The end of printed Dungeon & Dragon Magazines?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Well, I might be wrong :)

I read on other forums that some people do think the RPG market is shrinking. Mmm...

We'll see when my in the know sources will answer.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

I was of the belief that the RPG market was shrinking, being replaced in part by manga-philes.
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Here's a quote from MW herself:

[QUOTE=Queen of Darkness]Wizards chose not to renew our license.

Margaret[/QUOTE]

Here's the corresponding thread:

http://www.dragonlanceforums.com/forums ... e=16&pp=10
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I still don't believe that WotC is an evil company bend on tormenting fans.

Some people disagree with the WotC decision to stop the magazines and not renew the licenses and some people agree.
I would have prefered that the magazines would both been printed and sold over the net as PDFs... but they didn't asked me. Now, I can't blame them for that, because I'm not a decision-maker working for WotC.

I don't believe the WotC cares only for profits, they also care about the fans but some times they have to take harsh decision that disappoint us. They are not a charity institution, they are a company. They make money and when they can they appease the funs even when it is not very profit-effective.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Honestly, I am also a bit baffled when I hear people complaining.
DL did get an extensive coverage already, and a movie is in the making.

So, it's not like the license was dropped into the bottomless pit or something, especially sine the novels are still going on.

I guess instead that the cow is finally making it profitable for WotC to milk it themselves...

Now, in what way RL will continue, I am very sceptical. IF WotC is to revive some older settings sooner or later, I guess the next step will be Dark Sun or Planescape...
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

The return of Planescape would be cool (and there is already a bare basics mention in a few sources so it's not as if it is erased from Wizard's memory).

We'll see what happens.
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jonathan Winters »

About 4E...

I really don't see how that would be profitable at this point (and please correct me if I'm wrong!), but the whole point of the OGL / D20 system is that it's free. Any company can use it. WotC cannot take it back. Period. It's out there. That's how it was designed.

So, if WotC decides to come up with a 4E, it better be a kick-@$$ system. Rogues will still be rogues, Clerics, etc.

What could they offer that would so good as to buy WHOLE NEW CORE BOOKS?

AND, for their main settings (FR & Eberron), once you have all the books that came out in 3E, as a customer, wouldn't you be pretty miffed at them for having to buy everything back? I just don't think anybody would feel it was worth it (and this is just from a money point of view).

PLUS, let's think about all those other 3E products out there being done by the (smaller) competition... Would I buy new core books or start looking at the indie press? (Which I already do.)

Just my two cents about 4E.

Patrick
Scipio
Lord of the Repubic of Monte Mal
Lord of the Repubic of Monte Mal

Post by Scipio »

I agree that for the most part that 4E wouldnt be smart at this time. There are too many games out that are essentially DnD clones using the OGL. I counted 2-3 of them the other day while at my FLGS. The only way 4E could sell at all is if they get enough players like my friend JJ who thinks that any new ruleset has to be better just because its new. :roll:
Dr. Cornelius Scipio, Rogue monster hunter, and owner of the Inn of the Drunken Wolf.

Rumors of my death are mildly exaggerated. I got better.