Vistani/half-fiend offspring, in order to share in and/or sabotage the GC's plan.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

cure wrote:S has had enough adventures to add a few levels. In Kartakass, somewhere between her second and fourth domain, she casts what seemed to be Hold Person before proceeding to carve up a Wolfwere alive. But then again, Hold Person wouldn't work on a Wolfwere would it? And Hold Monster would be a much higher level spell . . . hmmm . . . .
Well, hold monster is a 5th level spell, so she'd be at least 9th level. Not particularly high.
Lucius
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Lucius »

Lucius wrote:
Matthew L. Martin wrote:
Sorry, but I've got too much respect for the Kargatane to reveal what I know without their go-ahead. You want me to talk, get John to let me off my leash. :wink:
So...John, Ryan, and all the other Kargatane members...ppleeeassee!!! Can he tell us what he knows?

Oh, and if you guys could tell us what do you know, we would love to hear it :D

Thanks!
Please guys..give us a "yes" or "no"....I´m goind mad with curiosity :wink:
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

They can't. They're contractually obliged not to reveal what they know, or so I recall. It's back in the thread somewhere.
Lucius
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Lucius »

Last week I DMed my own version of Azalin´s plan, a two parts adventure called "Shackles of Sin", the plot, as a little adventure hook is the following:

Azalin wants to ends with the curses of the darklords (specially his own curse). Among his "circles within circles" method, he also wants to posses the body of "S" and leaving his son´s bones.

In the first part he hires the party (maybe hiding his real identity) to Invidia, where Hunadora is being attacked by barovian forces, due to a rumor that the gundarakite rebels are keeping Tatyana´s current incarnation with them (in truth Tara was taken from Hazlan during Hazlik´s ritual, and is living in Darkon, with the Nevuchar Springs sect of Ezra).

Among the confusion the party must kidnap Gabriele´s daughter without hrmind Gabrielle. the child will be delivered Malocchio, as a gift from Azalin Rex.

Following these events Azalin will capture the 12 children of the Gentleman Caller using modified versions of mystic cages. With the twelve children and the aid of a fiend with the power to travel through the mist (adquired wit6h a power ritual performed in the mists), the lich will open a bridge between Darkon and Invidia, and combining the reality wrinkles of the 12 children he will free the Dukkar (just a temporary freedom). Azalin´s idea is to merge the power in the reality wrinkles of the Dukkars with the very planar fabric of the demiplane, thus making impossible to the Dark Powers to sustain the curses of the darklords. they will stay trapped inside their domains, but now being able to get what they most desire.

Azalin will also infuse "S" body with the reality wrinkles, and will transfer his own essence to this body, so even if his idea of taunting the Dark Powers releasing all the darklords fail, he at least will be free, and able to give a new life for Irik. And as a contingency plan, he will create a cloned "Dukkar´s body".

The problems starts with "S" running to Necropolis, refusing to be a part in Azalin´s plan. There she ends the suffering of her daughter, destroying her. So the party will be assigned with the task of finding S, but in their way they will be attacked by the tribe of Hyskosa, that will reveal Azalin´s purpose. In this part the party will have to choose between help Azalin or to stop the lich.

The Gentlemen Caller is unable to enter Avernus, since Azalin prepared a Mystic Cage around the castle, and allied himself with Isolde. The Gentleman Caller restored Tavelia to "un" life, and travelled to Necropolis to recover a book containing Azalin´s real name.

The incubus also explained death about Azalin´s plans and istructed the entity to send his servants to destroy the mystic cage around Avernus, since Azalin is concentrated with his plan and the borders of Darkon are opened.

With the help of Tavelia, the GC will try to use Azalin´s true name to control the lich and stop the plan, restoring his children to their right places until the righ time come.

And as a way to spread caos through the demiplane the GC will deliver some of "S" notes to the Fraternity of shados, as a way to "help" them to understand the nature of the demiplane.

I run this idea until the part where my players entered Necropolis and took "S" with them. They don´t know yet if they will help Azalin or not, but are travellig to Avernus, where the confrontation between Azalin and the GC will happen very soon.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Lord Cyclohexane wrote:(in response to the "S's bracer downloads her memories into a clone theory", posted by myself) BUT... You were the first with the "downloaded memories into the bracer" so you definitely kick ass! Congratulations!
I'm afraid I wasn't. ^^; After glancing back through the earlier parts of this very thread, I see Bloody Morgan beat me to the punch, I just don't think his theory was confirmed to be correct. Ah, well. I enjoyed the heady rush of being the first to be correct for a little while, anyways.
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

Lord Cyclohexane wrote:
Lord Cyclohexane wrote:
gonzoron wrote:EDIT: And you're right, I can't find any confirmation of Chezna. I must've confused speculation with confirmation. oops.
(snip)

But anyway, I don't believe that Chezna has any Vistani blood and so don't believe that she's a Child, but I'd have to go check "The Awakening" to confirm that she's a non-Vistani. (IIRC Chezna appears in "The Awakening" anyway)
Okay, I checked "The Awakening" and found that I'm wrong: Chezna is/was a Vistani and is now a Darkling. It doesn't mention if she's full or half-Vistani, nor does it say what crime she committed that got her kicked out.
Then she's disqualified from being one of the Thirteen. Half-Vistani don't become darklings since they're not fully accepted by Vistani culture to begin with, nor do they have all the powers of a full-blooded Vistani.
Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002.
Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights: www.nwnravenloft.com
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

Chezna is one of the thirteen.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Huzzah! Confirmation! Thanks, John. (Guess she's retconned to a half-vistani that was mistaken for a Darkling? or something like that?)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

Mangrum wrote:Chezna is one of the thirteen.
bah, that's what I get for trying to be a smarty-pants! :lol:

So she's not really a darkling then? Or was I mistaken that half-Vistani can't become darklings?
Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights: www.nwnravenloft.com
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Maybe her "darkling" appearance was an earlier, short-lived legacy of her half-fiend heritage? Either that, or the GC'd posed as a Vistana when he fathered Chezna on one of the gypsies, and her mother never realized (or admitted) that her daughter wasn't a true Vistana until after the girl had been banished.
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

She was a darkling in the same product that said Nova Vaasa has five moons.
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

Mangrum wrote:She was a darkling in the same product that said Nova Vaasa has five moons.
ah, a retcon then...I can live with that :wink: