Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror: U is for Unspeakable

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror: U is for Unspeakable

Post by Mangrum »

We’re heading for the finish line now -- here’s the letter U.

Uchuulon (slime chuul) [Stormwrack] Pic
Done! Umbral creature [Libris Mortis] Pic
Undead symbiont: ghostly visage [Fiend Folio] Pic
Done! Unholy scion [Heroes of Horror] Pic
Done! Unicorn, dread, dappled [Monster Manual]
Done! Unicorn, dread, shadow [Denizens of Dread]
Urophion [Lords of Madness] Pic

Plus:
Chuul [Monster Manual] Pic

Uchuulon (Slime Chuul): Large Aberration (Aquatic), chaotic evil, CR 6. A fleshcrafted chuul created by illithids to act as a guardian. They’re actually slightly more feeble than regular chuuls; mind flayers find them more manageable than the standard varieties. The main advantage it has over standard chuuls is a coating of psionically-charged slime that helps protect it from touch attacks and critical hits. Uchuulon lore is available over on the WotC boards (follow the link in the Monster Lore thread).

As I think about it, I should get a blurb for regular chuuls as well. I believe they’re specifically mentioned in the Hazlan gazetteer.

Umbral Creature: Template undead (Incorporeal), chaotic evil, CR +2 or +3. A template version of the standard MM shadow. Umbral creature lore is available over on the WotC boards (follow the link in the Monster Lore thread).

Undead Symbiont: Ghostly Visage: Tiny Undead (Incorporeal, Symbiont), chaotic evil, CR 2 or host +1. A minor spirit that can merge with a corporeal creature, disappearing into its body (but not taking control of its actions). It can then manifest its own face anywhere on the host’s body, including over the host’s face (thus acting as a sort of disguise). It also protects its host from mind-influencing effects. I think these spirits can be used as improved familiars.

Unholy Scion: Template Outsider (Evil, Native), evil. A particularly evil product of a fiend siring a child with a mortal mother. The scion is fully sentient and capable of using its powers while still in the womb. It can charm its mother, has a number of spell-like abilities. Unholy scion lore is available over on the WotC boards (follow the link in the Monster Lore thread).

Unicorn, Dread: Unicorns native to the Land of Mists. They’re all descended from the unicorn Addar (mount of Lady Kateri Shadowborn), who was seduced and corrupted by a nightmare (a minion of Ebonbane) following Lady Kateri’s death.

Dappled Unicorn: Large Magical Beast, chaotic good, CR 3. The standard MM unicorn, other than their speckled gray coats. The rare, freak offspring of shadow unicorns, below. Shadow unicorns kill them on sight once detected.

Shadow Unicorn: Large Magical Beast, chaotic evil, CR 5. Evil, violent, dappled gray unicorns. They can will their horns to burst into flame, and can use their horns to inscribe a magical glyph of doom, which acts as an unhallow spell. They can also merge with shadows.

Urophion: Large Aberration (Psionic), lawful evil, CR 13. A fleshcrafted roper. Like uchuulons, illithids create them to act as guardians. Basically a slightly beefed up standard roper, adding the ability to mind blast and extract brains like a mind flayer, plus a few psi-like abilities. Much more intelligent than ropers, they are lonely, brooding creatures. Urophion lore is available over on the WotC boards (follow the link in the Monster Lore thread).
Last edited by Mangrum on Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: U is for Unspeakable

Post by Brandi »

Mangrum wrote: Unicorn, Dread: Unicorns native to the Land of Mists. They’re all descended from the unicorn Addar (mount of Lady Kateri Shadowborn), who was seduced and corrupted by a nightmare (a minion of Ebonbane) following Lady Kateri’s death.
Hmm... when did this background for Addar come up?
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Addar and his domain (Addar's Wood) appear in the Book of Sacrifices.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Cool, hadn't read that in a while... was nice to refresh myself. But... the BoS version doesn't have anything to do with Kateri and and Ebonbane. So is there another story out there? (I know I've head of the link between Addar and Kateri before, I'm just not sure where...) Or do we replace the Elvish princess with Kateri and assume she survived the fire, and assume that Ebonbane sent the nightmare, but the story is otherwise the same?
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
vipera aspis
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by vipera aspis »

unholy scion

It was near the Harvest in 748. For fear of some black pestilence similar to what was gripping Pont-a-Museau at this time; i was appointed to look into a feverish patient in Chataufaux. What i knew was that she was with child, in her early twenties, and that she came from a lowbrow famiy with little traces of madness and may or may not have been a whore for a while.

Upon first finding the woman i noticed greying skin and a very high fever. For what we call speech; she would glibber stupidly for a few moments about "whats to come" and "the suffering" then give us nasty stares and spit a little.

note: One men who had been there longer then i stated that the woman had vomited most fouly on him once but i highly doubt this, i believe the mans "advances" were likely spurned earlier and thus he felt the need to exagerate.

After studying the sickly woman for some four days i had found my mark. And how dreadful, it was something in the water here. I belived the womans slow decaying mental and physical health to be a sign of the occasinal truth to Chateaufaux's street-corner rumors. Making note of this, I had suggested/issued a water boil for the (noted)higher districts. Not wanting to remain in this filthy, horrid womans dwelling anylonger I then gathered my things, said my goodbyes, wished the dying woman well(though i knew she wouldn't make it though the month) and headed back to Port a'Lucine.

Some months later i came back through Chateaufaux on my way to Mordent, and there she was. I stopped dead in my tracks, for she was watching me from a first floor window right next to me, not arms length away. With a tiny newborn in her arms silently watching me, she spit at the ground. She must still be angry at that whole "leaving her to die thing". Now though, I was glad to she her alive and all however i felt rather chill. Something about the two of them staring with those little smirks made my blood run cold and my neck hairs stand straight. So i decided to tip my hat and put it behind me.
Just as i reached for my cap the babes little ashen arm jutted out like a worm; pointing qweerly at me. Its face contorted and twisted into somthing most un-innocent. Eyes blazing yellow it's mouth wide and black with a red little tongue flicking. And i admit i shuddered, not do to its horrid features but to what in clear mordentish i must of heard and swear i heard that aweful child hiss:

"There is nothing you can do, nowhere you can go. I am your end and i'll see that you suffer for leaving me as you did. For treating my dear carrier as a whore, you good sir shall rot forever more."

-spoken by Dr. Armond "the ever dying" DeGreen in a fit of hysteria on his deathbed.
my bones among the rocks and roots
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

UMBRAL CREATURE
It was impossible to say what the ruins had once been. Only thick walls of stone, much eroded, remained. Then we saw it, a gurgling fountain. We exchanged incredulous glances, save for Annabel, seemingly lost in her thoughts. A moment later Salvador, guarding our rear, yawned loudly and collapsed. And in the next heartbeat a feminine voice called out: “Drink of the water; it will cool you; it will drive off the exhaustion that has layed low your friend.” But it was our fallen comrade who commanded our attention. And so we failed to notice that Annabel had obeyed and entered the ruins. No sooner had we aroused Salvador, than we heard her cry. We found her beset by a large quadrupedal shadow, mirrored many times over, that would dart forth from one wall to attack her and vanish into another, only to race out again from a different point. We fared poorly against it, our weapons growing heavier and our judgement cloudier with each numbing touch. But Raoul, grinning like a fiend, turned the tide, shackling it with bands of eldritch force.

-The Wreck of the Albatross, Juno Lutuem, Darkonese adventurer
The cure for what ails you
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Please note that the umbral creature has been edited to fix minor errors.
The cure for what ails you
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: U is for Unspeakable

Post by Mangrum »

Brandi wrote:Hmm... when did this background for Addar come up?
It's something that would have been formally introduced in Ravenloft Gazetteer IX or so, when we would have finally been able to devote some needed attention to cleaning up the Shadowlands.

For a hint of what would have been, read the Book of Shadows framing fiction.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Re: Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror: U is for Unspeakable

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Unicorn, dread, dappled [Monster Manual]

"Quick! To me!"

I looked about me, wondering what new horror the night would hold, to see a great horse, dappled silver in the moonlight, with a white horn like a sword in its forehead.

