Ulsaon & Allikhain arrive............

Fiction about Ravenloft or Gothic Earth
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Ulsaon & Allikhain arrive............

Post by steveflam »

The night wasn't getting any younger. Her patience grew thinner. The information she’d been given was what you would call questionable. Roarke had told her that a meeting would take place tonight. I could use this opportunity to solidify my growing reputation here in Raven’s Bluff, she mused to herself. These scumbags will learn to grow to fear me. Then they’ll think twice about thieving and skullduggery. From the rooftop she peered down into the alley and stretched. She heard footsteps approaching the alley and entering and smiled to herself. So the fool was truthful in his information after all. The footprints stopped and she heard light breathing and muttering. From the other end of the alley she heard another set of footprints approaching the first’s position. I must remember to perhaps actually pay Roarke next time. Perhaps his arm will heal by then, she thought with a grin.

Bending down she secured the grapple. Gripping the rope like the old friend it was, she climbed down the wall, feet touching the ground noiselessly.

“Are you sure you weren’t followed, Gordon?”

“Yes I’m sure, Smith.”

“Down to business then. The boys want more coin and I want to start charging the merchants more for protection.”

“I’m sure Leopold will not disagree with your demand, Gordon. Naturally he will want a bigger cut since the operation will take in more.”

So concentrated were the two men on each other that they never heard her silent approach until it was too late. “Don’t stop on my account gentlemen”, said an icy cold voice.

Both men started at her voice. Unfortunately the time it took them to react was too little too late. She crouched down and her foot swept out dexterously, sweeping both men off their feet. They fell onto their backs out of breath. Springing then jumping up to her feet, her Quarterstaff flashed twice in the alley. THWAK! THWAK! Smith and Gordon groaned in unison at the growing lumps on their foreheads.

“Tell your boss I’m watching. He might want to consider a change of careers. You two should as well. I won’t be so lenient next time, I assure you.”

Her Quarterstaff flashed twice more, striking each man in the stomach. Both Smith and Gordon curled into balls and tried to regain their breath and soothe their stomachs. With a mixture of trepidation and fear they looked up at the figure but could not discern anything as she was well hidden behind her cloak. The only thing they did know was she was a woman from her voice. “Don’t hurt us! Please! We’ll pass the word on, I swear!” Gordon tried to talk with her. Smith had fainted in the midst of it all, the coward. He tried to get a better look at her but she kept to the shadows. She kicked him hard in the temple, knocking him out cold. Reaching into her pack, she removed 4 pieces of rope. She bound both men’s hands and feet. Concentrating slightly she observed the men closely. Smiling she removed a ring on Smith’s finger and pocketed it. That will do nicely. I am much more deserving of this than you are, scum. She smiled to herself as she undressed the men and placed them in a compromising position. I’ll have to alert the militia to a disturbance in this alley in a few minutes. Moving to the rope, she climbed the wall and moved across to the front of the building. Knowing full well a patrol would soon pass, she waited patiently. Reaching into her pouch she removed a vial and grinned. Sure enough three minutes later a patrol rounded the corner two streets down and headed her way. She moved silent as the wind to the alley’s side and dropped the vial into the alley, hearing the distinct crash and tinkle of the vial breaking. She laughed to herself as she sped across the rooftop, hearing the patrol rush to the alley and the sound of laughter as they woke up the two scumbags. She rushed across rooftop after rooftop until she was well out of the vicinity and on the other side of the city. Reaching her destination, she opened the hatch in the roof and slithered noiselessly into her room. The Crow’s Nest suited her purposes perfectly.

Back in the alley, a shape appeared out of thin air after the patrol had taken them away. Ulsaon frowned to herself. So that was the vigilante. She is very impressive indeed. The Snake will want to know of this development. She has a mean streak yet remains very cold and composed. Moving to where the rope was, Ulsaon grinned. Gripping it firmly she scaled up the wall and onto the rooftop. She headed away from the alley and to what she thought was the probable destination of the source of everyone’s headaches these last few weeks. A scant few minutes later she arrived in the Merchant’s district and scaled down the wall expertly. Looking around the alley she made sure no one had seen her, then walked out into the street and headed for the Boar’s Repose. Quorrin will know something of our newcomer, he is a vast wealth of knowledge. Adjusting her clothing, she passed by the bouncer at the door and headed inside directly towards the bar. Sure enough, there was Quorrin talking with some young woman as she had expected. He’ll never change, that one. Then again that’s all part of his charm, she smiled to herself.
She walked right up to him and without even missing a beat, took a sip of his drink and smiled lewdly at the young woman. “You have bit off more than you can chew, miss. Go find something better to do with your time.” The young girl’s mouth opened then closed. She shrugged then wandered into the crowd. “So Quorrin, how goes it this fine evening?”
She signaled the barkeep for an ale for Quorrin, the standard fee to begin the process of getting information from him. Quorrin smiled as he received his ale. Taking a sip he winked at her then spoke. “Well I was having a marvelous time until you showed up, Ulsaon. Honestly how is a man to make an honest living or even have some fun?” he said as he looked longingly at the young woman who had walked off. “Today was rather quiet. Though this evening, the Militia found some laughter and not too long ago at that.” He sipped his beer and gauged her reaction. “How long have you been here, Quorrin?” She asked with a raised eyebrow. He really is that good. And fast as well!

As Allikhain’s rested on the bed, her mind wandered back to 2 years ago……………………………………………………………………..

Allikhain lounged in her room. It had been a very long day and her meditation had not come easily like it usually does. That’s the first time in two years she had been here that had happened. Thinking about her current situation she mused that this was a far cry from what she had been doing before, with some semblance of pride. There was a knock on the door.

“Yes?”

“It is Sister Caroline, Allikhain. I have with me a Constable Ryan who wishes to speak with you on an urgent matter.”

She rose from her bed and went to the door, opening it. Sure enough there was Sister Caroline and a middle aged man who appeared nervous. “Thank you Sister, that will be all. Do come in Mr. Ryan.” She nodded to the elder Sister and closed her door. Constable Ryan had taken a seat at her chair. She stayed standing and leaned against the wall, arms crossed. “So what can I do for you, Constable Ryan. Need I remind you I am on the right side of the law now?” Ryan fidgeted a little and got up, starting to pace. Finally he looked at Allikhain with sadness and clearing his throat, spoke. “Earlier this evening, there was a terrible accident. Your parents shop burned to the ground. The Fire Brigade arrived too late to save the shop or your parents. I did investigate the premises and have deducted that it was no accident.” He stopped to let Allikhain register what had happened. Her eyes narrowed but she said nothing, only paying close attention to what he was saying.

“Your parents bodies though burned, showed signs of violence. The shop smelled of burnt oil, which obviously suggests arson. Two suspicious young men were seen earlier entering the shop and the same two young men were seen fleeing the area after the fire.”

Allikhain said nothing, only looking at the bearer of bad news. She didn’t tell Ryan about her parents having been visited by ruffians several times for protection money and refusing. In the two years since she had entered the Temple, she had grown closer to her parents. Deep down she knew they were proud of her turning her life around and joining the Monastery.

“What are the police doing about this?” She asked rather coldly, already knowing the answer.

“We will be looking into the matter. I won’t lie to you, Ms. Gellantra. You of all people are well aware of the situation here. Gangs are abundant and outnumber the Constabulary.” His voice lowered so only they both could hear him speaking. “My hands are tied. Unfortunately I can only grin and bear it. You have my sincerest condolences as well as my deepest apology for what will most probably get swept under the rug and noted as Case Closed.” He sighed and nodding to Allikhain once, walked to the door, opened it and left, closing it quietly behind him.

She sat there a long while thinking about her parents. Hard working and honest, caring and giving. Up until she left the house at fourteen, she never had naught for anything growing up. Her parents of course knew her career but chose to still love her though not understanding. Being an Assassin was nothing to be proud of but that is what she had chosen to do, to her parents dismay. Until two years ago when she got wind of her parents being bothered by gangs here in Raven’s Bluff. She returned from Zhentil Keep, having faked her own death. Only her parents knew who she actually was, for obvious reasons. In the two years she had been here she had visited her parents in secret and kept tabs on them. So it has come to this after two years? Crime has come back to haunt me then. I shall meditate on this and decide on a course of action after the funeral………………………………………………………..

Quorrin admires Ulsaon’s lithe form and smiles. “I haven’t been here all that long, I assure you. Why I was just getting acquainted with that little morsel before you arrived and scared her away”, he pouted then went on “Apparently two prominent members of the business community had a clandestine rendezvous somewhere in an alley on the other side of town. They must have run into that vigilante we’ve been hearing of these past two years. She sure has been popping up a lot lately. Well at least the militia had a good laugh at their expense as the two men were found unclothed, tied up and in a compromising position.” Quorrin stopped and took a healthy swig of his ale, looking at the half full mug with a frown.

Ulsaon motioned to the barkeep for another ale and Quorrin smiled, nodding to her. “So what can you tell me about this Vigilante, Quorrin? You do know that the Snake will be oh so grateful for any information you may offer on her. He has the memory of an elephant for favors, of which you are well aware of.”

“Hmm, let me think a moment. I need more ale to help me jog my memory, Ulsaon.”

Ulsaon motioned the barkeep over. “Keep them coming, friend. My serpent friend will take care of the tab.” Looking back to Quorrin, she smiled. “Go on. The ale is coming.”

Quorrin takes a sip. Being in the Snake’s good graces can be very advantageous for me. Being a Half-Elf and him holding no love for the Half Breeds he so loves to call us. “I have heard rumors that this Vigilante was seen on more than one occasion near the port. This is before she goes and does her gallivanting, mind you. Now I don’t know if this is true or not but I did see Roarke earlier tonight. He told me that he met her in the port this evening to give her information and she paid him by breaking his arm. Well I suppose it is better in his case to have a broken arm then dead. On second thought, I’d rather have my arm broken than die however horribly that may be! I do choose to believe him as his arm was broken and he looked like he had seen a ghost the poor sod”.

Quorrin confirms what I already suspected. This person has been seen in the port on more than one occasion and she does not pay in the conventional sense for information. A broken arm is the least of Roarke’s worries now that Smith and Gordon are at the station. When Elaith finishes with him, he’ll wish this Vigilante had killed him first.

“Well that confirms what I have suspected for some time Quorrin. Thank you and enjoy your ale, friend.” She leaned in and kissed his cheek at the same time deftly lifting his pouch and handing it to him with a wink. She giggled all the way back home.

Allikhain woke and stretched. Hopping out of bed she walked to the window and peered out. Blinking slightly, her eyes adjusting to the sunlight. By the sun’s position it must be midafternoon. Perfect. I have time to do my exercises and get some information from one of Roarke’s lackies. Not until after I’ve done my exercises.

She lay flat on the floor and began her ritual of pushups, situps and stretches for the next hour. Dressing, she exited her room. Removing a hair from her head, she placed it in the doorjamb and closed the door. Smiling to herself she descended the stairs to the dining room. Peering at the rest of the patrons she saw noone new, which comforted her. Sitting at a table she motioned for a waiter. “A meal.” Speaking so only the waiter heard, “Has Galvin left word for me?”

The woman frowned at Allikhain then recognition dawned on her face. “Yes, mum, he has. A letter for you at the desk as per your instructions.” She walked away, careful not to show her excitement. So that is her, Ulsaon thought to herself with glee. She doesn’t look dangerous though. I guess when they say appearances can be deceiving it’s quite true! Oh how the Snake will reward me this evening for my discovery of the Vigilante. She hurried into the kitchen and nodded to the woman waiting there. Handing her a purse, she walked out of the Inn and headed towards her destination.

Allikhain waited patiently for her meal, merely raising her eyes as the waitress approached her table with her order. Where is the other waitress, she wondered.

“Pardon me, but where is the woman who served me first?”

“Her shift finished, mum. I will be serving you now. Enjoy and if you need anything else, don’t hesitate to ask.” The waitress wandered back to the kitchen.

Allikhain shrugged and dug into her plate of food. That sure hits the spot. Her mind wandered a moment as to what she would do this evening. The East District was a good idea, according to her sources. This was where many crimes took place and would suit her purposes to a tee. Finishing her meal, she left a few coins and retired to her room. Opening the door, she saw noone had tried to enter as the hair was still there. Closing the door behind her she moved to the window. Looking outside she saw that the sunw as already low on the horizon and would set soon. Time to do some more exercises then rest until dark, my time.

Ulsaon hurried home. The Snake will be pleased with my discovery. You have to admire someone like her. Smart enough to not leave a name or trace of her passage. If it weren’t for the gold I’ve spread around here, I’d never have learned of the secret trap door into the Inn here. The innkeeper was very forthcoming about his tenant on the top floor this morning. Gold does tend to loosen people’s tongues if there is enough of it. I’ll rest now and return this evening and follow her, see where she is headed. Ulsaon entered the house and locked the door behind her, heading to her room. Jumping into bed, she sighed. Nestling in comfortably, she fell into an elvish reverie waking three hours later, refreshed.

