Wotc and Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft

Would WotC do Ravenoft justice?

Yes
13%
No
20%
That depends on who they get to write it.
67%

Total votes: 45

Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

You may take this out of context :) He was probably enthousiast about a new system he worked on, and not evil-scheming.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

NOt at all. IT is just an opinion from someone who plays D&D and doesn't appreciate someone saying to everyone who worked hard on their 3.5 games, "Hey finish your game in 9 months"......
Matthew L. Martin
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Matthew L. Martin »

tarlyn st-denfer wrote:I dont have the youtube link but basically some WotC guy said in an interview "You have 9 months to close out your games" .... In my mind I am like oh yeah? Says you?
He was talking about it in the context of people who wanted to make the switch over to 4E, and it felt to me more like he was trying to discourage people from dropping 3E immediately in anticipation.

From one of my other favorite settings, this bit of wisdom: "Anger, fear, aggression . . . the Dark Side of the Force are they." :wink:
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

tarlyn st-denfer wrote:I dont have the youtube link but basically some WotC guy said in an interview "You have 9 months to close out your games" .... In my mind I am like oh yeah? Says you?
He's speaking to an audience of "bleeding edge" early adopters.

Seriously, you're shadowboxing.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I agree with J. Mangrum here Tarlyn. The WotC guy meant that you can't switch your campaign to 4th edition without huge effort. Like you couldn't switch your campaign from 2nd edition to 3rd. You either play 3rd edition or 4th. You can't switch.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Ivana_Boritsi
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Ivana_Boritsi »

BigBadQDaddy wrote:All I am saying is that I feel the original core demographic of D&D players who had been playing for years where kind of left in the cold.
I don't agree. Part of the reason 3rd Edition did so well was because it reclaimed many people from 1st Edition who had either quit playing or had never converted to 2nd edition. I remember many people returning to the hobby with the advent of 3rd Edition.

That being said, any time you do a new edition, you'll leave some people behind. And the designers have acknowledged that they understand this.
Now I know, now I can divine. The reign of man is over, and He has come....

-Guy De Maupassant
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

tarlyn st-denfer wrote:NOt at all. IT is just an opinion from someone who plays D&D and doesn't appreciate someone saying to everyone who worked hard on their 3.5 games, "Hey finish your game in 9 months"......
FWIW, my dad and I are still working on a 1e campaign that started, oh, almost two decades ago. (The campaign slowed considerably when I left the house. ;) ) The advent of 4e will not impede our progress!
Last edited by Nathan of the FoS on Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jonathan Winters »

To Nathan,

That was a very cool post about you and your dad.

Yes I am feleling maudlin today. My son started kindergarten today. :)

Patrick
Mysteries of Darkon (AKA Miranda Cornelius' Journal)
On hiatus while visiting Ptolus, City by the Spire, new RL-inspired campaign: Madness Rising!
www.bullonir.wikidot.com
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

Ivana_Boritsi wrote:
BigBadQDaddy wrote:All I am saying is that I feel the original core demographic of D&D players who had been playing for years where kind of left in the cold.
I don't agree. Part of the reason 3rd Edition did so well was because it reclaimed many people from 1st Edition who had either quit playing or had never converted to 2nd edition. I remember many people returning to the hobby with the advent of 3rd Edition.

That being said, any time you do a new edition, you'll leave some people behind. And the designers have acknowledged that they understand this.
I don't know about that...most of the old 1E people I know hated 3rd edition MORE than 2nd. ;)
Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002.
Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights: www.nwnravenloft.com
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Mangrum wrote:

Windmill tilting more like...
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:
Mangrum wrote:

Windmill tilting more like...
I like this game. Okay, okay, my turn...

How about "straw-grabbing"?
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Bluebomber4evr wrote: I don't know about that...most of the old 1E people I know hated 3rd edition MORE than 2nd. ;)
I didn't like 2nd edition, but I liked 3rd. :) So I'm an exception, or the norm, depending on who you ask.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Ivana_Boritsi
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Ivana_Boritsi »

Bluebomber4evr wrote:I don't know about that...most of the old 1E people I know hated 3rd edition MORE than 2nd. ;)
Well, look at it this way. 3rd Edition sold more than any other edition before it. Where did all of these people come from? Was it a brand, brand new audience? Did kids suddenly latch onto it? Were tons and tons of newbies signing up to play?

Anyhow, people grumbling about a new edition is to be expected.

As far as WotC doing something with Ravenloft...it looks likely to me. They're doing new novels in Ravenloft. Also, they had Heroes of Horror and EtCR.

Here's my concern. Expedition to Castle Ravenloft sold far better than any of their other compendium adventures like Demonweb Pits, etc. I would put down money that EtCR has sold more that the 3rd Edition White Wolf Ravenloft books as well.

So what does that mean? If WotC decides to release a new Ravenloft setting book, what will it look like? Will they bother looking at the Gazeteers and such? Or will they just keep going in the same direction? EtCR is selling, so I would bet that that would be the direction they go in.
Now I know, now I can divine. The reign of man is over, and He has come....

-Guy De Maupassant
LordGodefroi
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by LordGodefroi »

Ivana_Boritsi wrote:EtCR is selling, so I would bet that that would be the direction they go in.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I loved EtCR. It was a good adventure and had lots of useful material. Plus, its exactly what the original I6 would have been had it originally been written for third edition. Even so, it does need tweaking in order to be useable in the RL campaign world. (In terms of quality and tone, the old Black Box and the 3e stuff raised the bar from the original I6).

As good as EtCR was, for what it was, it was still high-fantasy and sometimes sacrificed some of the gothic horror in favor of that. (The "new" Madame Eva! Halfling Vistani!)

If EtCR, as written, became the "gold standard" for a new edition of the RL campaign world . . . well, let's just say I'm very glad I have my 2nd & 3rd edition stuff.
[url=http://www.classichorrorfilmboard.com/]Classic Horror Film Board[/url]

[url=http://www.halloweenartexhibit.com/]Annual Halloween Art Exhibit - Chicago[/url]
LordGodefroi
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by LordGodefroi »

Nathan of the FoS wrote:FWIW, my dad and I are still working on a 1e campaign that started, oh, almost two decades ago. (The campaign slowed considerably when I left the house. ;) ) The advent of 4e will not impede our progress!
Treasure that. I got to play D&D with my dad once. And I know he didn't really "get" the game and only played to make his son happy and perhaps understand him a little better. To have shared the hobby I love with him for 20 years is beyond my fathoming.

RIP: Earl, My Dad 1935-2004
[url=http://www.classichorrorfilmboard.com/]Classic Horror Film Board[/url]

[url=http://www.halloweenartexhibit.com/]Annual Halloween Art Exhibit - Chicago[/url]