Ghosts of Gauntcliff IC: Chapter 1

Online roleplaying at the Café
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ghosts of Gauntcliff IC: Chapter 1

Post by steveflam »

Juergin exits the hall and moves quite fast as if with purpose. He makes it back to his room and enters, closing the door behind him.
He moves quickly to the water basin and grabs a towel. Splashing his face with water, he rubs his face thoroughly, omitting the eyes. After a few splashes he feels better. Sighing, he dries his face with the towel. Thinking about it, he changes into his travelling clothes.
Feeling better, he smiles and grips the piece attached to his necklace, bringing it to his lips and kissing it. "I love you Poppa and I promise to make you proud of me and avenge you", he says in Lamordian.

He exits his room and soon finds himself back in the dining hall. Looking around, he spies Petrie, Benn, Dorgio, Sancerre and some others from the ship. He then sees Captain Griffith and his spirits rise. He walks towards Captain Griffith and relaxes finally. He arrives at the man and announces his presence "Herr Capitan,I am glad to see you here, mein freund. I haff to admit you run you ship as vell as mein Poppa unt I don't say dat lightly. You know vut I mean, Herr Griffith. I know I is younk but I do know vwut I is talk about. I just wanted to tell you in front of all dese nice people dat I appreciaten your kindness in letting me aboard your ship unt vwurk on it. I am glad to haf maden your acquaintance unt been a part of your crew."

Juergin holds out his small hand to the Captain for a handshake.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Griffith grips Juergin's outstretched hand with his own rough paw, shakes two or three times, and then claps the boy on the shoulder.

''It was good to have you on the voyage, lad. I was telling Mister Cruikshank just an hour past, 'It's too bad that young Juergin can't stay on as cabin boy. He's done good work; pulled his weight like a proper tar."

Elliana favors Juergin with a modest smile.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Ah, tank you, Capitan. I haff five years experience as you know. Vwen I chose once again to take to deiner sea, I vwill look for you. Dis is very nice chateau, ja? I never seen so many knife and fork unt shpoons for one person." Juergin smiles shyly back at Eliana. "Guten Tag, Frau Eliana. It ist nice to see you again."
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Ail wrote:"To answer your question, Ms Primeiro, I have first known Ms Sancerre here on this island, so no, I'm not his associate. I have a more touristic and scholar interest on this island, somewhat. In my time in Pont, I have had regular contacts with Dorgio, and he told me of this island... this spa. I was attracted to it, and I made some arrangements. Belenus be praised, in the end everything worked out and here I am."
"Fascinating. Well, I am glad that Belenus does not enforce a strict ascetism, Eustace," Primeiro says. "I believe there are some churches or sects which would not allow their priests to go to such a relaxing place as this." Raising his wine glass as though to examine its contents, he pointedly lifts his gaze past Eustace to focus on Everline on the other side. "I feel that spiritual growth often requires one to experience both the highs and lows of existence, and that includes occasionally indulging in earthly pleasures."

Responding to Sancerre, he says, "An art collection on Ghastria? So that's true? I had read something about that, but had dismissed it as unlikely. Hmmm. I may have to visit one day. Painting is a favorite subject of mine, along with agriculture, as I told my new friend here earlier." He smiles and raises his glass toward Bennedict.
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Benn raises his own glass to return the salute. "Indeed, I have many places I'm interested to explore. Perhaps we could simply schedule a group walking tour of the island sometime to hit these locations over the course of a day?"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
PathOfDreams
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by PathOfDreams »

Petrie's gaze toward the cliffs and the expanse of the sea seemed to have hypnotized him for a brief moment. When Juergin appears at his side, Petrie snaps out of it and swivels to address the boy. "Sorry laddy...for your loss."

Petrie watches solemnly as Juergin turns and leaves the dining hall. Suddenly his own tragedy rushes forth inhis mind. I really am sorry me boy. I know how it feels to lose all that you have. Petrie hangs his own head then sighting the open bottle in his grip, he swigs hard from it to pull himself back to the present.

Realizing the luncheon is nearly underway, he approaches the gaggle around the host and interjects when there is a lull in conversation. "Mr. Sancerre, we've not been 'ad an introduction proper like. My name is Petrie MacLugash, allow me to thank you for the hospitatlity at this fine place you've gotten 'ere." Petrie extends his hand to his host. "I was just admiring the view there, 'tis nothing like I've seen." He gestures toward the windows with a jerk of his head.
The Fall of House Pancrazio
Goran Pancrazio - http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=165152
Ghosts of Gauntcliff
Petrie MacLugash - http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=339286
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Sancerre answers Primeiro,

''Yes, he's a collector. I'm not an expert on painting, but I do recognize good quality work when I see it. The marquis has got a lovely oil canvas hanging in his solarium, a winter scene with skaters on a frozen pond. The little figures have a certain illusion of motion, they seem to dance across the ice.

