¿Domains and Denizens? ¿What is this?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Dimitri Mazieres
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

¿Domains and Denizens? ¿What is this?

Post by Dimitri Mazieres »

Browsing through eBay, I came upon this.
Now, I've followed Ravenloft for quite some time, and I thought I was familiarized with pretty much every product released, but I'm at a loss about this. It looks like the Forbidden Lore's cover art, with another title. :?
Do you think it might be fake?
[i]"Many point out that this battle against the darkness is an impossible one, and they may well be right. Impossible or not, however, the battle for righteousness is one that only a few heroes are brave enough to undertake"[/i]
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: ¿Domains and Denizens? ¿What is this?

Post by steveflam »

Dimitri Mazieres wrote:Browsing through eBay, I came upon this.
Now, I've followed Ravenloft for quite some time, and I thought I was familiarized with pretty much every product released, but I'm at a loss about this. It looks like the Forbidden Lore's cover art, with another title. :?
Do you think it might be fake?
This is one of the "books" in the Black Box set, Realm of Terror
Dimitri Mazieres
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: ¿Domains and Denizens? ¿What is this?

tarlyn wrote:This is one of the "books" in the Black Box set, Realm of Terror
Mmm... I don't think so. I have the Black Box, and it only includes one book (besides the maps and cards) which has the same cover art as the box, which is the one by Clyde Caldwell featuring Strahd about to bite a helpless female.

Maybe you meant the contents from the Red box?
[i]"Many point out that this battle against the darkness is an impossible one, and they may well be right. Impossible or not, however, the battle for righteousness is one that only a few heroes are brave enough to undertake"[/i]
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Yes, that book is the Domains and Denizens from the Red Box.

It's substantively the same as the Black Box, except there's been some "2.5" ed. updates. It also features some cool full-page art by Stephen Fabian that the original was missing, including some of Azalin and some of Strahd.

I think that was the first setting that incorporated Madness checks as well.
Dimitri Mazieres
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

HuManBing wrote:Yes, that book is the Domains and Denizens from the Red Box.

It's substantively the same as the Black Box, except there's been some "2.5" ed. updates. It also features some cool full-page art by Stephen Fabian that the original was missing, including some of Azalin and some of Strahd.
That must be it, then. Thanks for clarifying. :)
HuManBing wrote:I think that was the first setting that incorporated Madness checks as well.
Yes, they were introduced in Forbidden Lore, and incorporated to the setting with the Red Box.