Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror: W is for Wicked

Discussing all things Ravenloft
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

WILL-O’-WISP, DREAD, WILL-O’-DEEP

We extinguished every flame and followed the Loathsome Consort deeper into the Earth. Our breath became laboured as we were assailed by foul fumes. Then three lights winked into existence and struck at us with crackling fire, causing the very air about us to burst with a deafening roar into seething flames.

-Vomited Up From the Bowels of The Earth, unfinished, anonymous manuscript
Last edited by cure on Mon May 14, 2007 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The cure for what ails you
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Re: Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror: W is for Wicked

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Wicker man [Fiend Folio]

Hildred's screams rose higher and higher as the straw-giant burned; suddenly, they ceased, and I thanked the Dagda that her suffering had ended--and hoped that I might join her sooner rather than later, for the goblyns delight in slow torture.

Then (I swear it by all gods, high and low)--the wicker man walked. Tearing itself from the frame which had held it upright, it lashed out with its burning limbs at the goblyns around it and scattering them like rats fleeing a man with a scythe. Whatever dark spirit they had summoned into the burning giant, it cared not a straw for them; all who stood in its path were burnt alive as Hildred had been.

journal of Matton ap Herred

Winter wolf [Monster Manual]

Mikhail knelt to examine the corpse of the moose, and hissed in dismay at what he found. "What is it?" I asked.

"Frostbite," he answered, standing and looking around us. Seeing my incomprehension, he said, "Look for yourself."

Kneeling as he had done, I saw that the flesh of the great deer beneath its shaggy pelt was blackened and hard; touching it, the flesh crackled beneath my fingers. "Not even the zilinya neshka blows so cold as to burn," Mikhail muttered. "This was done by the white wolves; they must be very near."

Adventures of a Wanderer, Larraby Quift
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

John,

I am curious, which came first your THE MARCH OF DOOM outline or your The Sound of Distant Thunder - War Spoils - The Bitter Price of Peace trilogy material (or are they one and the same)? And more to the point, the "nightmarish entity from Il-Aluk" commanding the War Wraiths was or was not to be Death?

Thanx,

cure
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

WIGHT

-“Brother, why do you not rest?”
-“My enemies still live.”
-“Sister, why do you not sleep?”
-“My lover betrayed me.”
-“And you small one, why don’t you lie peacefully?”
-“My friends still play.”

The Barrow, Doctor Tyranim Rienis, Chair of Psychology, the Brautslava Institute
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Widderrìbhinn (gaz 5)

First, I knew something was coming because my faithful dog piteously yelped from fear and ran away. Then I felt the bodiless thing pass near me, a wave of cold, then it passed trough me, as if it was looking inside me. I was very cold and I began to think I was going to die soon. I thought I had made the wrong decision. But I stood there, praying for inner strength. I heard it rummaging through my back pack, throwing my things around on the floor. Then it passed through me again and I heard it speak: “She wants the child, her lost child” in a ghostly, but also very beautiful and calm voice. Then it left as quickly as it came to me.

- as told by Tobias the blind monk, after his expedition through Keening.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Drinnik Shoehorn has a wildland beast on the first page.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

So the only one remaining is the Wight, Slaughter ?
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Joël of the FoS wrote:So the only one remaining is the Wight, Slaughter ?
I think a "dire ape" wildlands beast has also been requested, but that's it.

And then Z, and then--finished! 8)
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Re: Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror: W is for Wicked

Wight, slaughter [Libris Mortis]

"When the Horsemen came..." I said, my mouth dry.

"I came with them," it replied, nodding. "Riding in the stirrup of War itself." It paused to give a long, silent chuckle, rotted shoulders shaking. "Slaughter, slaughter, slaughter, all the sons and daughters, rising moon and falling sun, slaughter 'til the battle's done...I forget the rest. Help me remember."

private correspondence, G. Weathermay-Foxgrove to Mattias Mikkelson

Wildlands beast, dire ape [new]

They came into our camp during the second watch of the night, bounding down from the trees, overcoming the watchmen, the great grey apes of the Wildlands--as neat an assault as was ever made by a Zherisian captain of arms, and all over in a trice. Only two of us even fired our muskets before they were among us; we did our best to make play with steel, but to little avail. Their strength is past reckoning.

I have said already that the animals of that place speak like men (little though it may be credited). For the first time, seeing them herd us as a dog does sheep, I realized that their reasoning must also be equal to a man's. How gravely we had underestimated the perils of this adventure! And not for the last time...

Expedition to the Wildlands, Captain John Smith
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

I'm going to un-stick this one. Let us know if you need more/other blurbs, Mangrum.
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

cure wrote:John,

I am curious, which came first your THE MARCH OF DOOM outline or your The Sound of Distant Thunder - War Spoils - The Bitter Price of Peace trilogy material (or are they one and the same)? And more to the point, the "nightmarish entity from Il-Aluk" commanding the War Wraiths was or was not to be Death?
They're one and the same, The March of Doom was the title for a suggested trilogy of adventures, SoDT, WS, and BPoP.

And yes, the nightmarish entity was Death.