That's Karl Gessel's work- do you know the artist? He's from Lamordia, but he works in Levkarest now. I plan to commision something from him, next time I'm in that city."

Denys tells Benn, ''Yes, a walking tour! It may begin a little after this meal, if you like.Walking is good for the body, especially after wine and food. Any of you who feel indisposed to walk should, of course, feel free to remain here. My servants will provide for your needs. If anyone wishes to take the waters, my servants will arrange that as well."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

PathOfDreams wrote:Realizing the luncheon is nearly underway, he approaches the gaggle around the host and interjects when there is a lull in conversation. "Mr. Sancerre, we've not been 'ad an introduction proper like. My name is Petrie MacLugash, allow me to thank you for the hospitatlity at this fine place you've gotten 'ere." Petrie extends his hand to his host. "I was just admiring the view there, 'tis nothing like I've seen." He gestures toward the windows with a jerk of his head.

Denys shakes Petrie's hand.

''Yes, it is lovely. You can see, I'm sure, why I decided to build my new home here. There's more of the island to see, Monsieur. I hope you will accompany us on the walking tour."

Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

Dorgio is about to reply to Eustace's observation about the similarity between their faiths when he sees Elianna walk in...on the captain's arm. Whatever the priest was going to say is lost as his face becomes a blank mask for a few heartbeats that feel all too long behind his ribs.

When the toast is called, he dutifully raises his glass. "Egészségedre!" he toasts in Luktar, hoping his demeanor does not betray the sudden stab of jealousy that is only deepened when he sees the subtle glances the captain steals towards her during the dinner, glances so subtle that Dorgio doubts anybody notices but himself.
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

A servant boy walks in with a green glass vase containing wildflowers; wild red roses, goldenrods, bishop's weed, and exotic light purple flute-like flowers.

The page takes the bouquet to Elliana.

''Oh!'' She squeals with delight.

The Captain immediately says to her, ''I was on my way to see you when I found these. They were..."

Before he can finish his sentence, she turns to embrace him, and plants a little kiss on his stubbled cheek.

''Oh, Captain Griffith, how lovely! Thank you ever so much! I really do love wildflowers. "

Griffith responds, ''I'm glad you like them."

He smiles like a cat with a goldfish in its mouth.
Last edited by ewancummins on Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict arches an eyebrow across the table at Dorgio, clearly unsure of what is going on with his female companion.

"That would be wonderful, Herr Sancerre. I'm sure the island is made only the more spectacular in the light of late afternoon and the stars of the evening. Will you feel up to joining us, darling?" He turns to Charlotte to see if she feels like coming along.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Bennedict arches an eyebrow across the table at Dorgio, clearly unsure of what is going on with his female companion.

"That would be wonderful, Herr Sancerre. I'm sure the island is made only the more spectacular in the light of late afternoon and the stars of the evening. Will you feel up to joining us, darling?" He turns to Charlotte to see if she feels like coming along.
Charlotte smiles sweetly at her husband.
''Yes, of course. "

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

With everyone seated, and drinks served, the servants now uncover the plates before Denys and all his guests.

On each plate are several small cakes stuffed with pinkish matter, grilled fillet of fish, slices of citrus fruit, and greens sprinkled with olive oil. The food carries a pleasant scent of sea-salt and spices.

Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

"Yes captain, wherever did you find them? I would be loving to here how you were finding time to be foraging." He doesn't bother hiding the acid in his tone now, though there is as much anger at himself than as at the erstwhile captain. Could Dorgio have truly been so blinded by his desire for the woman that he'd failed to see the same thing in Griffith until now?

"That is reminding me," he says at last, turning to Benn, the shades of his old hack-job at Mordentish syntax a sign of his anger. "When I was out I found some very strange flowers indeed." He describes the flute-like bright pink flowers, and produces a handful of the silver, tear-shaped berries from his pocket. "What are you making of them?"
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

ewancummins wrote:"The marquis has got a lovely oil canvas hanging in his solarium, a winter scene with skaters on a frozen pond. The little figures have a certain illusion of motion, they seem to dance across the ice.

"That's Karl Gessel's work- do you know the artist? He's from Lamordia, but he works in Levkarest now. I plan to commision something from him, next time I'm in that city."
"I've heard the man's name bandied about," says Primeiro, nodding. "It does sound like an intriguing work."

He smiles with enthusiasm at the suggestion of a walking tour. "Yes, I'd be happy to participate in that, as well, and get a better look at this place you've made your home, monsieur."

Primeiro relishes each bite of his meal with equal enthusiasm. He notices a slight change in Dorgio's tone from earlier today, but he decides it's best to not question it.

"My compliments to you and your staff, Monsieur Sancerre," he says after one more bit of fish. "Say, do you maintain a residence on the mainland or would you consider Gauntcliff to now be your home, more or less? If you do remain here, I dare say you'll be well fed!"
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham