Adventure based on 'The Outsider'- critique plz

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Adventure based on 'The Outsider'- critique plz

Post by Archedius »

I've been brainstorming small, one session adventures to run for my players during my winter break from college. I've just reread H.P. Lovecrafts 'The Outsider' and was inspired by it.
I'm using the same PC's for each adventure I'm running and hoping to keep them around level 4. None of them are casters- 3 players all martial types.
Anyway, I have a few goals for this adventure- establish a mysterious beginning to where the PC's have vague recollections of a battle but not know how they got where they are now, to allow the players to perform valiant and good deeds, slowly reveal where they are and finally to fully reveal what they are and where in all its horror.
- These will be medieval period chars in an unspecified, nearly non-fantasy, masqued setting.
- It will start with a description of a horrible battle in which the PC's are participating. There will be a cliffhanger blackout.
- I'm not sure how yet but I want the PC's to come to in a light wood under a full moon; it is a nice pastoral land of fields, paths and vineyards. The PC's see themselves as they were during the battle but their equipment is slightly out of repair and rusting- they personally look fine (to each other). I'm not sure how the PC's got there yet though: ideas?
- During their wanderings they'll get a chance to save a blind man from several highwaymen (when the PC's get within 10 ft of the highwaymen- they will instill sheer terror in them, the PC's will not know why), they will be thanked by the man who will answer whatever questions they may have.
: the pc's are back in their country of origin if they ask, if they ask the date- the man uses a calendar system different from what they know (this will add to growing confusion), will direct PC's to an estate down a path in the woods as the closest inhabited place- can help them better than the blind man who will continue on his way.
- Somewhere the PC's will stumble on a churchyard; some of the graves will have nearly recognizable names of people they fought alongside but many of the graves are heavily worn. The path will continue on through the woods; I hope to portray the forest in a peaceful and beautiful light.
- perhaps another opportunity for a good deed: ideas?
- PCs stumble out onto the equivalent of a Regency period england estate. Across the gardens and fountains there is light coming from a building who's architectural style is completely alien to them. The figures in the distance seem to be dancing behind large open glass doors. The dress of the people is strange to them too.
- Will borrow heavily from last part of 'The Outsider' here. As PC's cross the threshold of the patio and doors- will describe there being a disturbance that frightens the guests- will describe in a way as to have the players concerned for their safety too. 3 figures seem to be approaching the PC's from a far wall- the party people are running from the room. The PC's will see the 3 as hellish things that should not be able to walk the earth... As the PC's advance to attack- the things will do the same (I know my players- they WILL attack). As the first blow strikes the sound of glass shattering echoes through the dance hall...
- (the PC's were undead the whole time, had been dead for several centuries)
So that's a rough outline for that adventure- any ideas or suggestions?
I think my players will like the twist at the end, I hope.
Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

plenty of views but no critiques at all? : ( Sad Panda lol- this'll be the only bump I do for this.