Help me adjudicating a power check...

Discussing all things Ravenloft
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

I agree with your ideas for Cristoph, and I'm with almost everyone that Phillipe should not be punished for something he didn't want to do in the first place. I also think that the gift for Alexander is a little too much, at least for a first step in the path. Wouldn't a "you get some damage resistance to fire-based effects / your hands seem like you've received third degree burns" be a little more discreet? Your idea seems better as a second step in the path...

BTW, I like the name: "path of the mad bomber"...

...or "the curse of Bomberman" :lol:
"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom"
William Blake
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

I tend to agree with Wolfkook regarding the Power Check results. After all, the curse should be easily disguisable at this level, and if the powder decides to explode, it's not a pair of gloves that will conceal that.

Alex
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Spiteful Crow
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Spiteful Crow »

WolfKook wrote:...or "the curse of Bomberman" :lol:
He's cursed to only walk Up-Down or Left-Right and is constantly surrounded by people in pajamas dropping bombs next to him? :P
vipera aspis
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by vipera aspis »

hmmmm..
no AoUD. too horrible for so impersonal of a misdeed.

powers checks for all. use DM magic for a succeed on phillipe though. He should still get a check, just not bomb it.

The club could become haunted by the innocents who come back everynight to drink up and scream when the hour of their death arrives.
my bones among the rocks and roots
Spiteful Crow
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Spiteful Crow »

vipera aspis wrote:powers checks for all. use DM magic for a succeed on phillipe though. He should still get a check, just not bomb it.
Kinda defeats the whole point, doesn't it? Aren't powers checks rolled behind the scenes anyway?
Sorti
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sorti »

Thanks to everyone. As for what I've decided for now (if you're interested):

- No PCheck for Philippe. I can't resist puppy eyes.

- Madness for Cristophe, but I'm not still satisfied about the effect: "persecuted by ghosts" is already in use by another PC, "they all were criminals" does not sound as well as it should...

- PCheck failed for Alexander, "Path of the Mad Bomber"... What's the first power/curse? I still like my idea, do you think it's too much for a 1st step?

- Lucienne's an NPC, I'll think about it next time he's useful.
Coltiviamo per tutti un rancore
che ha l'odore del sangue rappreso
ciò che allora chiamammo dolore
è soltanto un discorso sospeso
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Sorti wrote:- Madness for Cristophe, but I'm not still satisfied about the effect: "persecuted by ghosts" is already in use by another PC, "they all were criminals" does not sound as well as it should....

Perhaps, instead of believing there are ghosts after him or that the explosion's victims were all criminals, Cristophe could start imagining that there are hidden bombs planted everywhere he goes? That could be a fairly chilling delusion to play around with, epecially if his delusions give an impression of the imaginary bombs' imaginary fuses running out, thus providing suspense. In some cases the "bombs" might endanger the party directly; in others, it's innocent bystanders who are "at risk", compelling Cristophe to try to "rescue" them.

Of course, if there really IS a bomb out there that Cristophe finds out about, nobody who knows of his hallucinations is going to believe his warning.... :twisted:
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow