Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror: Z is for Zombified

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror: Z is for Zombified

Post by Mangrum »

At long last, the end of the road. Sorry for the lag time; life’s been complicated lately.

Once all the listed monsters have been done, I’ll go back and wrangle any leftovers or latecomers with a single catch-up thread, and then I’ll start compiling blurbs and lore. I’m aiming to offer up the final compilation this fall.

Zeugalak [Lords of Madness] Pic
Zombie [Monster Manual] Pic
Zombie lord [Denizens of Dread]
Zweifalk [Ravenloft Gazetteer II]

Zeugalak: Usually CN Huge Aberration, CR 12. An observant and patient predator found in Bluetspur. Resembles a reptile; its head consists of three tentacles that open up to reveal a fanged maw. Its body crackles with deadly electricity, which it can project as a breath weapon. Naturally, it’s also immune to lightning. “In Ravenloft, zeugalaks were extremely rare creatures of Thaani legend before the final downfall of humanity. In the decades since Thaan was transformed into lightning-blasted Bluetspur, their numbers have grown. Unwary adventurers or slaves fleeing the illithids may be shocked to discover Bluetspur’s barren surface inhabited by extremely dangerous predators. Due to the lethality of the domain’s frequent lightning storms, a handful of zeugalaks have Bleutspur’s surface almost entirely to themselves. Between storms, hunger often drives the zeugalaks into upper caverns in search of prey. Zeugalaks do not differentiate between illithids and other forms of prey.”

Zombie: Always NE template undead. A mindless, shambling corpse.

Zombie Lord: Usually NE template undead, CR +3. A powerful and intelligent zombie-like creature created when an evil humanoid or monstrous humanoid is killed by undead and then undergoes an unsuccessful attempt to restore it to life. Gives off a necromantic reek that can sicken or kill its victims. Can animate corpses as standard zombies or transform a living creature into a zombie 1/day.

Zweifalk: Often CE Tiny Magical Beast, CR 3. A vicious, two-headed falcon, of about the same size and intelligence as a dog. Native to Falkovnia.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Re: Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror: Z is for Zombified

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

[quote="Mangrum"]At long last, the end of the road. Sorry for the lag time; life’s been complicated lately.

Once all the listed monsters have been done, I’ll go back and wrangle any leftovers or latecomers with a single catch-up thread, and then I’ll start compiling blurbs and lore. I’m aiming to offer up the final compilation this fall.

Zeugalak [Lords of Madness]

Our joy at reaching the surface was soon tempered, and then withered entirely, by the sight that greeted us. A lightning storm of inconceivable intensity played across the surface; there was no rain, only the fall of bolt after bolt, sometimes as many as ten in a minute.

"Well, at least nothing is likely to be up here with us," Kruezerhoff offered. "Unless it likes being struck by lightning."

Dorne frowned and pointed. "We should be so lucky. Look over there."

It took several minutes, but at last I saw what his elvish eyes had seen almost immediately; something vaguely like a crocodile was "sunning" itself on a high ridge a few hundred yards away. Lightning struck it directly twice as we watched, to no obvious effect.

Yaro Kaleks, The Caverns of Madness

Zombie lord [Denizens of Dread]

"I tried to help. I wanted to help," the outlander priest gibbered, clutching the sun-medallion at his chest. The smell was becoming more intense--piercingly sweet and heavy with corruption. "I didn't know..."

"You try to raise him from the dead," Patte de Poulet said, his voice flat. "The more fool you, m'sieur. Now he come to thank you himself, no? Only the Lord of the Dead can help us now, if he choose to."

"I..."

The smell had become something physical, a miasma that tore at the nose and mouth like a noxious chemical. I felt the bile rising in my throat, but fought it down; the outlander was not so strong of stomach, and doubled over, clutching at his chest and vomiting.

Interview with Marcel Rondeau, from the working notes to Van Richten's Guide to the Walking Dead

Zweifalk [Ravenloft Gazetteer II]

A shrill double scream rang out among the peaks, and we saw the commandante's zweifalk stoop on Goras' raven. Goras swore; ducking aside, the raven began to fly toward us.

"No!" Schwartzer said, grabbing his arm, her face contorted in anger and fear. "You'll lead it right to us."

"It's my familiar," Goras spat back at her. "Falcons aren't dogs; they can't use this thing to track us."

"Oh yes, they can," Schwartzer replied. "I've trained them to do it myself, when I served the Kingfuhrer."

journal of Antho Stormbound
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Zombies (MM)

When we arrived at the grotto, we detected the rotting meat stench of the zombies, then we heard the noise of carrion flies feeding on the zombie's decaying flesh and fluids.

Then we saw the pack of creatures slowly moving toward us. It was an horrible sight: their pale gray skin had the color of rotting meat, with many blood red holes or bruises seen on their viscous skin. Their eyes were dead and not always focused front. Many had worms crawling on their rotting flesh. A few had missing upper limbs. I think it was Daniel who screamed madly, but the rest kept our place until they were on us...

A dwarf defender tale in Darkon
Last edited by Joël of the FoS on Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

All done ;)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

ZWEIFALK

Post by cure »

Well, it was already penned, so here it is in anycase:

ZWEIFALK
“The three wagons were filled with sullen children orphaned by the Dead Man’s Campaigns and general misfortune. We had orders to show them every kindness and that we did. They were delighted with the attention and even the thunderous arrival of the Kingfuhrer suppressed only a little their gaiety. Drakov entered their midst, smiling broadly, swooping a pair of strong looking boys up onto his shoulders, kneeling down to put pleasantries to others. After a few minutes he cried out that it was time for the games to begin. Each child had to lift a stone, a heavier one for the boys and a lighter one for the girls, and those who succeeded where sent to the first wagon. The boys and girls who remained were then separated and a footrace was set in motion for each sex. The quicker half of the contestants were dispatched to the second wagon. Vlad then personally administered a test of mathematics to each of the remaining children. Those who passed it ended up in the third wagon. The old warrior then announced a game of hide and seek for the 6 boys and 5 girls who were left. They scurried out of sight as the wagons pulled away and we brought forth the first of the zweifalks. Vlad took the raptor upon his arm, removed the two hoods, and threw it into the air with a cry to hunt down and slay the weak. This it did with the greatest proficiency, as did its brothers and sisters in succession, during a scream filled quarter hour that haunts me still.

-Gustov Petroff, hawksman and horse smuggler wanted for desertion from the Falkovnian army, relating the event that drove him from his homeland
The cure for what ails you