Survey - Quality of WotC's 3e books?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

LordGodefroi wrote:
Dion of the Fraternity wrote: I declare the following to be the most useless Accessory ever:

Are you kiddin' ? This one's on my "To Buy" list. With rules published across multiple books (some of which I don't own) a well-organized well-indexed compendium is a boon. It'll save loads of time at the game table.
I can't wait for it.
To be honest it really depends on the person and their DM's or if they are Dm's. If as a DM your players are really into rules, then I am sure that this book is a very practical tool.

If either you are a DM/player and you all know the "rules" as per the DMG and other normal 3.5 books, the this book is rather pointless for you.

It really all depends on the people and their campaigns ;)
LordGodefroi
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by LordGodefroi »

tarlyn st-denfer wrote:If either you are a DM/player and you all know the "rules" as per the DMG and other normal 3.5 books, the this book is rather pointless for you.

It really all depends on the people and their campaigns ;)
Yes. It's great for me. I stopped memorizing game rules when I became an adult. Had more important stuff to cram into my head. I'd rather just look it up if I need to.
[url=http://www.classichorrorfilmboard.com/]Classic Horror Film Board[/url]

[url=http://www.halloweenartexhibit.com/]Annual Halloween Art Exhibit - Chicago[/url]
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

It's also a chance for folks who don't switch over to 4E to get a one-book package version of the 3.5 rules now, before the old PHB and DMG go out of print. Considering the wear and tear which core-rules books tend to accumulate over time, that's not such a bad thing; folks who intend to keep playing 3.5 for the rest of their lives might even invest in multiple copies, so they can loan the "old rules" out to people who may join their games in the future.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I will buy that book. Even if I turn to 4th edition at some point. Which books are the rules from?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

alhoon wrote:I will buy that book. Even if I turn to 4th edition at some point. Which books are the rules from?
Not sure on that but I presume that it is a compilation of perhaps the rules from all the 3.5 books? Anyone who has this book may feel free of course to correct me :D
LordGodefroi
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by LordGodefroi »

tarlyn st-denfer wrote:
alhoon wrote:I will buy that book. Even if I turn to 4th edition at some point. Which books are the rules from?
Not sure on that but I presume that it is a compilation of perhaps the rules from all the 3.5 books? Anyone who has this book may feel free of course to correct me :D
I'm making the same assumption. Thus, you'll see errata as well as "new" things not in the core books, such as swift actions.

At least, I'm hoping that's what we get.
[url=http://www.classichorrorfilmboard.com/]Classic Horror Film Board[/url]

[url=http://www.halloweenartexhibit.com/]Annual Halloween Art Exhibit - Chicago[/url]
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

LordGodefroi wrote:
tarlyn st-denfer wrote:
I'm making the same assumption. Thus, you'll see errata as well as "new" things not in the core books, such as swift actions.

At least, I'm hoping that's what we get.
Going to my gaming store this coming Saturday so I will take a gander at it out of curiosity. Er I meant in October heh.
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Hmmm... Let's see.

Core books: Well, they started all for me, with 3.5 being quite better than 3.0...
Complete...: I liked the first four "core", in the following order: Divine, Warrior, Arcane, Adventurer. The Mage, Scounderl and Champion were a bit redundant, but there were some pretty things in them too.
"Adult" books: A bit too much gore in the BoVD, a bit too much power in the BoED. :)
Environmentals: Extremely good. In order of preference: Stormwrack, Frostburn, Cityscape, Sandstorm. I do not put Dungeonscape in the list, since it's not going to be a manual I'll use.
Heroes of...: I only own HoH, and... Well, I didn't like it. Really. I only liked the dreamscape part.
Expedition to...: EtCR is essentially "What if I6:Ravenloft was written in 2007". I found it... Strange. EttDWP was really a good manual. I don't have EttUM. EtCG is... well... Pure and unadulterated greyhawkian bliss.
Monsters specials: Liked them. Good Draconomicon, good Liber Mortis (at least, in Italy, the title was corrected), can't wait to see Lords of Madness translated.
Fiendish Codex: The first one is simply magnificent. It's a wonderful book telling us about th Abyss. The second, though, really let me down. It was just a manual telling us about rules concerning the Nine Hells.

That said... Yes, I like most of what I own. :D
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda