Need Some Help With Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
cpt_machine
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by cpt_machine »

Theres advice on how to use the 3 dragon anti cards to do a tarot reading but to be honest you can use the old cards if you have them and an old copy of I6/House of Strahd to cover that scene.

My advice with running prewritten adventures is to read it all. sounds simple enough but it amazes me how many GMs dont bother, they read up to the point they think the group will get and no longer, the worst are people who havernt read the adventure and are reading it as they are running it. Read it cover to cover at least once and and make notes, even if yuo throw them away later; make them. You need to know the overall direction of the campaign and by extension what order things should be happening in.
"The Light of the sky shining over the dead shall gutter and fail, turning all to red."
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

Well I did the first session with the campaign and I had mixed feelings. I really liked the story and everything, but there were waaaay too many encounters. I felt like I was running a Final Fantasy game or something. I cut back on a lot of the encounters because it seemed like too many, but it still felt like too many after the session. Maybe it's just our group, but we tend to do more role playing and like to have one bigger battle each session and maybe a small one somewhere as well. So I think what I'm going to do is use the campaign book for the main story and maps and such, but the in between planning I'll do myself. I just found it easier to do my own planning than to run a pre-made campaign. I suppose its my fault for not anticipating that personal planning would work better for myself than pre-made stuff, but its a Ravenloft campaign so I had to try it out. And I'm still going to do it, just change things up a bit.
Forgotten Son of Lord Vasili