Infirmary, Hospital or Hospice???

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Garudos Celestar
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Garudos Celestar »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:If you limit the cerebral's daytime powers as per nosferatu, a whip-poor-will would be a better choice. Nightingales don't sing or fly much after dark -- which would make a night-active one awfully conspicuous to a PC druid or ranger -- whereas whip-poor-wills are nocturnal by habit ...
Alas, as a whippoorwill the vampire wouldn't be able to fly, no matter what the artwork shows. ;)
[i]"I too have begun to wonder about the legendary wisdom of our guardian angel and his pet rock."
~ Evee Beiderbecke[/i]
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

??? The whip-poor-will is an IRL bird. It flies. It calls (wheep-poooor-whill) too. If you're making a joke, I don't get it.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

It's a joke with a very limited audience. I get it, and it's funny, but I'll let Garudos explain. :) (And if he offers you a pet Lemure, don't be fooled by it's cuddly disguise)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
MillicanDarque
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by MillicanDarque »

Ok, while i like the idea of changing into other things, instead of a bat/wolf/mist, how lame is a seagull or a whipporwill. I mean i get the idea of songbirds of night birds, and the idea has merit but seriously. How many adventurers have you had that shook in fear when confronted with the dread whipporwill?
"Ever seen a shark's eyes chief? All black and lifeless, kinda like a doll's eyes."
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

MillicanDarque wrote:How many adventurers have you had that shook in fear when confronted with the dread whipporwill?
About as many as shook with fear at the sight of an ordinary bat, or even a very large one. The advantage of the winged form is transportation, size and disguise among a group of similar creatures. Matter of fact, having an intimidating form prevents that last advantage, as it would allow adventurers to simply aim for the biggest/scariest of the group.

I prefer to intimidate my players by beating the PC's within an inch of their lives. :twisted:
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
Sylaire
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sylaire »

DeepShadow wrote: About as many as shook with fear at the sight of an ordinary bat, or even a very large one. The advantage of the winged form is transportation, size and disguise among a group of similar creatures. Matter of fact, having an intimidating form prevents that last advantage, as it would allow adventurers to simply aim for the biggest/scariest of the group.
You know, if I was a PC and my DM made the point of mentioning the existence of a whippoorwill, I'd be a heck of a lot more scared than if a horde of ogres came over the hill. At least with the ogres I could make a valid threat assessment. I'd be wondering if the songbird is some kind of murdering fiend, and if so, what...or if it's just a red herring that's focusing my attention for when the truly nasty monster nails me in the back.

The way I see it, if a situation calls for a by-the-rules fear check...it's not really scary. :D
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

And if you go with the psychopomp legends that HP Lovecraft used in The Dunwich Horror, whippoorwills *are* pretty unsettling.

(For the record, folkloric vampires could turn into all sorts of odd things, including butterflies....)
MillicanDarque
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by MillicanDarque »

You know, if I was a PC and my DM made the point of mentioning the existence of a whippoorwill, I'd be a heck of a lot more scared than if a horde of ogres came over the hill. At least with the ogres I could make a valid threat assessment. I'd be wondering if the songbird is some kind of murdering fiend, and if so, what...or if it's just a red herring that's focusing my attention for when the truly nasty monster nails me in the back.
Point taken. I apologize. Perhaps the dreaded whipporwhill is a more horrific creature than i had first imagined when seen under those circumstances.
"Ever seen a shark's eyes chief? All black and lifeless, kinda like a doll's eyes."