Episode III SPOILERS

Books, movies, television and everything else
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

gonzoron wrote:True, but:
b) Maybe he dabbled a bit too much in the darkside and was starting to fall himself. Afterall, he was willing to kill Palpatine, when supposedly it's not the Jedi way.
Interesting. . . in episode II he kills the bounty hunter Fango without remorse, when the Jedi way is to cut off the hand of its opponent in such cases. Yoda showed that to Luk in episode V, Vader does that to Luk (only), even Lord Tyrannus seems hesitant to kill.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I finally saw the movie:
And sorry to say it, but:
I disagree with most of the bad critics I heard. It is just my opinion but:

- The "love" dialogues weren't long. While I agree they weren't good they are not longer than it takes to show how the couple reacts in private, how their relationship develops etc.

- I liked the fight with General Grevious that thinks he could much a Jedi (and a powerful one at that) in lightsaber skill, just because Dooku showed him how to not hurt himself with a lightsaber. And shows the general for the coward he is.

- I find resonable the turn of Anakin against children. . . Guys, it is NOT the first time he killed innocent children. I also liked that the film didn't show him killing any children.

- I found the manipulation of Lord Sidious to be very well timed. He didn't tell the truth about himself to Anakin too early, when the Jedi's ideals were quite strong so that he could turn him in just to end the war and not just to earn fame and acceptance. He doesn't say the truth too late so that a suitably corrupted Anakin would hack him down to get the glory of the kill without a trial. He plays on the man's ambitions, megalomania one would say, and his love/possessiveness for his wife.

- I liked the whole movie both the war and the turning.

- I find it reasonable that most Jedi (in the movie) were killed in an ambush. Remember the clones were programmed to obey every order of the Jedi commanding them, even suicidical ones. Nobody would have guessed that an "order 66" was given by even higher authority.

- The Anakin - Dooku fight explains why Vader isn't suprised at all that his mentor the Emperor says to Look to kill him so he can take his place. He knew the process.

- I liked that as much as Anakin turns to Vader he becomes more dark. First his hair, then he clings to the shadows, then his eyes turn a bit yellow and last, when he is totally consumed by hate he crawls towards his former friend with just one hand, burning. It seemed to me that the only thing that kept him going was the wish to crush Obi-wuan with his single hand.

- I liked that while it is foreshadowed from Episode II that Anakin is more powerful than Obi-wuan and better duelist, he is defeated by his own arrogance. If Obi-Wuan didn't told him something like "Don't try this, you can't do it, I'm in higher ground", Vader would have killed him. But nope. Obi-Wuan issued a challenge and the Arrogant young man had to respond in a suicidical attack.

- I also liked the Windu - Palpantine fight, where the Emperor manipulates Anakin to participate in the fight so he can turn him more to the dark side by having him attack his former allies and assist in their death. In this final act of treason, the real Anakin was defeated. It was a most fitting scene that the new person (the ambitious traitor) was given a new name.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

About the game mechanics:

Is it me, or does anyone else disagree that the Emperor's lighting does Just 3d10 damage? With a save for half on top of that!
While I agree that the lighting Dooku used did about that amount of damage, the Emperor's lighting was Far more.

Yoda seems more powerful to me than the Emperor in the movie. He seems defeated by bad luck IMO. Yet, they are both 20th level characters, and of about equal power (with the Emperor being slightly more powerful) in the book!

Vader should have been 12th level Jedi-Guardian/5th level Sith Lord/ 3rd level soldier IMO. After all, the Emperor declares that he is the most powerful Jedi in existance!
My DMGuild work!
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Coan wrote: Did I mention the dialogue? 'Don't make me kill you!' 'Arise Darth Vader' (why Vader? Everyone else was like 'Sidious, Maul, Plaguous')
I think I've got an answer for this one. ;) I think the Sith name of each Jedi who turns to the Dark Side reflects why they turned to the Dark Side, and/or something about their nature.

With "Darth" = dark, you add Sidious--the insidious, shadowy Palpatine; Maul, the brutal fighter; Tyrannous, the power-hungry; and Vader ("father"), who turns to the Dark Side to "save" his wife and children. (Even Plaguious fits, I think, with his name's connection to disease and his stated obsession with bringing the dead to life.)
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Brandi wrote:Van: By 'The Clone War' do you mean Star Wars Episode II or the animated Clone Wars miniseries that showed on Cartoon Network?a TV series
I meant Episode II.

Now I have seen the III, I confirm that I liked it much more than II! :)
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

alhoon wrote:It is all about what you expect. I expect a trash movie, with good visual effects and things going boom!
Exactly! That's why I liked the movie. :wink:
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

alhoon wrote:
gonzoron wrote: He was coughing because Mace Windu force-crushed his chest at the end of the Clone Wars cartoon
Hey! This used on a sentient being is a Dark side attack!
I'm sure it could be argued that Windu didn't know he was a cyborg and figured he was another droid.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

To crash the organs of someone/something you call on the dark side of the Force as when you throw the cool blue lighting. It is like the choke attack Vader use.

To push something back you use the telekinetic side of the Force, nothing more, nothing less. This is a different attack. If it has the side effect of crushing a creature's organs, then . . . well, enemies die if it is necessary. It doesn't lead to the Dark Side to attack a fighting enemy. Yoda use telekinesis as an attack usually.

What did Windu use?
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Well, see for yourself...

It's the end of chapter 25, I believe.

EDIT: (whoops, I tried to link to it on the cartoon network website, but they took them down it seems.) It seemed kinda like he grabbed grievous's metal rib cage, lifted him up, and squeezed, then dropped him.
If I recall correctly.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

Oh please.

Yoda flat-out says, in Empire Strikes Back, that a Jedi never uses the Force to attack.

Since every single Jedi, including Yoda, does preciesly that in the PT, I think we can safely assume that it doesn't matter. Lucas clearly doesn't care.
Go tell the Spartans, thou who passest by,
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

Cole Deschain wrote: Lucas clearly doesn't care.
He's rich so why would he care? He isn't doing prequels, he's rewritting his story to make more money.
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Cole Deschain wrote: Since every single Jedi, including Yoda, does preciesly that in the PT, I think we can safely assume that it doesn't matter.
Nope, Yoda uses the Force to propel things on Palpantine, not attack outright. Attacks with the Force are the Lighting emperor and Dooku use, the choke Vader uses, some life-draining abilities that nobody uses (like vamp. touch) etc.
gonzoron wrote: It seemed kinda like he grabbed grievous's metal rib cage, lifted him up, and squeezed, then dropped him.
If I recall correctly.
It sounds like he used a variation of the Choke, but instead of squeezing around one's neck, he squeezed around Grevious' rib cage.
My DMGuild work!
JinnTolser
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JinnTolser »

alhoon wrote:About the game mechanics:

Is it me, or does anyone else disagree that the Emperor's lighting does Just 3d10 damage? With a save for half on top of that!
While I agree that the lighting Dooku used did about that amount of damage, the Emperor's lighting was Far more.
Absolutely. It should be based on character level.

Nathan of the Frat wrote:I think I've got an answer for this one. ;) I think the Sith name of each Jedi who turns to the Dark Side reflects why they turned to the Dark Side, and/or something about their nature.

With "Darth" = dark, you add Sidious--the insidious, shadowy Palpatine; Maul, the brutal fighter; Tyrannous, the power-hungry; and Vader ("father"), who turns to the Dark Side to "save" his wife and children. (Even Plaguious fits, I think, with his name's connection to disease and his stated obsession with bringing the dead to life.)
This is an interesting point, one which I never considered. It doesn't stop most of the Sith names in the new trilogy from sounding silly and cliché though. :wink:

And when did killing suddenly become "not the Jedi way?" Luke Skywalker kills repeatedly in the fight to escape Jabba the Hutt. I'll grant that it does seem like they prefer not to kill unless they have to, but I don't remember ever hearing that they weren't supposed to kill until this movie.
Lost and Damned
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Lost and Damned »

gonzoron wrote:Well, see for yourself...

It's the end of chapter 25, I believe.

EDIT: (whoops, I tried to link to it on the cartoon network website, but they took them down it seems.) It seemed kinda like he grabbed grievous's metal rib cage, lifted him up, and squeezed, then dropped him.
If I recall correctly.
You can watch the Clone Wars Cartoon online from the offical star wars dot com website, though the picture size if your not a fan club member is quite small.
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural...

[url=http://www.drivethrurpg.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47_66&products_id=701&affiliate_id=6326]Support Ravenloft PDF's at Drive Thru RPGs NOW![/url]
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

alhoon wrote:Nope, Yoda uses the Force to propel things on Palpantine, not attack outright.
Which is what Vader does to Luke at Cloud City. It is an attack. Also, that little "force punch" he uses to send Palpatine ass over teakettle at the very beginning of the fight is most certainly a "force attack."

It's a typical example of how Lucas has taken his own continuity and flushed it down the crapper.
Go tell the Spartans, thou who passest by,
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.