Gygax's Extr. Book of Names & Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scarycount »

Where did you find this book? I just looked for it on amazon and they didn't have it.
Hail Strahd!
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Scarycount wrote:
Charney wrote:
Finally we might see the end of names with "G" and "K" to make them sound "medieval" :D
I don't get it. :?
Charney was refering to this hilarious video:

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid= ... &q=farador

warning: not for kids or easily offended people

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Joël of the FoS wrote:Charney was refering to this hilarious video:

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid= ... &q=farador

warning: not for kids or easily offended people

Joël

Hahahahaha! Just finished watching it a second time with my hubby- boy do I miss Montreal! :lol:
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scarycount »

Just bought this book. Havn't finished it yet, but after seeing the names Sergei AND Tatyana under Russian, I think it's pretty clear that's the place to look for Barovian names. Also, Irena was there, wich those who pay too much attention for their own good might note was the name of a miscilanious Barovian in "Vampire of the Mists".
Hail Strahd!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Well Joel, every time I see this I pretty much cannot stop laughing, especially since I do speak french. :lol:
Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scarycount »

I think Ghenna might have African names, the idea of a place with so little food reminds me of over-impovrished Africa.

I've never come across any examples of Ghennan names of course, so I might be completely off beat.
Hail Strahd!
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Since G'Henna is a Balok-speaking nation (created for a Barovia-born darklord), names from somewhere else in the Eastern Europe/Black Sea region are probably best. Armenian might actually be better for them than for the Thaani, as the latter are derived from a far-distant culture and only wound up in Barovia for lack of any alternatives. Armenian names, OTOH, sound a bit like what you might've have gotten in Barovia after a few centuries, if the Tergs had never left.

Personally, I've always imagined the G'Hennan culture as more like what you'd find in an old Conan novel than in IRL history, so I never felt the need to tie them down to a specific ethnic parallel. Frankly. with its semi-fantastic terrain and miles of wasteland, it strikes me that Yagno's psyche constructed it from old Barovian folk myths about what Hell might be like.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote: Frankly. with its semi-fantastic terrain and miles of wasteland, it strikes me that Yagno's psyche constructed it from old Barovian folk myths about what Hell might be like.
Not to mention the name. :)
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

Scarycount wrote:Just bought this book. Havn't finished it yet, but after seeing the names Sergei AND Tatyana under Russian, I think it's pretty clear that's the place to look for Barovian names. Also, Irena was there, wich those who pay too much attention for their own good might note was the name of a miscilanious Barovian in "Vampire of the Mists".
Perhaps, but the list of suitable Barovian names in Gazetteer I is much more Romanian than Russian...though you could always combine Romanian and Russian names to give Barovia a more unique flavor. ;) (much like Falkovnia has both German and Russian names, or Nova Vaasa has both Norwegian and Polish names, etc.)
Rotipher of the FoS wrote:Since G'Henna is a Balok-speaking nation (created for a Barovia-born darklord), names from somewhere else in the Eastern Europe/Black Sea region are probably best. Armenian might actually be better for them than for the Thaani, as the latter are derived from a far-distant culture and only wound up in Barovia for lack of any alternatives. Armenian names, OTOH, sound a bit like what you might've have gotten in Barovia after a few centuries, if the Tergs had never left.
I just went by the names in Gaz I...I was researching names on Kate Monk's Onomastikon and found many of the Thaani names listed in Gaz I in the list of Armenian names. ;) I wouldn't draw the parallel any further than the names, as the Thaani don't really resemble any real-world culture that I can recognize.
Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002.
Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights: www.nwnravenloft.com
Sylaire
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sylaire »

Bluebomber4evr wrote:
Scarycount wrote:Just bought this book. Havn't finished it yet, but after seeing the names Sergei AND Tatyana under Russian, I think it's pretty clear that's the place to look for Barovian names. Also, Irena was there, wich those who pay too much attention for their own good might note was the name of a miscilanious Barovian in "Vampire of the Mists".
Perhaps, but the list of suitable Barovian names in Gazetteer I is much more Romanian than Russian...though you could always combine Romanian and Russian names to give Barovia a more unique flavor. ;) (much like Falkovnia has both German and Russian names, or Nova Vaasa has both Norwegian and Polish names, etc.)
Most of the names in the original I6 (not all, but most) are Russian in origin, even to the extent of following the Russian custom of using patronymics (Ireena Kolyana, for example, because her adopted father was Kolyan Indirovich). And Strahd's common alias, Vasili, is a Russian name (though "von Holtz" is Germanic...).

One explanation for the polyglot nature might be that the Russian (and other northern-European) names are descended from the nationality of Strahd's original invading army, many of which must have settled in the surrounding countryside and married into the population, while the Romanian influence comes from the original Barovians ("Barovia" itself sounds more Russian than Romanian, but then again, if I recall correctly the original name came from Strahd's father, Barov--can't remember if P.N. Elrod changed that origin story in I, Strahd.
Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scarycount »

There doesn't seem to be a list of Romanian names in the book though. So, using that list for Barovians would seem problematic.
Hail Strahd!
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

Scarycount wrote:There doesn't seem to be a list of Romanian names in the book though. So, using that list for Barovians would seem problematic.
The list of Barovian names in Gazetteer I are Romanian names, though, not Russian...and the sampling of Balok given is also the Romanian language.

I can see the Russian influence in some of the names in I6, along with some Germanic names and some purely nonsensical names (i.e. the puns in the castle's catacombs). Gazetteer I gave alot of Barovian NPCs Romanian names. Hence my suggestion of combining Russian and Romanian names for Barovia. ;) This will also help you avoid the 1:1 comparisons of Ravenloft:Real-world cultures that the Ravenloft authors (in particular John Mangrum) have warned us not to make.
Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002.
Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights: www.nwnravenloft.com
Sylaire
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sylaire »

Bluebomber4evr wrote:This will also help you avoid the 1:1 comparisons of Ravenloft:Real-world cultures that the Ravenloft authors (in particular John Mangrum) have warned us not to make.
Right! 1:1 comparisons are for darklords only! :P