Paladin's alignment in Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Skyrock
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Re: Paladin's alignment in Ravenloft

Post by Skyrock »

2E and/or 3E had the guideline that Clerics ignore the moral axis (Good – Evil) and are only bound by the Law/Chaos axis. In editions that restrict Paladins to certain alignments I do the same, as Paladins too are equipped by the Dark Powers in a similar way to Clerics. So yes, you can be a Lawful Evil Paladin and still throw smites and lay-on-hands around – and you probably won’t notice how far you have fallen.
Nun gut, es sei dir überlassen!
Zieh diesen Geist von seinem Urquell ab
Und führ ihn, kannst du ihn erfassen
Auf deinem Wege mit herab.
- Faust I
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

You could also use the variant paladins from 3e UA. The Paladin of Tyranny (LE paladin) would fit well with Faith-hold's methods, a knight devoted to subjugating the free will of others to serve someone or something else. The Paladin of Freedom (CG paladin) would be the perfect foil for them. I can even see a single or groups of Paladins of Slaughter (CE paladin) working as bandits that use the myth of Banemaw to cover up their activities, especially if they burn everything behind them (Banemaw is supposedly a red dragon).
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

High Priest Mikhal wrote:You could also use the variant paladins from 3e UA. The Paladin of Tyranny (LE paladin) would fit well with Faith-hold's methods, a knight devoted to subjugating the free will of others to serve someone or something else. The Paladin of Freedom (CG paladin) would be the perfect foil for them. I can even see a single or groups of Paladins of Slaughter (CE paladin) working as bandits that use the myth of Banemaw to cover up their activities, especially if they burn everything behind them (Banemaw is supposedly a red dragon).
Faithold would never use Paladins of Slaughter, she is a control freak.
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

brilliantlight wrote:Faithold would never use Paladins of Slaughter, she is a control freak.
I know. That's why I said they would act as bandits. Folks who, by definition, don't work for the local authority figures.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

High Priest Mikhal wrote:
brilliantlight wrote:Faithold would never use Paladins of Slaughter, she is a control freak.
I know. That's why I said they would act as bandits. Folks who, by definition, don't work for the local authority figures.
My mistake then. I thought you meant that she would use them to act like bandits on towns that displeased her to give herself plausible deniablity.