Probably an insane idea...

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Probably an insane idea...

Post by Hell_Born »

...but I was looking at the upcoming game "BioShock" and I started thinking; with a little tweaking (okay, a lot of tweaking), do you think Rapture has the possibility to serve as a Domain? Plasmids as a feat tree, Big Daddies and Security Drones as Constructs, Little Sisters and Splicers as Aberrations...
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

"Seek and Locate! Locate and Destroy! Destroy and Rejoice!"
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I think it's definitely doable. Think back to its predecessor (of sorts) Thief: The Dark Project and that game fits in beautifully with Ravenloft's more urban settings, e.g. Nosos and Paridon.

Also it's worth looking at this game and fitting it to Ravenloft as per Undying too.

That makes me wonder - is there any call for conversions of existing video games into a Ravenloft setting? Could such a thing be posted up on the Mausoleum or Library here?
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

HuManBing wrote:That makes me wonder - is there any call for conversions of existing video games into a Ravenloft setting? Could such a thing be posted up on the Mausoleum or Library here?
There was this thread:
http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... php?t=4327
And I'm sure there's more. It seems like they'd fit into the "fan made domains" if nothing else.
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

I would also recommend this thread. It's pretty awesome!
"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom"
William Blake
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

So, would anyone be interested in helping me convert BioShock? For the record, I'm thinking either Pocket Domain or Oubilette beneath one of the Seas works best; even if it does base more on magic, it's still beyond native Ravenloft construction. Well... maybe that Necromancer who's the Darklord of the Sea of Sorrows might have been able to get it built...

Personally, I'm thinking we may need to pluck a few things from D20 Past, but we'll see.

For those of you who don't know, Rapture's origin is as follows; on an alternate Earth, in the wake of world war 2, a former Soviet citizen named Andrew Ryan constructed what he envisioned as an underwater utopia, the ultimate capitalistic and individualistic paradise. At its peak in the 1950's, the city housed several thousand people, each of whom was what Ryan considered the best examples of mankind. Rapture fell when two scientists discovered a creature that secreted pure stem cells, which became the basis for a gene-modification substance called "Adam". A genetic arms race broke out, and Rapture fell into its present state.
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

"Seek and Locate! Locate and Destroy! Destroy and Rejoice!"