Adventures in Mordent LONG! -spoilers-

Discussing all things Ravenloft
kottakinge
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Adventures in Mordent LONG! -spoilers-

Post by kottakinge »

Hello fellow DM.
I love Mordent and i had the opportunity to run howl in the night module, now my players have just finished it and have the opportunity to explore this interesting country.
I pick many ideas for continuing the adventure (mainly in GAZ and in others campaign journals).
But first let me introduce you my campaign:

I began this campaign more than 12 years ago.
I plan to run the whole CG module, but in the fact we played only night of the living dead, feast of goblyns and touch of death.
One of the character ( a half vistani bard storyteller in 2nd edition) try to decipher the hexad of Hyskosa, he knew something will happen but doesn't know what.
Lately he began to dream about an old vistani man in a cell, speaking of doom and call him his pawn (like in chess).
He begin to understand that he's doomed to make actions in order to fulfill hyskosa prophecies.
In Evil eye module, he had the opportunity to talk with madame Eva about his dreams and Hyskosa.
Madame Eva knows now that he's a pawn of Hyskosa, a dukkar that must be stopped.
At the end of howl in the night this character died at the hands of Ann Campbell, so his spirit began to wander in the land and finally stop in front of an old manor near Mordentshire (i use Gryphon hill as an attractive place for spirits so Godefroy can control them :twisted: ) but he managed to resist this calling (a good will save).
After that his comrade decide to raise him from the dead with the help of Bastion Orlana from the temple of Ezra.
Now this player wants to play another character and put his half vistani to a retreat for several years (in fact his character had social problem with the others characters of the party).
As i made a long term plan for that character, i decided to put an end to his destiny, so here what i did:
When wandering in the woods of Mordent he saw an old vistani friend of him, this friend tells him that the Zarovan had a camp in the woods and that madame Eva wants to see him.
When he reach the camp, he was welcomed by the Zarovan, but was drug ed by them, he slowly began to fall in slumber his last vision was Madame Eva performing a ritual and mists began to rise from the soil.
When he awake there was a voice in his head, that was Hyskosa.
He told him that Eva put him in a special place in the mists where people are prisoners of time (see VRG to the mists).
Eva puts him in this cell in order to stop it to fulfill Hyskosa's prophecies.
But she failed because Hyskosa had many pawns.
Hyskosa send him visions of the future and his carachter saw the formation of the shadow rift and the appearing of the noctual sea in the coasts of Nova Vaasa.
That was the end for his character for the moment, he will reappear some 5 years laters (we play in 735) but his carachetr won't take a year in his special prison of the mists.

Now the others players:
I have a thief from Richemulot, a druid from Verbrek, a cleric of Ezra from Borca and a palladin of Ezra from Mordentshire.
After Howls in the night module, they take the body of Ann Campbell from the swamp and decide to search for the Campbell in Dementlieu and give them the body of their ancestor in order to give her a proper burial to put an end to the curse.
The cleric decide to put the body in a coffin and travel to Dementlieu by boat.
Meanwhile (and that's the more important thing in this thread :D ) the others wanders in Mordent in search for a quest.
The native palladin of Mordent, when he was young had to investigate in Halloway house for the disseapearing of children, in the village of Steadwall (see VRG to the mists), he never see the children but know something take them.
He managed to convince the other players to have a look in the manor.
He heard from the old Smyte that when mists fall on the Halloway manor he saw many small creatures (i use mistling for VRGTTM) with hooves wandering near the village.
He remenber to saw some hooved footstep when he investigated the manor some years ago where the children diseapeared.
So now i need some of your excellent advices to develop this plot.
What will they find in the Halloway manor?
I donwloaded some manor maps from Woftc site and need to complete them.
How can old smyte can betray them (i'll try to make them find his true nature)?they're strong party (about 7th levels) i doubt he can match them, but he's greedy and know the treasure of the Halloway is still waiting!

Another quest they heard about was the story of gregory Ambermist (see QTR #2) i think i will keep that for the druid :twisted:

After that, i'll need a good reason to send them to Ghenna (i plan to run circle of Darkness) cause i'm not sure the begging from an old vitana for helping her son will be enough to send them for a two weeks travel in such a dangerous place.

And now fill my plot please !! :D
kottakinge
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by kottakinge »

I noticed a strange thing in Gazeeter 3 in the Mordent chapter.
When speaking of the Halloway familly they said that during the year 502-547 two dozen of the familly members drowned, disseapeared or were found murdered near the river.
And when we saw the dread possibility about the town of Steadwall they said it was the old Smythe that murder the familly members (and other people) with a dark pact with the mist ferrymen.
So is old Smythe so old??!! (more thant 200 years) or did it was a typo error in the year (747 instead of 547)?
brothersale
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brothersale »

Smythe's next appearance was in VRG to the Mists, and indicated that he was bound after a fashion to the mists. this means that there could easily be a temporal fugue state regarding him.
All great movements require a few martyrs... -Moebius (soulreaver 2)
kottakinge
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by kottakinge »

yes brothersale i had the guide to the mists and there is a story between him and one of the twins.
But everybody know old smyte as the only ferryman in Steadwall, so why a temporal fugue?
It is said that he commited a dark pact with the mist ferrymen to spare his life just after he murdered Halloway's son.
IMC i said that Halloway disseaperance was about 50 to 60 years ago not 200, so old Smyte was a young bastard when he commited his first murder.
I made Halloway manor a ruined manor not only because of the passage of time but because some angry and superstitious people want to blew it away with blackpowder, saying that the whole manor is hanted and that's the cause of all the trouble, but the lamplighter manage to stop it's total destruction by arresting the blowers for destructing nobility's propriety.
I use the story in VRGTTM when the Weathermay twin come with Van Richten in Steadwall to look for the missing children, but instead of Van Richten it was a young palladin (one of my player) who was sent there by the lamplighter.
And now, 15 years later the no so young palladin want to come back to the house because some strange mists was reported near the hills of Halloway manor.
So in my next session i will use old Smyte betray the palladin when he will come back from the house :twisted: