Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells

Discussing all roleplaying games
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells

Post by Coan »

Picked this up yesterday for a friend's Planescape game. I have to say I'm impressed. I haven't bought a D&D book for a year or two and the new way of stating monsters is so much easier to read.

Also the information on the subject (devils) is quite comprehensive and greatly expands planar data on the 9 levels (in 3rd edition but I doubt for 2nd edition). I also found it easy to read. I suppose my complaints centre on its heavy 'crunch' attitude to writing. There is some effort to make it 'fun' to read with some flavor text and a story or two but it still explains a lot about mechanics -although to be fair a lot less than other supplements which really feel like a rule book for dungeon crawls and nothing less.

I give it 8 out of 10 and it has raised my curiosity in perhaps buying the book on the planes.
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
Scipion_Emilien
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scipion_Emilien »

just by curiosity, what would be the note you would give to the Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the abyss?
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Scipion_Emilien wrote:just by curiosity, what would be the note you would give to the Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the abyss?
I haven't read FC1, however I believe I may investigate getting it in a month or two.
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
Korumil
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Korumil »

I browsed through the two of them a few weeks back. FC1 seems to at least be on par with FC2. It's definitely is a more daunting task to take on the infinite layers of the Abyss that the Nine Hells, but they seem to hit the major layers pretty hard. Maps and everything.
Don't touch the sunglasses.

Death makes all men equal, Life makes all men brothers. -Mournesworth family crest