Warhammer RPG

Discussing all roleplaying games
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

FYI, I am preparing Terror in Talabheim to run it somewhere neyt year. I dislike the class system, but the setting and the cinamtic adventure have really come to intrigue me. The only problem I have right now is that I can find too less races for WH. I mean, just FOUR basic races? - Does somebody know if there's an official supplement that might help my out? :)
DamienJ
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by DamienJ »

I think the paucity of races is really part of the Warhammer "feel." Since pretty much every race not made by some god (Elves, Dwarves, Lizards [which aren't in the core rulebook] and Men...halflings come from somewhere, not sure on that) are more or less assumed to be created by Chaos, it would be pretty difficult to introduce more races when the main purpose of the game is the fight against Chaos. Non-human races tend to be poorly received in the Old World. Think Falknovia plus. There are some rare exceptions, but there's a reason they're rare. Even "normal" races (like Elves) are viewed pretty suspiciously by the common folk. If a half-elemental started running around, I think he could expect an abbreviated lifespan. Refer to the big sentence above to see how most people feel about non-humans.

On the other hand, if you wanted to run a reverse campaign, you could easily adapt orcs, goblins, rats, beastmen, etc., to be used as PC races. The profiles are pretty simple. There's also a supplement out for that, The Tome of Corruption. I haven't read it, but it's supposed to talk about mutations and making a Chaos character.

Other than doing it on your own, there really aren't too many supplements out there yet. As far as I know, none of them list new races.

I'm just curious - why do you not like class system?[/i]
"Listen to them, children of the night! What music they make."
- Bram Stoker, [u]Dracula[/u]
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

DamienJ wrote:
On the other hand, if you wanted to run a reverse campaign, you could easily adapt orcs, goblins, rats, beastmen, etc., to be used as PC races. The profiles are pretty simple. There's also a supplement out for that, The Tome of Corruption. I haven't read it, but it's supposed to talk about mutations and making a Chaos character.
:!: Thank you for the info!

When I pass through my gaming store next time, I'll check this one. Not that I would want too curios races like elementals or celestail beings in my games, but compared with the diversion I have in my D&D games, it's simply too less for me. (Me being originally a Wilderlands DM, with about 30 races available to my players...)

BTW, here's the official BI page for Warhammer FRP - anything you could recommend, except for the core books? :)

clicky.clicky-clicky
DamienJ wrote: I'm just curious - why do you not like class system?[/i]
In general, as far as I understand it, the system leads you to a point of powergaming, where everyone tries to get the best ueber-class for his character; that's basically why I am sceptical. OTOH, I know too less of the system right now to judge properly. - My overall impression of the book is, however, very good. Let's see how that campaign of mine works out...