A what would you do thread

Discussing all things Ravenloft
GoldenGoblin
Conspirator
Conspirator
Location: Ivlis Swamp, Barovia Valicia's Cave in a secure shelter

A what would you do thread

Post by GoldenGoblin »

So last week in our 12th level Expedition to Castle Ravenloft game I had a interesting turn of events and now I am trying to figure out what I would do.

If anyone knows here I am running EtCR with Ravenloft rules and adjusting things to canon or to as much as can be. Like Madame Eva, I am thinking the reasoning behind the hag bit is the vistani are self exiled like I read somewhere else so the hags planned the deception.

Anyway at Lysaga Hill the hag there suceeded in summoning Chernovog. Being a lowly demon prince I figured he could stash his body and possess a character if he could get in. He possessed the wizard and was in him till last tuesday. Check here for log for more information.
They went to the deranged nymphs hideout and in the wizards mind he made a great case for the nymph being a even better host for Chernovog and he left the wizard. Everyone except the wizard and the cleric were blinded, and Chernovog tried to reenter the wizard and failed. Tried the cleric and got in. Then all of the players were talking around the table about what would happen next. They said he could just kill the wizard because he is the only one who knows about Chernovog. I figured he would just leave or stay. So I put it to the dice and he walked away. Leaving the party blind. Luckily they found Sir Urik. hehe

My question is what would you do if you were Chernovog?

He is close to the Village of Barovia. Since hes a fiend in RL I assume he can sense the 'other power' in this land and he is interested in binding himself to the third fane and complete that portion of binding himself here. Of course he knows he can't leave but being chaotic he either overlooks his anger or just displaces it and chooses to take over. Of course he can't but thats not going to stop him. He will likely draw Strahds attention.
[url=http://campaignhq.blogspot.com/]Campaign Headquarters Log[/url]

I despise all weavers of the dark arts ... speaking of which pass the gravy

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korgoth_of_Barbaria]Korgoth[/url]
GoldenGoblin
Conspirator
Conspirator
Location: Ivlis Swamp, Barovia Valicia's Cave in a secure shelter

Post by GoldenGoblin »

The wizard had put a small boy in Vallaki in charge of digging the graves of Leo's attack and gave him the Shovel of Gravedigging. About 2 graves later the boy had a grave elemental following him around, then another. The party left the boy with the shovel and is now having a terrible time in the crypts of the castle and Chernovog left the priest only to find the boy who then walked off into the sunset till I can bring him back for maximum effect.

Thanks for so many replies.
[url=http://campaignhq.blogspot.com/]Campaign Headquarters Log[/url]

I despise all weavers of the dark arts ... speaking of which pass the gravy

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korgoth_of_Barbaria]Korgoth[/url]
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Shovel of Gravedigging sounds cool. Did you create it, or is it in the books?
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: A what would you do thread

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

GoldenGoblin wrote:My question is what would you do if you were Chernovog?
I'd need to know more about him before I step into his shoes. What's his motivation, and what are his abilities? Where is he written up?
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

ewancummins wrote:Shovel of Gravedigging sounds cool. Did you create it, or is it in the books?
It's from Forged of Darkness.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

GoldenGoblin wrote: Thanks for so many replies.

Sorry, I totally missed this thread when it went up.... :oops:
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czernobog has some info that might be relevant toward understanding Chernovog. His summoner in EtCR calls him a green god despite the fact that "Chernovog" means black god...but I still think it might be fun to style him as a negative aspect of nature. Look toward the Green Man and White Fiend for inspiration.

That in mind, I'd say Chernovog might also be interested in gathering worshippers for a Sabbat, a la Night on Bald Mountain.