The Shattered City: Chapter One
- Nerit
- Evil Genius

- Posts: 637
- Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:22 am
- Location: The Eternal Autumn
- Contact:
The nun lifted her head. As she did so, a silhouette in the glass caught her eye. A woman, auburn hair.
She whipped her head over her shoulder. The veil didn't exactly help her peripheral vision, but no one was behind her. And not in the glass when her gaze came back around.
Seeing things? She shook her head. Could it have been...?
She whipped her head over her shoulder. The veil didn't exactly help her peripheral vision, but no one was behind her. And not in the glass when her gaze came back around.
Seeing things? She shook her head. Could it have been...?
"Nothing of the sort Miss Blackwood." Agale gave a smug smile. "As it has been over three hours since the crime was noticed and the good captain is no longer scouring the scene, we can safely assume that the gendarme has concluded its search for clues at the scene. No, in this matter we are merely concerned private individuals speculating on the nature of an intriguing caper." He then raises his voice a few decibels so it can be heard throughout most of the hall clearly, "As long as nothing is touched or disturbed, the responsibility for delivering justice remains with the good captain.""But is this really alright, professor?" Alice asked politely, with a kind laugh but a dubious expression. "I think I missed the bit where we all were deputized. I didn't quite expect to be investigating the biggest theft in the city when I went out tonight!"
* * *
Agale did his best to ignore the growing fascination with potted plants, but could not help raising an eyebrow and rolling his eyes. Clasping his hands behind his back and turning to more sensible persons present.
"Ambassador Vedarrak you say? Your tone implies you have had dealings with this individual in the past, and that they were none too pleasant. Do not be too quick to rule out Darkon either, their ruler's capacity for this kind of endeavor is well known."
"Thats some kind of alchemical acid, correct? Very pricey commodity I believe." He eyed Cyrus suspiciously "Also, only produced in your homeland Dommer if I recall." Agale paused a moment, lost in thought. "But no, that doesn't add up. I can't imagine the Hazlani having any motive whatsoever to want a Dementliu in chaos." He shook his head, "Nevertheless, if we return to previous hypotheses, the only merchant I know in this city capable of procuring any reasonable quantity of the substance is one Mr. Canderli.""Professor?" he called, addressing the assembled academics, most notably Andre, who seemed to have the rank here, "Do you know where someone in Dementlieu would get gal-zuur?"
Last edited by Cronax on Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- yalenusveler
- Evil Genius

- Posts: 1266
- Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:44 pm
- Location: Pennsylvania...or Baator
"I wish I knew." Kerrian said simply, rather surprised to have a response other than accusations of madness. "I don't know how much information I'll be able to get. With what was just said about it being an acid...I mean, if it was something that produced heat or light, I could probably get a timeframe, but with it being some kind of Acid.." Kerrian shrugged "I don't know how helpful they'll be. But it's worth a shot. I'll need some things from back at the Chateau though, if someone would be willing to go back with me to retrieve them?"The Whistler wrote:
“How thoroughly singular a talent, M. Mauganson! From whence does it stem? Though I blush to admit it, I have often wished to keep the counsel of my own garden’s residents, but they have thus far resisted every attempt at interrogation.” She giggled, then checked herself. “Ah, but I interrupt! Say your piece, only let me observe the event with the acuity it demands.”
With that, she proceeded to attend to the potted plants, rather as if she expected them to pull a pistol on Kerrian at any moment.
It was perhaps a sign that Kerrian was already expecting a no in that he was partway to the egress himself as he asked for accompaniment.
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
- NeoTiamat
- Evil Genius

- Posts: 4119
- Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:00 pm
- Gender: Male
- Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Guignol Museum, University of Dementlieu, Port-a-Lucine; March 9th, 770, 8:22 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Say what you will about Marcos Vedarrak, but lack of daring is not one of his flaws." Andre said, lips tight. "Nor lack of common sense. If Vedarrak was involved in this, he'd have accounted for every factor."
The landlord lifted his hands vaguely into the air, though it seemed too distracted and half-hearted to be of any mystic significance. He didn't move or say anything for the next minute, which given the general behavior he had exhibited, wasn't really that out of character. Still, as you moved about the pilfered exhibit, an unpleasant chill began to permeate the area, a deep cold that settled into your bones. Katja grimaced and put her hand to the cloth around her head, as if the old wound was suddenly flaring up.
"There are spells upon the broken cases," Devereux said, his voice clearer and deeper. "Spells of Binding. Spells of Warding. Spells of Creation."
"Warding... that's probably the Arcane Locks. Binding might be a protective circle of some sort... but... creation?" Andre asked himself, settling into one of his thinking paces.
"Within the glass... a spell to strengthen it," Devereux replied, his violet eyes wide and unblinking.
"Can you tell what the circle of protection was warding against?" Professor Lessard asked Devereux, holding his hands slightly out as if he was ready the catch the author.
"No," Devereux said.
"So much for narrowing down anything, then. I'll write to the curator about it, though I suspect it will languish on her desk along with everything else that gets sent to her. Marie Chastel likes to make her own archeological digs in her office," Andre cursed.
"Tomorrow," Thierri said, vanishing the coin into his hand. "Her shop is closed now."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mr. Agale wrote:"Ambassador Vedarrak you say? Your tone implies you have had dealings with this individual in the past, and that they were none too pleasant. Do not be too quick to rule out Darkon either, their ruler's capacity for this kind of endeavor is well known."
"Not particularly, no." Professor Marchand-Renier shook his head. "Most scholars would have nothing to do with him in that case, quite aside from becoming an instant persona non grata in Dementlieu. But there would always be a few fellow snakes who wouldn't care."Lia wrote:"That snake is still slithering about then, is he?" Lia asks, her voice flat with dislike. "Still. Are you certain he would dare, considering his academic connections? He wouldn't be very welcome anymore in the international academic community if he was ever discovered to have done something like this, would he?"
"Say what you will about Marcos Vedarrak, but lack of daring is not one of his flaws." Andre said, lips tight. "Nor lack of common sense. If Vedarrak was involved in this, he'd have accounted for every factor."
"Er..." Devereux seemed to have been distracted by Tomas' epic battle with a half-inch insect. "Of course... Lia."Rock wrote:"Charles?" Lia says, making her way over to Devereux and giving him a fortifying smile. "if you feel up to it, would you please shift your perception and see what you can find as far as magic is concerned? You might see something I have missed -- my own attempt was inconclusive."
The landlord lifted his hands vaguely into the air, though it seemed too distracted and half-hearted to be of any mystic significance. He didn't move or say anything for the next minute, which given the general behavior he had exhibited, wasn't really that out of character. Still, as you moved about the pilfered exhibit, an unpleasant chill began to permeate the area, a deep cold that settled into your bones. Katja grimaced and put her hand to the cloth around her head, as if the old wound was suddenly flaring up.
"There are spells upon the broken cases," Devereux said, his voice clearer and deeper. "Spells of Binding. Spells of Warding. Spells of Creation."
"Warding... that's probably the Arcane Locks. Binding might be a protective circle of some sort... but... creation?" Andre asked himself, settling into one of his thinking paces.
"Within the glass... a spell to strengthen it," Devereux replied, his violet eyes wide and unblinking.
"Can you tell what the circle of protection was warding against?" Professor Lessard asked Devereux, holding his hands slightly out as if he was ready the catch the author.
"No," Devereux said.
"So much for narrowing down anything, then. I'll write to the curator about it, though I suspect it will languish on her desk along with everything else that gets sent to her. Marie Chastel likes to make her own archeological digs in her office," Andre cursed.
"3 PM, as I said. And you can just take the plant home with you." Andre waved a hand. "It'll probably live longer if it got away from here, if nothing else." He added under his breath. "I'd probably live longer too..."Kerrian wrote:Kerrian shrugged "I don't know how helpful they'll be. But it's worth a shot. I'll need some things from back at the Chateau though, if someone would be willing to go back with me to retrieve them?"
Kerrian was already making his way to the egress when he turned back to ask Professor Theroux a question "When were they first noticed to be missing?"
"I'm afraid... I don't know anything... useful," Devereux replied,his normal speech returning after he had finished examining the crime scene. "They were heirlooms from... my grandparents. I don't know...who they were sold to. I was... very ill, at the time."The Whistler wrote:"…friend Devereux, you simply must unburden to me the history of your parents’ collection, when a suitable opportunity is presented. I should be most grateful!”
"Mme. Canderli. I know where her shop is. A bit paranoid, but her wares are decent quality," Thierri added, irritably flipping the coin across his hand. He gave Cyrus a bit of a sly look. "I would gladly introduce you, dommer. Perhaps you've heard of her already. Mme. Canderli had to flee the Lawgiver Church a while back - seems she dared to think that rulers had a responsibility to the people they ruled."Cronax wrote:"Thats some kind of alchemical acid, correct? Very pricey commodity I believe." He eyed Cyrus suspiciously "Also, only produced in your homeland Dommer if I recall." Agale paused a moment, lost in thought. "But no, that doesn't add up. I can't imagine the Hazlani having any motive whatsoever to want a Dementliu in chaos." He shook his head, "Nevertheless, if we return to previous hypotheses, the only merchant I know in this city capable of procuring any reasonable quantity of the substance is one Mr. Canderli."
"Tomorrow," Thierri said, vanishing the coin into his hand. "Her shop is closed now."
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
- Kaitou Kage
- Evil Genius

- Posts: 2115
- Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:53 am
- Location: Here and there
- Contact:
"Indeed," Cyrus said, clasping his hands behind his back, "It is a magical acid. It melts through almost anything and has to be kept in gold containers. I saw my eldest brother, a Red Wizard, use it once to etch some runes." The "once" was said with definitiveness that suggested this was especially important.Mr Agale wrote:"Thats some kind of alchemical acid, correct? Very pricey commodity I believe." He eyed Cyrus suspiciously "Also, only produced in your homeland Dommer if I recall." Agale paused a moment, lost in thought. "But no, that doesn't add up. I can't imagine the Hazlani having any motive whatsoever to want a Dementliu in chaos." He shook his head, "Nevertheless, if we return to previous hypotheses, the only merchant I know in this city capable of procuring any reasonable quantity of the substance is one Mr. Canderli."
The priest paused and gently patted the velvet pillow. "My brother once told me that someone using the right magic commands can cause gal-zuur to burn only through specific materials."
He turned to Thierri and smiled coolly at the magician. The Hazlani's viper smile was perfectly collected as he completely ignored the man's insult. His entire demeanor suggested the comment wasn't even worth his response.
"I would like to meet this Canderli, then. Gal-zuur is so difficult and expensive to make and keep. Seeing it outside of Hazlan is rare enough to be significant. There might even be legal issues involved."
Last edited by Kaitou Kage on Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I should go with you, then, Cyrus." Tomas offers, suddenly. "Though, if you will indulge me, I would also like to see young Kerrian's interrogation of der ficus." Tomas turns to smile at Kerrian, hoping he does not think Tomas is making fun of him. "It sounds like something to see."
"I have to say, Agale, you do the whole detective thing very well, though." Tomas grins, clapping Mister Agale on the shoulder in friendly ignorance of the 'KEEP YOUR DISTANCE' waves the man sends off. "Keep it up and we might start calling you Alanik! Hao hao hao!"
"Anyway, as fun as it would be to have an excuse to break all of der bones in Vedarrak's body." This is said as though Tomas were talking about taking his precocious young niece to the park for a day out, "How does he benefit from things getting worse around here? If the government goes completely to pot, he's out of a job." Tomas shrugs at this, keeping his political opinion on the Falkovian Menace to himself. "Do we have anything else to do here? Mister Agale makes sense about the gendarme, but I don't think hanging around a crime scene is a good idea."
"I have to say, Agale, you do the whole detective thing very well, though." Tomas grins, clapping Mister Agale on the shoulder in friendly ignorance of the 'KEEP YOUR DISTANCE' waves the man sends off. "Keep it up and we might start calling you Alanik! Hao hao hao!"
"Anyway, as fun as it would be to have an excuse to break all of der bones in Vedarrak's body." This is said as though Tomas were talking about taking his precocious young niece to the park for a day out, "How does he benefit from things getting worse around here? If the government goes completely to pot, he's out of a job." Tomas shrugs at this, keeping his political opinion on the Falkovian Menace to himself. "Do we have anything else to do here? Mister Agale makes sense about the gendarme, but I don't think hanging around a crime scene is a good idea."
- Rock of the Fraternity
- Evil Genius

- Posts: 6808
- Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:16 pm
"I would be more than happy to accompany you," Lia offers, "and perhaps assist you in whatever small way I might do so? Communicating with the green is a ... ritual magic, is it not? Perhaps I can help you by doing some of the scutwork, or by joining my energies to yours."yalenusveler wrote:"I'll need some things from back at the Chateau though, if someone would be willing to go back with me to retrieve them?" It was perhaps a sign that Kerrian was already expecting a no in that he was partway to the egress himself as he asked for accompaniment.
- Kaitou Kage
- Evil Genius

- Posts: 2115
- Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:53 am
- Location: Here and there
- Contact:
"Should you, now?" the dommer said. His words came out slowly, as if he was either considering the matter very heavily or tasting something he wasn't sure he liked. "We will see."Tomas wrote: "I should go with you, then, Cyrus." Tomas offers, suddenly. "Though, if you will indulge me, I would also like to see young Kerrian's interrogation of der ficus."
"Mme. Canderli. I know where her shop is. A bit paranoid, but her wares are decent quality," Thierri added, irritably flipping the coin across his hand. He gave Cyrus a bit of a sly look. "I would gladly introduce you, dommer. Perhaps you've heard of her already. Mme. Canderli had to flee the Lawgiver Church a while back - seems she dared to think that rulers had a responsibility to the people they ruled."
"My mistake. I must confess that I only knew her as a name on a balance sheet. This complicates things." Mr. Agale said with a hint of delight in his voice. "A delicate matter, were keeping this matter quiet not of paramount importance, the Hazlani ambassador would certainly need to be informed. If I get the chance, I'll see if there are any Dementiuese statutes governing the substance. Due to its rarity, I doubt it. More likely it would fall under a more general code dealing with dangerous substances.""I would like to meet this Canderli, then. Gal-zuur is so difficult and expensive to make and keep. Seeing it outside of Hazlan is rare enough to be significant. There might even be legal issues involved."
* * *
Mr. Agale cringes under the blow. He grits his teeth into a grimace and responds "Err.. yes, thank you, very good." He takes a deep breath and tugs on his sleeve, smoothing out his suit. "I suppose you are right, no need to press our luck and become accidentally involved. Unfortunate that we could not see the exhibit, though the mystery still provides a stimulating diversion. Should you call upon Ms. Canderli tomorrow, I would be most interested in hearing what you learn."
- yalenusveler
- Evil Genius

- Posts: 1266
- Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:44 pm
- Location: Pennsylvania...or Baator
"I..don't know if it'll work like that. It is a ritual though." Kerrian said, turning his attention back to Lia. "But If i can take the flowers with us, it might not be that much of an issue. But if you want to watch, that's alright..I just need to figure out how to ask the questions right."Rock wrote: "I would be more than happy to accompany you," Lia offers, "and perhaps assist you in whatever small way I might do so? Communicating with the green is a ... ritual magic, is it not? Perhaps I can help you by doing some of the scutwork, or by joining my energies to yours."
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
- NeoTiamat
- Evil Genius

- Posts: 4119
- Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:00 pm
- Gender: Male
- Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Guignol Museum, University of Dementlieu, Port-a-Lucine; March 9th, 770, 8:28 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Wonderful," Thierri said, flatly. He nodded to Tomas, the Lamordian's offer making the magician seem a bit less agitated. "Meet me downstairs when you're ready to go. We'll walk. It's not far from the Chateau."
"I suppose that's all there is to be done," Alice stated, with a smile and a sigh. "It seems to be the only lead we have, beyond Mr. Mauganson, though I admit to being a good deal out of my element."
"Ooh! I might be able to help!" Cerise said, bounding over with a finger to her lips and a knowing grin. "My aunt Elisabeth has a salon where they discuss historical culture, she was complaining about M. Delarue a few months ago. I could get us in to talk with him, see what evil plots he's hatched."
"It would certainly be useful to talk to these 'people of interest'..." Professor Lessard mused. "I could secure an audience with Ambassador Vedarrak, we've still a residue of old acquaintance I can draw upon."
"Excellent. The two of you can look up Pelay while you're out and about interviewing people." Prof. Marchand-Renier said, adding with a small smile. "You shouldn't have any problem finding the man. Quite the opposite, really."
"I live to serve..." Remy said faux-sourly. "Anyone else want to come along? We'll have to do this after I finish my morning classes, but we can probably track down all three people come evening."
"I wish I could help, but I'll probably be at the Hospice of the White Dove all day." Alice said regretfully, picking up the ficus tenderly. When she next spoke, it was to the plant, and not to you. "At least we can save you from this museum. You'll be better off in our garden."
"Of course, miss." Marchand-Renier said, looking at Andre. "The two of us should probably hunt down Doctor Chastel and see if she has anything more to tell us about the exhibition."
"We might need to hold her upside down till the knowledge falls out of her." Prof. Theroux said, not looking forward to what the future would bring at all.
"Do you have anything better to do?" The Richemuloise philologist asked with an over-bright smile. "Cheer up, it'll be just like old times."
"What, tap-dancing zombies?" Andre said sourly.
"Only if Doctor Chastel leads a much more interesting life than I'd heretofore suspected." Marchand-Renier said, still smiling.
"Alright, after classes." Prof. Theroux agreed, though he didn't seem to be quite as reluctant about all this as he acted. "I'll need to distract my graduate students, then we can go."
"Oh, and Tomas, Lia, Professors, are we still on for dinner or will all this skullduggery take the place of a good meal?" Professor Lessard asked. "Just that I did place reservations..."
"See what you've done, you've corrupted the boy." Marchand-Renier said quietly. "He's talking like you."
"I wasn't the one who started the process." Andre replied, equally sotto-voce.
OOC: I believe that covers more or less everything left to do here at the museum, so here's the options for what to do next that I see before the PCs. As always, if someone has another idea, please say so, I'm all ears.
This leaves you with three possible avenues of investigation, all of which begin tomorrow morning:
In the interests of time and progress, I would recommend splitting up, though you can of course go as one big group. To that end, I would like people to tell me which of the three options they wish to pursue, and if they are following option 3, which person they would like to interview first
I'm going to insist on all option 3 people follow up on the suspects as a single group, just to keep things manageable. I'm also going to state that a minimum of 2 people must choose an option for it to be followed up on, if there's only one interested PC then you'll just have to pick something else.
Lastly, all these investigations will begin after your characters all finish work/class/whatever, so you needn't worry about that.
Any questions?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Wonderful," Thierri said, flatly. He nodded to Tomas, the Lamordian's offer making the magician seem a bit less agitated. "Meet me downstairs when you're ready to go. We'll walk. It's not far from the Chateau."
"I suppose that's all there is to be done," Alice stated, with a smile and a sigh. "It seems to be the only lead we have, beyond Mr. Mauganson, though I admit to being a good deal out of my element."
"Ooh! I might be able to help!" Cerise said, bounding over with a finger to her lips and a knowing grin. "My aunt Elisabeth has a salon where they discuss historical culture, she was complaining about M. Delarue a few months ago. I could get us in to talk with him, see what evil plots he's hatched."
"It would certainly be useful to talk to these 'people of interest'..." Professor Lessard mused. "I could secure an audience with Ambassador Vedarrak, we've still a residue of old acquaintance I can draw upon."
"Excellent. The two of you can look up Pelay while you're out and about interviewing people." Prof. Marchand-Renier said, adding with a small smile. "You shouldn't have any problem finding the man. Quite the opposite, really."
"I live to serve..." Remy said faux-sourly. "Anyone else want to come along? We'll have to do this after I finish my morning classes, but we can probably track down all three people come evening."
"I wish I could help, but I'll probably be at the Hospice of the White Dove all day." Alice said regretfully, picking up the ficus tenderly. When she next spoke, it was to the plant, and not to you. "At least we can save you from this museum. You'll be better off in our garden."
"Of course, miss." Marchand-Renier said, looking at Andre. "The two of us should probably hunt down Doctor Chastel and see if she has anything more to tell us about the exhibition."
"We might need to hold her upside down till the knowledge falls out of her." Prof. Theroux said, not looking forward to what the future would bring at all.
"Do you have anything better to do?" The Richemuloise philologist asked with an over-bright smile. "Cheer up, it'll be just like old times."
"What, tap-dancing zombies?" Andre said sourly.
"Only if Doctor Chastel leads a much more interesting life than I'd heretofore suspected." Marchand-Renier said, still smiling.
"Alright, after classes." Prof. Theroux agreed, though he didn't seem to be quite as reluctant about all this as he acted. "I'll need to distract my graduate students, then we can go."
"Oh, and Tomas, Lia, Professors, are we still on for dinner or will all this skullduggery take the place of a good meal?" Professor Lessard asked. "Just that I did place reservations..."
"See what you've done, you've corrupted the boy." Marchand-Renier said quietly. "He's talking like you."
"I wasn't the one who started the process." Andre replied, equally sotto-voce.
OOC: I believe that covers more or less everything left to do here at the museum, so here's the options for what to do next that I see before the PCs. As always, if someone has another idea, please say so, I'm all ears.
- -The Interrogation of the Ficus: This can be done at any time, but since it's a fairly straightforward ritual I'm not seeing the need to run it out in the main-thread. Yalenus, if you would send me the results of your ritual-casting in PM, email, or via AIM, I'll tell you what you learn. If there is a great desire to play it out, we can do it via side-RP between interested parties. Sound alright to everyone?
This leaves you with three possible avenues of investigation, all of which begin tomorrow morning:
- 1. Examining the Exhibition: Professors Theroux and Marchand-Renier plan to spend tomorrow morning searching for the Guignol Museum's curator, Marie Chastel, in order to quiz her in more detail about the Exhibition, the security details, and other things of that nature.
2. Following up on the Gal-zuur: Thierri can take interested PCs to see Mme. Canderli, who runs the apothecary in the Hazlani district and is the likeliest source for the Gal-zuur used in the theft. This is your most concrete lead so far.
3. Question Suspects: Prof. Lessard and Cerise can get interested PCs in to question any of the three most likely suspects in the robbery:- -Hugo Delarue, the owner of the Mirror Brilliant who may be having money problems
-Jacques Pelay, the anarchist writer who would be thrilled if the artifacts were stolen
-Marcos Vedarrak, the Falkovnian Ambassador who wouldn't mind at all if Dementlieu took another step towards chaos and civil war.
- -Hugo Delarue, the owner of the Mirror Brilliant who may be having money problems
In the interests of time and progress, I would recommend splitting up, though you can of course go as one big group. To that end, I would like people to tell me which of the three options they wish to pursue, and if they are following option 3, which person they would like to interview first
I'm going to insist on all option 3 people follow up on the suspects as a single group, just to keep things manageable. I'm also going to state that a minimum of 2 people must choose an option for it to be followed up on, if there's only one interested PC then you'll just have to pick something else.
Lastly, all these investigations will begin after your characters all finish work/class/whatever, so you needn't worry about that.
Any questions?
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
- The Whistler
- Evil Genius

- Posts: 1454
- Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:38 pm
- Location: Southshore
“Oh…” Celeste looked a little crestfallen at the prospect of having to wait a few hours for plant-interrogation, but brightened up within a moment or two. “Then I simply shall have to bide my time and witness the event when all is prepared—if my presence should not be an intrusion, that is!”M. Mauganson wrote:"I..don't know if it'll work like that. It is a ritual though." Kerrian said, turning his attention back to Lia. "But If i can take the flowers with us, it might not be that much of an issue. But if you want to watch, that's alright..I just need to figure out how to ask the questions right."
