Magic screwing up modules...

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Vlad
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Vlad »

Thanks for the advice. Since I already have those classes in my campaign, I'm gonne be (more) genorous with respect to spells.
Perhaps I should conquer my own fear..
:o
Denn du bist
was du isst
und ihr wisst
was es ist
~ Rammstein
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Changing the atmosphere associated with a spell can do more to make it fit the campaign's style than restricting access. If you assume a PC under a fly spell just leaps up into the air at will, like they were Superman, it's jarring to allow that in Ravenloft, but if you give the spell a spooky aspect -- say, the caster has to invoke the name of a powerful ghost, which lends its own power of flight to the PC temporarily -- then it blends into the creepy mood much better, IME. Don't change the spell's description or game-stats, just the mood of its components and 'special F/X' associated with its function.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Where's Archivist from again? Could it be a good stand in for the old 2E Arcanist class?
Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

I sorta think that a spellcaster ignoring possible tools they could use is not so much rping- as being lazy; no offense. I have chars who play spellcasters and primarily nukers at that- yet they choose spells to help them. Why memorize only nuke spells when there are so many social situations (with both regular people and even 'monsters') that might require charm or spells of subterfuge. If you throw the casters into combat-lite sessions they will realize that it would make rp sense to diversify their portfolio.
Also- I personally don't see anything wrong with chars coordinating like a 'swat' team. In essence- that's what they are. They are exceptional members of their respective professions (usually) and as such have the capacity to suceed where others have not through skill and teamwork. What makes it RL is when their teamwork has wrenches thrown into it- challenges they don't know how to defeat. Enemies that divide and conquer them. If my players work well together then I do not want to punish that, I want to challenge their ability to keep doing so.
From what I see above- Rotipher hit the nail on the head; use mood and context to make spells appropriate. Every spell has consequences for good or ill. They may have to sacrifice part of themselves to power it or their spellcraft might have caught the attention of a predator- or the local government. Rotipher's example about invoking the power of a ghost might have especially dire consequences...
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Actually, you don't even have to give spells nasty consequences, other than those already inherent in their descriptions and the Ravenloft PHB rules. Just make them feel spookier, and you're set.

For example, Phantom Steed is a spell that eventually (at quite high levels) allows for flight. As described in the PHB, a phantom steed has a mane and tail like black smoke. In my tabletop games -- and EwtF, for that matter -- I've always described phantom steeds in Ravenloft as having mist for their manes and tails, not smoke. It's purely a cosmetic change, without the slightest game-mechanical effect, yet it still seems to make the spell fit much better into the setting, even when it's used to fly.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

The Giamarga wrote:Where's Archivist from again? Could it be a good stand in for the old 2E Arcanist class?
Heroes of Horror. You may crucify WotC but that book was a good one. OK some classes are too powerful (Like the dread necromancer) but most of it was good. It has something like the PChecks in there too.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!