"Mount!" it said, "and I'll carry you to the border."

Any lingering doubt as to its motives was stilled by the chorus of howls behind me. The thousand heart's-beats allotted me in the Circle had expired, and the Hunt was up. With the horn-horse's assistance I clambered onto its back, and it darted off, carrying me through the night, surer and more swift-footed by moonlight than any true horse could be at noon.

Interview with Elliot MacPherson, working notes to "Van Richten's Guide to Lycanthropes"

Unicorn, dread, shadow [Denizens of Dread]

"Like horses, but with horns? But if there are unicorns here, surely we can call on them for assistance?" I asked.

Lochraim shuddered and said, "You must be mad, or you really are an outlander. The devil-horses here do not assist men, except to their graves. They, too, are servants of Faith-hold, or they were. Perhaps they were even too cruel to serve her well."

Journal of Akkarath Losander, adventurer
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Uchuulon (slime chuul) [Stormwrack]
The crab like creature subdued yesterday by the chill golems is imbued with magical powers, but I wasn’t able to identify which type. Its slime is gooey and awfully disgusting to all points of view. From test with unwilling subjects, I found its tentacles to have immobilisation powers, followed by a deadly clutch with its crab claws.

The message sent with it was undecipherable, as usual. I wonder why the squid heads sent that to me. Is it a present, a spy, or a warning? I hate them.

Hazlik lab notes, 762

Undead symbiont: ghostly visage [Fiend Folio p221]
Poor Tanya was very agitated when we met Dr Lour. Seeing her anxiety, we were on alert, but couldn’t suspect why, since she was looking at him directly, and not at an empty space in the room as usual when her ghost sight made her saw something supernatural.

When later we were alone with her, and we asked her what she saw exactly, she simply said “Dr Lour has two faces”, and then refused saying more.

I despise the thing that made Tanya loose her marbles and I vow we’ll destroy it soon.

Jameld’s private journal

Unicorn, dread, shadow [Denizens of Dread]
It leaped out of the shadows so close to us, it seemed like if it was spawned from the dusk itself. But the most awful was its scream, like if it could concentrate all Hell’s hatred into one ghastly scream. My legs felt like jelly. I screamed when its horn became fiery and it attacked me.

How its face seemed hateful when mine showed pain from the burn! How its glowing red eyes burnt into my head!

But my wife took my hand and cracked the tube, sending us away from that dark and sinister forest.

During a discussion with Friedrich Kreutzer

Urophion [Lords of Madness]
The satrap from the west border, I again forgot his name, sent me messengers about something that he felt should get my attention.

One of them was among men patrolling the southern border when they were attacked by a “monolith of flesh”, lashing at them with tentacles and “melting their brains to white béchamel sauce”.

I really wish they’d stop trying to entertain me with their prose when making patrol reports.

The creature supposedly destroyed all the patrol, except one man. This survivor said the creature plucked his companion’s brain like when breaking nut shells for their tasty inside, then it put a piece of paper to this last man’s hand, who collapsed into unconsciousness from fear. When he awoke, the thing was gone.

I wondered if the patrol consumed too much poppies again, but then the paper he carried was another undecipherable note from the squid heads. What do these creatures want? Can’t they be clearer? If I knew they were waiting for my answer at the border, I’d fry them without hesitation. I really hate them.

Hazlik lab notes, 763
Last edited by Joël of the FoS on Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

So this cans the "U"!

Only the MM Chuul is remaining. Anyone?
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Chuul [Monster Manual]

7.17.57...after injection with the putative mutagenic serum 13/A/2 the crayfish were returned to their enclosure.

7.20.57 Experiment with serum 13/A/2 must be delayed; a groundskeeper finding the injected crayfish apparently took them home with the intention of eating them. (Note: instruct factor to hire new groundskeeper.) The loss of the experiment is highly annoying, but anecdotal evidence of the groundskeeper's cousin indicates that the results were impressive. Attempt with spiders? Spiders considered inedible even by the most stupid.

Hazlik, laboratory notes
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

This one's coming unstuck now, too.