She turned away from Kerrian, surveying the rest of the group with breezy satisfaction—apparently having temporarily forgotten about the nation-weakening implications of the theft itself. “Heavens…so many lovely opportunities to offer my services! Had I known that the gendarmerie’s calling provided so singular a means to broaden oneself, I should have made every effort to be present during prior thefts. Let me see…”
The appointment book came out from somewhere again, as did a pencil, which was in turn tapped thoughtfully against the chin and used to cross out several lines of text. “I shall have to reschedule my luncheon engagement with Mlle. Rochefoucault, but Mme. Rondelet, I should find it most enlightening to call upon M. Delarue at the salon on the morrow...how joyous the investigation, which allows one to converse with one’s dearest fellow-collectors while furthering the cause of justice!”
She looked up at Thierri, smiling again. “Although, M. Boucher, I daresay I should be quite tempted to accompany your band to the premises of Mme Canderli, as an alternative! I am not familiar with gal-zuur, as such, but I am most conversant with the Richemuloise masters, such men as employed of all manner of mordant substances in their brass etchings. I should be entirely unsurprised were there not some commonality between the two subjects.”
This was almost definitely not the case, but Celeste almost definitely did not have a degree in chemistry.
I pick interrogation (Delarue first) and acid-investigation, in that order of preference.
Mr. Agale's hand instinctively covered his face. Peeking out between his splayed digits, "Miss Viardot I must strongly counsel you to carefully consider your words. They could easily be misconstrued." Agale thought to himself. If left to her own devices, this woman at best will become sidetracked and learn nothing of import and at worst alert the perpetrators and get herself killed. He straightens himself and speaks more formally, "If you would allow me the honor madam, I would like to accompany you on these interviews."Celeste wrote:"I should have made every effort to be present during prior thefts."
"In this affair discretion is the watch word to be sure. If word was to get out prior to the recovery of the relics, not only would rioting likely result, but any investigations would be effectively compromised. Therefore, I would propose that a common narrative be established. Professor Theroux, what is a plausible yet benign explanation for a delay in the return of the artifacts to their owners?"
OOC: going with option 3, I don't terribly care which one comes first, but I'd like to save Veddy for last.
- The Whistler
- Evil Genius

- Posts: 1454
- Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:38 pm
- Location: Southshore
"Oh! My pardon; I meant nothing of the kind. I salute you, M. Agale; that was indeed most ill-expressed. And, needless to say, I would certainly appreciate the honor of your company on tomorrow's excursions."M. Agale wrote:"Miss Viardot I must strongly counsel you to carefully consider your words. They could easily be misconstrued. If you would allow me the honor madam, I would like to accompany you on these interviews."
By her reaction, Celeste would have had no idea that she'd lapsed into permissible-as-evidence figures of speech until he'd pointed it out. Still, she did look legitimately pleased at the prospect of having the lawyer along.
- Kaitou Kage
- Evil Genius

- Posts: 2115
- Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:53 am
- Location: Here and there
- Contact:
"Perhaps I can tempt you further," Cyrus said smoothly, sidling up close to Celeste. "Gal-zuur is but one of the wonders Hazlan has to offer. I'm sure I could tell you of many, many others. A trip to Canderli's would make an excellent opportunity for us to speak on such matters. And perhaps you can tell me of your home. I would love to learn more about these lands and you are a very eloquent speaker. Very pleasant to listen to."Miss Viardot wrote:She looked up at Thierri, smiling again. “Although, M. Boucher, I daresay I should be quite tempted to accompany your band to the premises of Mme Canderli, as an alternative! I am not familiar with gal-zuur, as such, but I am most conversant with the Richemuloise masters, such men as employed of all manner of mordant substances in their brass etchings. I should be entirely unsurprised were there not some commonality between the two subjects.”
One had to wonder what the Hazlani's eyes showed.
