The Shattered City: OOC

Online roleplaying at the Café
User avatar
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 4119
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:00 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Re: The Shattered City: OOC

Post by NeoTiamat »

Merry Christmas one and all!
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
User avatar
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 6808
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:16 pm

Re: The Shattered City: OOC

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Merry Christmas, everybody!
Welcome to my webcomic, Sarcantasy.
You can read it here:

Comicfury; Tapas; Webtoon

Come drop by and leave a comment; you'll make my day.
User avatar
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 6808
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:16 pm

Re: The Shattered City: OOC

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

I hope all of our American constituents are doing alright, despite the snowy misery that's come over the U.S. of A.
Welcome to my webcomic, Sarcantasy.
You can read it here:

Comicfury; Tapas; Webtoon

Come drop by and leave a comment; you'll make my day.
User avatar
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 4119
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:00 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Re: The Shattered City: OOC

Post by NeoTiamat »

Well. I'm alive, even if my back is still protesting from all the shoveling.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
User avatar
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: Southshore

Re: The Shattered City: OOC

Post by The Whistler »

I'm fine, albeit hosting extended family at the moment! Ended up driving out on the highway last night, though, which was ridiculously ill-advised.
User avatar
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 4119
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:00 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Re: The Shattered City: OOC

Post by NeoTiamat »

Good evening everyone. Or morning, perhaps.

It's been about six months since we last had a major discussion on the State of the Game here in the OOC thread, and about a month since we had some fairly heavy chat-based discussions. Since I think there are a few people I have not been able to track down and talk to, I'll summarize the situation.

The Problem: The basic problem is that the game is moving very slowly, and with I think one very vibrant exception, no one is really terribly enthused about the plot or the campaign as a whole. Now, I will say from the very start that this does not mean that I think that people hate the game. But I do think that we've lost that certain glimmer of enthusiasm, and that the game right now is just sort of limping along.

I did some number crunching, and I'll offer a few statistics for comparison between the Eye of Anubis and Shattered City (the lengths may be slightly off since Excel only uses exact 30-day months):

Length: EoA = ~589; SC = ~455
Total Posts: EoA = 6453; SC = 2934
Average Posts per Day: EoA = 10.95; SC = 6.44
Fastest Book (most Posts per Day): EoA Book 2 = 24.76; SC Book 2 = 10.11
Slowest Book (fewest Posts per Day): EoA Book 8 = 6.07; SC Book 4 = 4.69
Average Posts per Player per Day EoA = 1.46; SC = .71

By this point in the Eye of Anubis, in terms of time, the players were a third of the way through Book Ten. Essentially, Shattered City is going about half as fast and has covered half as much plot in what is really a rather significant period of time.

Book Four was originally intended to kick-start some interest in the game, untangle the plot some, and visit some more interesting locations. To an extent, it's been a success, and we've had some of the best set-pieces of the game (The Danse Macabre, the Midnight Market, the Train Battle). But the campaign hasn't really taken off.

Ultimately, there's a host of reasons for this. Some of it is the DMs fault, some of it is the PCs fault, some of it is Real Life mugging us in a dark alley. A significant part is probably a sort of vicious cycle developing between PC enthusiasm and DM enthusiasm (essentially, if the DMs come home and find that there have been ten posts in the past ten hours and stuff is happening, we want to post. If there've been three posts in the past three days, it's very easy to go 'It'll keep/we should wait for more players' and slack off. Which in turn leads to the PCs adopting the same attitude, and vice versa.)

Key point is that the game is sort of limping along. Everyone probably has their own theories why.

The Solution: So, talking things over a bit on AIM and so on, but I think it's best to have a big, group discussion. The way I see it, there's basically three ways we can go from here:

Status Quo: We keep doing what we're doing, the game continues for another 5-8 Chapters. We may all resolve to try harder, and the DMs will keep trying to find interesting plots, but essentially, we keep doing what we're doing.

