Vistani Cohort?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gwenfloor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Vistani Cohort?

Post by Gwenfloor »

So, I noticed in the Denizens of Dread Sourcebook under Human, Vistani, it says for their Level Adjustment "+3 (Cohort)." Does this mean that you can have a Vistani Cohort for a character with the Leadership feat? That is interesting, although many of the Vistani's abilities are game-breaking, such as 100% Augury with a Tarokka Deck, the Evil Eye, etc.?
What do you guys think?
"Deities are no more than mortals with supernatural powers, and thus are capable of making mistakes."
~Alper, Kobold Alchemist in my Ravenloft Campaign
Darkknight
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Darkknight »

You wait and wait for your vistani to show... and then you find out you have a male, shoot there goes the great seeing and tarokka reading, unless of course you have the next dukkar and then he will be hunted down. Certain special abilities are great, but I would almost prefer a fighter or thief with the bonus levels. I do think a vistani could easily be a cohort, as long as that individual does not become the focus.
I remember the first war, the way the sky burned... Faces of angels destroyed.
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

And their LA is +3 so your level 10 character with the feat can have a L5 Vistani with half his Hit Dice and a tribe full of family who'll hold the PC responsible for the cohort's death. Plus the PC has a cohort who must sleep in a different area every couple nights.
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

And he will be occupied for three nights with every full moon.
The cure for what ails you
Gwenfloor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Gwenfloor »

cure wrote:And he will be occupied for three nights with every full moon.
Isn't that only with Half-Vistani?
"Deities are no more than mortals with supernatural powers, and thus are capable of making mistakes."
Korumil
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Korumil »

Gwenfloor wrote:
I believe it's a Vistani trait that's inherited by any half-vistani.
Don't touch the sunglasses.

Death makes all men equal, Life makes all men brothers. -Mournesworth family crest
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Gwenfloor wrote:
With the half-Vistani it is 'running wild under the moon' or Moon Madness, with the Vistani is something more secretive and more social and probably ritual and perhaps not necessarily all three nights.
The cure for what ails you
Gwenfloor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Gwenfloor »

Darkknight wrote:You wait and wait for your vistani to show... and then you find out you have a male, shoot there goes the great seeing and tarokka reading, unless of course you have the next dukkar and then he will be hunted down. Certain special abilities are great, but I would almost prefer a fighter or thief with the bonus levels. I do think a vistani could easily be a cohort, as long as that individual does not become the focus.
I will keep this in mind.
Gwenfloor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Gwenfloor »

Jester of the FoS wrote:And their LA is +3 so your level 10 character with the feat can have a L5 Vistani with half his Hit Dice and a tribe full of family who'll hold the PC responsible for the cohort's death. Plus the PC has a cohort who must sleep in a different area every couple nights.
Knowing my PCs, I don't think that it will that bad of a hindrance, unless the party gets caught in a closed domain border, but with a Vistani who can go through the Mists, how would this be offset? What would you guys do if a player in your game(s) wanted to have Vistani Cohort?