Capital One Campaign

Discussing all roleplaying games
shadehawk
Conspirator
Conspirator

Capital One Campaign

Post by shadehawk »

Any other Dm's out there getting their campaign called a "Capital One Campaign" out there?

My players started calling our current campaign that after the Capital One credit card commercial becuase of the lack of magic items and treasure they are getting.

(For anyone who has not seen the commercial, it goes like this: A knight rides into town announcing that he has just slain the dragon. All the townspeople cheer and the king on his throne applauds. The king has a chest brought out to the knight as a reward. When he opens the the chest all the knight finds is a note that says "Thank You." The king then begins to read out a list of terms in lawyerspeak to receive an actual reward. "Rewards start after a minimum of seven dragons. Proof must be made that it is an actual dragons and not a large lizard...")
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Well I havent DMed RL in a while but your players should understand 1 thing about it. There isnt that much gold or magic items readily available in RL as compared to the other settings :) I made that clear to my players when I did DM and as a player I understand it perfectly well and have no problem with it :)

Cheers,
Steve
JinnTolser
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JinnTolser »

Hahaha... I've never heard that term before. Very nice. I'm in a Capital One campaign myself at the moment. But it isn't Ravenloft... it's the Realms, of all places. You'd think magic rings would be falling from the sky, or that +1 swords would be given out by villagers like halloween candy. :)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

In the realms it all depends what level you start, and what type of game it is. I do not like handing out magical items or gold. Start 1st level and work your way up and earn the things you own, grow with your p.c.
Players, the good ones, appreciate their pc a lot more this way. The pc I have right now in Eberron has no magic items and he's level 4. I started him level 1 and he has been through a lot of crap LOL. But no magical items really except for this mask the DM gave him that gives him +1d4 to his "thieving" checks, so not a real game breaker as an item. HE found it when he was really young and he only discovered it had magical properties recently.
shadehawk
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by shadehawk »

Like you said Tarlyn Ravenloft is that way and my players know that. They are were just messing with me.

I am more interested if anyone else is using the term Capital One Campaign. to see how creative my players are.
JinnTolser
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JinnTolser »

The campaign I was thinking of was level 9, and the one before that level 11.

But no, I've never hard the term Capital One campaign outside of this thread.