Start Fresh: It is possible, with a bit of behind-the-scenes reshuffling and a few discreet retcons, to wrap up Shattered City's plot in the next Book. We do so, and then a little while later we start a new campaign, a sequel to Shattered City taking place some years down the line. The idea is that the change of scenery would instill some fresh life into the game, and also leave us without various plot-related baggage.

Draw a Curtain: We decide that between EoA and SC, we've been running one long campaign for about three years now, and that it has come to the end of its natural lifespan. As in the above, we wrap up in Book Five, and then call it a day. I am pretty sure no one actually wants this.

So, those are the three options as I see them. What do you think? Discuss.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
User avatar
Nerit
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 637
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:22 am
Location: The Eternal Autumn
Contact:

Re: The Shattered City: OOC

Post by Nerit »

I've said a lot in chat and in private, so I would like to see input from others before I reiterate (or affect others with) my own feelings.
Petroselinum, salvia, ros marinus, et thymus.
Nuray Solak
User avatar
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: Southshore

Re: The Shattered City: OOC

Post by The Whistler »

Same here, with the saying stuff! I'm okay with putting my vote out there preliminarily, though, if it helps: count me as a preference for "Start Fresh", though I'll happily go along with "Status Quo" if that ends up being the general consensus. I think a shot in the arm to the three-year metacampaign might help things, so long as the timeskip isn't ridiculously long--but whatever we decide, I'm in for the duration. :)
User avatar
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer
Posts: 5247
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:39 pm
Location: San Francisco CA

Re: The Shattered City: OOC

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

I am pretty content with any of the three, but for either of the latter two my own involvement is likely to be "Draw a Curtain". This isn't a sure thing, but I have enough new stuff going on that I will probably go that route.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
User avatar
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 6808
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:16 pm

Re: The Shattered City: OOC

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

I'm mostly in favor of continuing, with starting fresh as second.

I loved EoA, I'm quite fond of SC despite the setbacks, and I just want to keep going if that is at all possible.
Welcome to my webcomic, Sarcantasy.
You can read it here:

Comicfury; Tapas; Webtoon

Come drop by and leave a comment; you'll make my day.
User avatar
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 1795
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:12 am
Location: Biding my time...

Re: The Shattered City: OOC

Post by lostboy »

I'd rather continue than anything, however I have to be realistic about real life and that means I'm not going to be posting every day. Still I love this game and don't want to see it just fade away, so either of the first two options work for me. If you pushed me though I,d go for status quo quite happily...
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
User avatar
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 1266
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:44 pm
Location: Pennsylvania...or Baator

Re: The Shattered City: OOC

Post by yalenusveler »

I'm actually going to throw my hat in to the continue faction. Part of the problem is I think we haven't had an identifiable enemy. With things going as they are, I think we're about to get the smashable face. And that will be lovely. Plus I like the SC characters and the vibe, and things are finally sane enough that I can post six times a day again!
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
User avatar
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 2115
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:53 am
Location: Here and there
Contact:

Re: The Shattered City: OOC

Post by Kaitou Kage »

I vote for continuing, mostly because I really, really like Rex and have plans and goals for him. The one big thing I think would help is if the chapters each had less going on in them. To me, anyway, it feels like each chapter has like fifty thousand things going on, while EoA was usually a pretty clear goal to follow. I think if we were on Chapter 8 now instead of 4, but were still at the same place in the story, we'd feel less like the game was dragging. Does that make sense?
User avatar
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 1795
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:12 am
Location: Biding my time...

Re: The Shattered City: OOC

Post by lostboy »

Happy new year everyone, may your 2011 be deliciously Gothic and misty..
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
User avatar
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Posts: 6808
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:16 pm

Re: The Shattered City: OOC

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

A happy and blessed New Year to one and all! ^^
Welcome to my webcomic, Sarcantasy.
You can read it here:

Comicfury; Tapas; Webtoon

Come drop by and leave a comment; you'll make my day.
Post Reply