Allikhain woke with a start. Hand on her blade she peered into the gloom of her room. Nothing appeared out of sync. Slowly her eyes adapted to the darkness as she realized though her eyes may have betrayed her, her hearing didn’t. Concentrating slightly she focused on the curtains and the window. With a flick of her wrist, the dagger flew towards the curtains, embedding itself into the wall. Allikhain frowned at the sound. Whomever was in the room with her was good. She rolled to the door, coming to a stop. Standing quickly she cocked her hand crossbow, eyes searching the gloom for the intruder.

“Now now. Don’t fret so, friend. I am not here to wish you harm. I only wish to discuss with you.” A female voice said.

“Who are you? What do you want?” Was the reply.

A mist was infiltrating the room, making it quite the task to see a foot in front of yourself. “Stop your magic. I won’t be fooled or stopped with such parlor tricks.”
The room was now filled with the thick mist. “I am not responsible for this fog, I tell you. Wait! Listen carefully. The sounds coming from out the window are different than before…”

Allikhain takes a moment to get her bearings. Concentrating she does indeed hear the Sea out the window. What in the name of? We are near no Ocean? What madness is this? “What have you done? Mage, speak now or die, those are your choices.” She moved towards the window. As she did the mist began to clear and she saw. Out the window was a port. And it was early morning? She looked again only to confirm. “What sorcery is this? Speak now or perish, fool mage.”

Ulsaon was as confused as Allikhain was. What is going on? Has the Vigilante cast a spell? I think not, judging by her reaction to the fog. We are in the same boat, so to speak. “ I tell you, I have cast no magic, Vigilante. I am as confused as you as to what is happening.”

“Vigilante? Who are you? How did you find me? It was Roarke wasn’t it? I knew I should have shut him up once and for all. No matter, he is only a pawn.”

“Stop a moment and think about what is going on here. I have no magic strong enough to make us change locations completely. This goes deeper than that. It is as if we have been moved entirely from one place to another. Hold on, let me look outside and at the sky.”

Ulsaon parts the curtain on the window and peers outside. The sun is setting. Moments before it had been High Noon. Frowning she looks at the city. It is not the same city as Raven’s Bluff at all. Even the people look and speak differently. Odd these magical mists. Where in the nine hells are we? “A truce a moment. I think we are not in Raven’s Bluff anymore. Have a look out the window, you can judge for yourself my words.” Ulsaon moves aside for Allikhain to pass and look outside. Sure enough she does. She notes the same differences as Ulsaon does. Speaking to Ulsaon, she puzzles. “I agree with your assessment. We are not in Raven’s Bluff. Those mists felt almost magical in nature to me. I can’t explain it. For now I agree to a truce until we get to the bottom of this.” Allikhain looks at Ulsaon hard then goes back to the window and peers into the new city.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Ulsaon & Allikhain visit the streets of Pont-A-Museau

Post by steveflam »

Chapter Two: The streets of Pont-A-Museau

Allikhain peers into the gloom of the new city. That’s odd. It is near sunset and people seem to be eager to get to their homes. Some buildings whether they be homes or establishments, appear to be deserted or simply abandoned. She frowned at the appearance of a large swarm of rats rushing through the main street, followed by a cloaked figure. It seems to be following the swarm, almost as if it was guiding it, telling it where to go. The swarm and the figure passed almost as fast as it appeared. She looks back at half-elf woman, pondering what to do about her, then thought better of it, deciding to ask her a question.

“What do you make of a swarm of rats, followed by a cloaked figure running through the streets? The people I observed seemed eager to be off the streets and home. Very odd indeed.”

Ulsaon thought about the Vigilante’s question. Obviously a figure leading a pack of rats is not something you encounter everyday. Why are people hurrying home at nightfall? This new city bears a closer look. Mayhap she and I could investigate it together without any hassles. She responds to the Vigilante. “I don’t know about you, but in my experience a person leading a pack of rats is nothing habitual, to say the least. People hurrying to their homes at sundown is rather strange. We are new here. Perhaps there is a reason for this occurrence. You and I could investigate this new city together, and discover what it has to offer?” Pausing before adding, “Oh where are my manners? I am Ulsaon. Ulsaon Lowbane. Well met.”

Allikhain looked at Ulsaon. “Wise words. I am Allikhain Gellantra. Well met as well. I think that perhaps the citizens of this city have made it a habit of retiring to their homes at sundown.”

Ulsaon approached Allikhain and the window, peering outside. What she saw was to say the least intriguing. Some buildings looked abandoned which bore further investigation on their part, if Allikhain felt up to the task of exploring this new city. Not a living soul was on the streets as if they were abandoned for the night. Hmmmm. I think have a task ahead of us! If Allikhain is as good as I suspect, we should have some luck in discovering some information this evening.

Turning to Allikhain she spoke, “Well I for one don’t plan on remaining indoors all evening. Perhaps we can obtain a meal below then venture into the city, hmmm?”

Allikhain resigned herself to the fact that for the moment, she was stuck with this stranger, so she’d make the most of it for the time being. She spoke, “Visiting this new city is a good notion on your part. We may even gather some information pertaining to the desertion of the streets by the inhabitants by the setting of the sun. Let’s get a meal then visit our new home.”

She opened the door and they both exited, closing the door behind them. Descending the stairs they found the Inn was the same. Nodding to the Innkeeper, Allikhain walked into the dining room, ignoring his raised eyebrow at Ulsaon. She leads her to a table by the fireplace, taking a seat with her back to the wall. She had a perfect view of the interior of the Inn, so no surprises were in store while they ate.

Ulsaon followed Allikhain through the Inn. It did look the same and at the Innkeeper’s raised eyebrow she winked at him then followed Allikhain into the dining room. The table was well chosen as the only unexpected visitor would be coming from the fireplace. Highly unlikely occurrence I concede. Good choice of a table.

They ordered their meal from the serving wench, leaving several coins on the table to cover the cost. After the meal they exited the Inn and headed in a northern direction. As they walked along the streets, the sounds of their feet resounded noisily off of the many deserted buildings and tiny streets. The streets in this new city were not as wide as normal streets were. The buildings were very well built. It was puzzling as to why many of them were abandoned. Ulsaon and Allikhain did notice the buildings which were occupied were the ones with painted doors. They would pass alleyways and hear rats scurrying off into the night. Every once in a while the thundering of a flock of pigeons flying away at their approach was startling to say the least.

In the distance they could hear the sound of running water, confirming that the city was on the banks of a river. As they got closer, they could hear the unmistakable sounds of a busy port. Hurrying, they arrived in the heart of the port after nearly an hour of traveling the narrow labyrinth like streets. They entered from an alley and stopped, just to observe the hustle and bustle of a busy port. Ulsaon turns to Allikhain and whispers, “Well this is in no way a big port if you compare it to say Waterdeep or even Raven’s Bluff. Yet it still appears to be quite busy, judging by all the boats docked there. This city must have good trade relations with other cities here. I can bet you that there is also a [/b]black market[/b] here. Let’s try to find that, shall we?”

Allikhain merely nodded. I agree with her assessment. I’d wager a few coins that there is probably a thieves guild here as well. A halfling is what we should look for.

They wandered into the port and payed heed to their surroundings. It took them a while but after nearly an hour of wandering, they got lucky. Ulsaon was the first to point it out. A cloaked figure was in an alley to the east of their current position. If not for her half elf heritage she may never have seen it. They split up and approached the alley from both sides, mingling with the crowd so as not to be spotted. Their dark clothing helped nonetheless. As the figure was peering out into the port they each grabbed the cloaked figure and dragged it into the alley. Allikhain tripped it and gave it a good whack with her quarterstaff. WHACK!

“Ouch!” A distinctly male voice squealed. The dialect was a little different than common, but both women understood. “What do you want? I was doing nothing wrong. Just minding my own business.”

“Shut up and let us do the talking,” Allikhain growled.

“If you even think of running, I’ll cast a spell on you and stick you to the wall upside down, understood?” Ulsaon chimed in.

“Don’t hurt me, I’ll talk! What do you want to know?” Even in the gloom of the alley it was apparent that he was in fact a halfling and middle aged.

“Your name for beginners.”

“B-b-olbin. Bolbin Safran.”
“What is the name of the city?”

“What? You mean…. You…. Don’t know? Pont-A-Museau. Which is in the wonderful country of Richemulot. You didn’t perchance arrive here via themists did you?” he dared ask.

Allikhain looked at Ulsaon who frowned at first, then nodded.

“Yes. Yes we did. What do you know of these mists, Bolbin?” Allikhain asked as she nudged him back down to the ground with her staff.

“Not much really. I only know of what I’ve heard and that is they bring outlanders, people from other lands. This is not a common occurrence here but has been known to happen. One or two of my acquaintances is an outlander from a strange land called Oerth,” Bolbin happily offered, hoping to live through this ordeal. She would want to know of these outlanders. Possibly even reward me for the information I give her.

“Hmmmm. So Bolbin, what do you do here in the city? Besides spy on people from alleys of course.”

“Uh….I never….. I mean…. Well all right-all right! I keep a look out for certain characters in the port and city for anacquaintance here in the city. Mostly um furry ones to be exact.”

“Furry ones? You look out for animals?” Allikhain asked, confused. Ulsaon on the other hand was beginning to understand something.

“Say Bolbin, you wouldn’t happen to be watching for big rats would you? And I do mean human sized ones.” Ulsaon said

Bolbin fidgeted. She’s sharp, I’ll give her that. Perhaps introducing them both to Narcis would be a good idea. They seem quite capable of taking care of themselves.

“I’ll tell you what. If you are amenable to the notion of meeting my acquaintance, we can do so this very evening. I am certain you have a lot in common. What say you?” He asked hopefully. Trying to dodge Ulsaon’s question.

“What do you mean, human sized rats?” Allikhain asked. Even as she asked, comprehension was beginning to dawn on her. Her mouth formed an O then she actually smiled. Looking to Ulsaon she nodded.

“We accept your invitation to meet your acquaintance, Bolbin. Now get up and lead on before I kick you behind all the way there!”

Faster than he thought possible he jumped up and walked at a fast pace through the maze of streets for nearly forty-five minutes, never looking back. He was sure in the knowledge that these two women were following. Coming upon what looked like an abandoned home, he stopped at the door. He tapped out an intricate pattern on the door. It opened and he entered. Both women followed, closing the door behind them. “Who are these two?” A female voice asked Bolbin.
“Outlanders. Don’t worry I think you’ll get along just swell.”

Ulsaon grinned to herself. “Well where are my manners? I am Ulsaon Lowbane and this is Allikhain Gellantra, well met. Might I inquire as to whom Bolbin has brought us to encounter this evening?”

The woman warily eyed both Ulsaon and Allikhain. To her they looked like trouble, but if Bolbin brought them to her it was probably trouble for those pesky shape shifting rats.

“I am Narcis de Veryines. Boblin said you are outlanders. I presume the mist borught you here then? We have heard tales of such occurrences, though very infrequent. Well Bolbin thinks we may get along. I am in the business of hunting the filth that runs beneath the city here. More commonly known as the bogeymen of Richemulot, but very much a fact of life here. I am talking about Lycanthropic Rats, perhaps more commonly knows and wererats.” She stopped talking to let the two a moment to fathom her words.

“Do these cretinsalso rule the city like a guild would?” Allikhain asked

“Pretty much. Ninety-five percent of the population here believe the wererats are bogeymen and tell bedtime stories to their children of them. The sad fact of the matter is that beneath this city is a most elaborate labyrinth of sewers and this is where there are thousands of these scum. The abandoned homes you may have seen are in part due to them. It’s quite easy to keep their population going. Infect a few children. It’s a way of life here. I’ll never grow accustomed to it and am doing all in my power to control their population.”

“I’m in. I have this thing against guilds and eliminating a few man sized rats sounds like my kind of fun.” Allikhain enthused.

“Well when in Waterdeep, do as the Waterdhavians the saying goes. I too shall help you with your endeavors.” For lack of anything better to do and being new here, I doubt I’d make any profit. I’d probably make it with lycanthropes anyways.

“I am a practitioner of magic so some of my incantations may come in handy, if you’ve no objection.”

“I don’t mind. Just be careful not to cast any spells in the city. The folk are fearful of the arcane arts and you could end up in prison or suffer a far worse fate.”

For the rest of the evening the three women discussed about their experiences while Bolbin returned to scout the port once more.

They learned that Narcis’ family had been destroyed by wererats and for the past few years had been doing her best to control the population of the sewers residents. Narcis learned some of what Ulsaon did. Allikhain spoke very little of what she had done in the past, only that her parents had been killed because of a guild in her city. By the time it was morning, Bolbin returned with no news of any sightings and headed to bed. Ulsaon and Allikhain were offered shelter and accepted, returning to their room to gather their belongings. Returning to Narcis’ home they retired for a few hours of well needed rest. Both Ulsaon and Allikhain were pleased with the outcome of their meeting with Narcis. Only time would tell if they could do any good here in this strange land.