New Ravenloft fiction

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Mouseferatu
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Mouseferatu »

NykylaiHellray wrote:That actually makes me more curious, how many of the old domains in ravenloft will be mentioned if ever? Or is that still hush hush =)?
Well, I can tell you that the very first novel mentions a few of the old domains. They still exist, and it's all part of the same world.

But as far as when any of the novels will take place in one of the old domains? That, I honestly can't answer. I'm fairly sure it'll happen, but I couldn't say for sure how soon.

(Hopefully, it won't take too long. I have an idea for a novel set in Souragne that I'm dying to write. ;))
Ari Marmell
aka
Mouseferatu
--Rodent of the Dark

www.mouseferatu.com
NykylaiHellray
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NykylaiHellray »

Mouseferatu wrote:
NykylaiHellray wrote:That actually makes me more curious, how many of the old domains in ravenloft will be mentioned if ever? Or is that still hush hush =)?
Well, I can tell you that the very first novel mentions a few of the old domains. They still exist, and it's all part of the same world.

But as far as when any of the novels will take place in one of the old domains? That, I honestly can't answer. I'm fairly sure it'll happen, but I couldn't say for sure how soon.

(Hopefully, it won't take too long. I have an idea for a novel set in Souragne that I'm dying to write. ;))
I am very looking foward to next march then =), one more question, is the earth from which some of these new novels are set. Will that earth be gothic earth? If so will the red deaths link to the dark powers be adressed?
Mouseferatu
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Mouseferatu »

NykylaiHellray wrote:one more question, is the earth from which some of these new novels are set. Will that earth be gothic earth? If so will the red deaths link to the dark powers be adressed?
Not Gothic Earth per se, no. The Earth from which some of the novels draw characters is basically the "real world," for the most part. (Though of course, it's a fictionalized version thereof.)

That being said, it's possible that we might see some elements of Gothic Earth pop up. I really couldn't say for sure what's going to happen in future novels.
Ari Marmell
aka
Mouseferatu
--Rodent of the Dark

www.mouseferatu.com
NykylaiHellray
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NykylaiHellray »

Just wondering, as I saw this mentioned earlier. But whats the main reason why they dont considure "Lord of the Necropolis" cannon? I have not read it so I dont really know.
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

It revealed what the Dark Powers are and what there plan was. Or at least that author's idea.
Mouseferatu
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Mouseferatu »

Jester of the FoS wrote:It revealed what the Dark Powers are and what there plan was. Or at least that author's idea.
Yep. Not sure why it was published that way, but the guiding principle has always been that the Dark Powers should remain a mystery. Lord of the Necropolis tried to answer what they were. Not only does that ruin a lot of the mystery and flavor of Ravenloft but--with all respect to Gene DeWeese, whose writing I normally love--I didn't even think the revelation was all that interesting. It's a shame, too, because the rest of that novel, and it's predecessor King of the Dead, were really pretty good.

You can rest assured that, as of the Ravenloft: Dominion line, the Dark Powers are once again a complete unknown, and will almost certainly remain that way. :twisted:
Ari Marmell
aka
Mouseferatu
--Rodent of the Dark

www.mouseferatu.com
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Mouseferatu wrote:Not only does that ruin a lot of the mystery and flavor of Ravenloft but--with all respect to Gene DeWeese, whose writing I normally love--I didn't even think the revelation was all that interesting. It's a shame, too, because the rest of that novel, and it's predecessor King of the Dead, were really pretty good.

FWIW, I think that the Arthaus products did a passable job of salvaging that book, when they said that people who try to figure out what the DPs are up to tend to wind up chasing phantoms of their own imaginations. Given Azalin's unbending nature and past (bad) personal experiences with extraplanar forces and conjurings, the "revelation" he undergoes at the end of LotN seems like precisely the sort of conclusion you'd expect him to jump to, if he were merely fooling himself. :wink:
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Mouseferatu
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Mouseferatu »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:FWIW, I think that the Arthaus products did a passable job of salvaging that book, when they said that people who try to figure out what the DPs are up to tend to wind up chasing phantoms of their own imaginations. Given Azalin's unbending nature and past (bad) personal experiences with extraplanar forces and conjurings, the "revelation" he undergoes at the end of LotN seems like precisely the sort of conclusion you'd expect him to jump to, if he were merely fooling himself. :wink:
See, that I can live with. I love the idea of people's expectations and beliefs being some of the most dangerous elements of live within the Lands of the Mists. :)
Ari Marmell
aka
Mouseferatu
--Rodent of the Dark

www.mouseferatu.com
NykylaiHellray
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NykylaiHellray »

Compleatly unrelated to the books. Just wondering whats the best way to enter wizards as a writter?

As I want to write a campaign book for wizards.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Didn't it used to be the best way was to write a lot for Dragon magazine?

I suspect that may be more difficult in future though.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

The WotC site has submission information for Dragon now, IIRC. The bar for acceptance of articles is probably pretty high, but it could certainly be worth a look.

As for writing a campaign book, you'd probably need at least a few years' good track-record on smaller projects before they'd even consider it. If you're not willing to wait, some of the d20 publishers would probably be quicker to give you a shot at something that big.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Igor the Henchman »

NykylaiHellray wrote:Compleatly unrelated to the books. Just wondering whats the best way to enter wizards as a writter?

As I want to write a campaign book for wizards.
Would this help?

http://www.montecook.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?arch_lineos70
Mouseferatu
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Mouseferatu »

Yep, Dragon and Dungeon--now in their current online form--are the best way to start with WotC.

Make certain that you follow their submission and writing guidelines to the letter. And make sure you're absolutely meticulous when it comes to things like grammar and spelling, as well as rules knowledge. Everyone makes mistakes; that's to be expected. But you'd be amazed how many people seem to think "Well, it's just a submission, grammar doesn't matter," or "Well, they have editors, I don't need to spellcheck."

At one point, the other D20 companies were another good way, but honestly, there aren't a lot of them left. Still, give the ones who remain a look. Some of them do have their own submission guidelines, and if you produce a few solid books with them, it makes WotC more likely to take you seriously in the future.

That said, if your objective is to write a campaign setting, you're pretty much out of luck. WotC creates their own settings, or else does publicly declared setting searches, like the one that created Eberron. They don't just let freelancers publish their own setting material. In fact, you should be aware that working for WotC means, in almost all cases, working on the books they ask you to work on, not on books that you propose to them.
Ari Marmell
aka
Mouseferatu
--Rodent of the Dark

www.mouseferatu.com
NykylaiHellray
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NykylaiHellray »

Not really a campiagn setting, more of a book dedicated to a new domain in ravenloft which I am writting.

A endless city, surrounded by a wasteland desert. Haunted by the mists and the trains.

But whether I will ever get a chance to write it for a company like wizards is somthing different alltogether.

I guess I could submit an aspect of my idea to them for a wizards article maybe.

Which is an odd race of undead abarations named the annonymous, which used to be others, but now are all the same (think borg, but with faces like the chatterer from hellraiser).

If they ever escape, they go insane, as they where derived of there identities, there minds, there face, there life, and even there name. So they take to wearing animal skulls.
[quote="Kelliack"] It is the lost coin of the gods when they first flipped to see who would get which portfolio.[/quote]