Thank Ezra it's not Ravenloft (Dragonlance film)

Books, movies, television and everything else
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Undead Cabbage wrote:Daisy, I have to ask. What's with the random 300 picture?
alhoon wrote:I guess it is for us to compare a good image, done artistically etc with the DL movie.
:mrgreen: Oh, no. It was just that the expression on my face and the barking sound I made matched more or less with what good Leonidas says in that scene....

Dang, I mean, look at the cast they got. How can one possibly ruin a project that goes with such a high public attention...?

Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scarycount »

High public attention? Very few people at my school have even heard of Dragonlance, much less know about the movie.
Hail Strahd!
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: In one of Neil Gaiman's books, or at least I wish I was.

Post by Undead Cabbage »

I'm pretty sure Daisy's being sarcastic.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I'm glad Weis and Hickman removed Soth from Ravenloft, thus protecting their precious characters and fiction works from dilution of quality.

Looking at this sort of stuff they're allowing, it's clear Ravenloft is far too lowbrow and hardly a fitting tribute to their characters and work. :roll:
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

But not all is lost.

If the cartoon features Smurfs, that will rescue it from mediocrity.

For Smurfs are made, as anybody knows, from awesome.
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Scarycount wrote:High public attention? Very few people at my school have even heard of Dragonlance, much less know about the movie.
Undead Cabbage wrote:I'm pretty sure Daisy's being sarcastic.
No, not at all, friends. At least over here in Germany, the movie received some public media attention, mainly for Kiefer Sutherland starring in it.

It also made it into the respective mags about 24, Xena, Smallville etc that are published - for a Direct-to-DVD, the attention was pretty big.

What a shame that they messed it up like that.

Another D&D branch committing suicide... What a shame. :(
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

I'm glad Weis and Hickman removed Soth from Ravenloft, thus protecting their precious characters and fiction works from dilution of quality.
Perhaps so but Mr. Lowder did a great job with Soth, unfortunately I guess Hickman and Weiss thought diferently and removed Soth from RAvenloft :shock:
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

In all fairness, Specter was a heck of a lot better than Knight of the Black Rose.
Charlatan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charlatan »

The animation does look ameuterous (sic)... oh well, that's too bad. I'll still check it out at least rental to see if the story and dialogue remains good. How long is it supposed to be, just 90 or so minutes? That'd be way too short to do the whole book, maybe just the first half of it, like they did in the DL graphic novels that were mentioned (the first two of which weren't too bad, actually... the subsequent ones did serious blow though).
"One thing about livin' in Santa Carla I never could stomach... all the damn vampires."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

A bit over 90 mins and it will be quite packed in order to fit the whole book in. That's what worries me most. I don't mind the animation I grew up with such animation, I worry about how much compressed the book will be.
I guess we won't see much of the characters thoughts as it was in the books. Just the main quest and important action.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Ugh...

It looks like I will be avoiding something just a little bit more adamantly than I avoided that two girls and a cup tripe that every brain dead frat boy who logs onto the internet seems to think is must see material.

I second my own "Ugh"
Ornum
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Ornum »

I really wish I could say tha Weiss and Hickman know what they want and should end up pleasing the fans...but I can't. I just don't know how you can cram the book into a 90 minute movie. And the animation? To me, the whole thing just looks terrible, not just the 2D/computer combo idea (but then again, to me, it isn't Dragonlance without the artwork of Larry Elmore, so I might be biased). Also, from what I gather, Lucy Lawless didn't even know who Goldmoon was and is voicing her in the style of Xena. Oh. Dear. Lord.

*Sigh*

Of course, I'll still watch it, but I won't buy it. And if it turns out to be decent, I'll be the first to admit it.
Last edited by Ornum on Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Ornum wrote: Also, from what I gather, Lucy Lawless didn't even know who Goldmoon was and is voicing her in the style of Xena. Oh. Dear. Lord.
Why you think so? Is there any mention of it somewhere? It will be really bad if such is the case.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Ornum
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Ornum »

How about this? Direct from Lucy Lawless' own mouth.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.ph ... 0&id=38929
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Ouch.

What bothers me more isn't that she hasn't read the book before hand. It bothers me more that they said "Hey! She's famous for Xena's voice. Let's do that!"

They could have tried a bit harder with Lucy Lawless to find the right voice for Goldmoon, but instead they picked the easy way. It could have taken... what 1 more day? 4 more hours?
My DMGuild work!