Guide to the Mists Speculations

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

No, the text could be read either way. For my money, Castle Island is a non-floating pocket domain.
Lucius
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Lucius »

Thanks for the clarification, I was not treating it as a pocket domain mainly because it t´s not a floating domain.
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

LUCIFERABADDON wrote:Thanks for the clarification, I was not treating it as a pocket domain mainly because it t´s not a floating domain.
True, but the definition is rather moot. Its so small, you're VERY limited as to what you can do in it.

I remembering reading (somewhere) that the House of Lament was now considered a fixed pocket domain. If the House can be a pocket (which makes a fair amount of sense to me), so can the island.

Personally, I think that pocket domains are defined as superimposing its rules on that of an existing domain. Most are small and lack a population past its darklord, while others are large and can touch anywhere they want (like the Nightmare Lands). Necropolis might be seen as a large pocket, existing as it does within the borders of Darkon, just as Castle Island is a "land" within the borders of Tepest.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Algaris
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Algaris »

Necropolis might be seen as a large pocket, existing as it does within the borders of Darkon, just as Castle Island is a "land" within the borders of Tepest.
Thats pretty much how I took it.
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

The FAQ describes pocket domains as domains entirely enclosed in other lands but that move freely with the House of Lament qualifying because it can move, just seldom does. It also uses the example of Castle Island as not being a pocket domain because it is rooted in place, much like the islands in the Seas or Necropolis.

Not trying to contradict Mr. Naylor but I pulled those clarifications from some of the earlier author's notes and posts from the boards when I was updating the FAQ.

All just semantics: half-full/ half-empty/ time for a refill.
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Interestingly, I've come to believe that the House of Lament has been quietly reclassified as a phantasmagorum. It's not listed as such in the RLDMG, but it surely would qualify...
Lucius
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Lucius »

Another motive that made me see Castle Island as a Core domain is because I asked Steve Miller in my Message Board (n Gaz 5 was released), and he told me that Casltle Island was a Core domain, the smallest of the Core domains.

Brandi, when I saw RLDMG, more specufically the Phantasmagorum I had the same feeling about the House of Lament
Jester of the FoS

Just because it's a phantasmathingamabobs does not mean it can't be a domain still...
It can be the strongest, most powerful of Phantasmagorias!!
Lucius
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Lucius »

According to www.wolf-spoor.org VRG to the Mists is scheduled for August 20.

The link I posted is at the "Future Releases" topic.
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Problem for me: Heroes of Horror or VGttM?

Tough decission, as my *purse* won't permit me to buy both immediately...

:?:
Jester of the FoS

Wait for the books to come out, buy the one with better reviews.
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

David of the Frat wrote:Wait for the books to come out, buy the one with better reviews.
:azalin:

Has there been a preview for one of them already?
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Desdichado wrote:
David of the Frat wrote:Wait for the books to come out, buy the one with better reviews.
:azalin:

Has there been a preview for one of them already?
No, they're too far off. There might be a preview of the Van Richten's Guide in August, and Wizards will definitely have one for Heroes of Horror in September.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jonathan Winters »

I hope it's not just monsters...

I think we need philosophical questionnings about the mists in there. The mists are such a BIG part of RL.
Things for players and DMs. Hopefully a few story hooks or Dead Poss...

Patrick
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Jonathan Winters wrote:I hope it's not just monsters...

I think we need philosophical questionnings about the mists in there. The mists are such a BIG part of RL.
Things for players and DMs. Hopefully a few story hooks or Dead Poss...

Patrick
Well, it's supposed to reveal some more information on the Vistani, so it shouldn't deal solely with monsters. Rucht is one of the authors, so I think we can expect something similar to the Walking Dead and Shadow Fey. I found a large number of hooks and ideas in those, though your mileage may vary.