By the unholy seething horrors of the abyss, above and below

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Korumil
Conspirator
Conspirator

By the unholy seething horrors of the abyss, above and below

Post by Korumil »

If you have not read the short story, The Call of Cthulhu, by H. P. Lovecraft, please do. It expresses horror and incomprehensible terror capable of crushing the spirit of men most resolute. Every person who partakes of Ravenloft should experience this unsettling monstrosity. I am now keen to read any more material that would upset my mind so. Please share.
Don't touch the sunglasses.

Death makes all men equal, Life makes all men brothers. -Mournesworth family crest
Bloody Morgan
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Bloody Morgan »

Assuming that Lovecraft is new to you, go through the rest of his works. I'd especially recomend the Shadow over Innsmouth and the Dunwich Horror. The Shadow out of Time is also worthwhile, though is getting more into sf territory than pure horror. Also nasty are the Music of Eric Zahn, the Colour Out of Space and the Dreams in the Witch-House. A lot of the others are good, if not as nightmarish. The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, though fun, is almost whimsical in places.
Lord_Pruitt
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lord_Pruitt »

One of the better Lovecraft collections in titled - Black Seas of Infinity and contains a number of (I think) his better works. Another story that has always "stuck" with me as being creepy is Sir A.C. Doyle's Lot 42
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

My favourite Lovecraft story, and one that's heavinly applicable to Ravenloft is Pickman's Model. The story of the disturbingly real paintings and where the artist drew his inspiration is so fitting for Dementlieu or Richemulot.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
CorvusCornix
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by CorvusCornix »

Lord_Pruitt wrote:One of the better Lovecraft collections in titled - Black Seas of Infinity and contains a number of (I think) his better works. Another story that has always "stuck" with me as being creepy is Sir A.C. Doyle's Lot 42
Say, what's this Lot 42 you speak of? What's it about? I don't know much of Doyle besides Sherlock Holmes, I assume it's a short story? In a book named "Around the red lamp" there's a story called "Lot No. 249", you wouldn't be mixing up Doyle and Douglas Adams, now would you? :wink:
maraudar
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by maraudar »

Saw the thread and title and thought someone was summoning me :D .. HPL is one of the greatest writers ever. The older I get the more I find myself enjoying the writers from the past more than the present. HPL, CAS, REH are my top three.

Maraudar
Blade, fire, pistol or stake it matters not.. Even the undead can become true dead.
Lord_Pruitt
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lord_Pruitt »

Say, what's this Lot 42 you speak of? What's it about? I don't know much of Doyle besides Sherlock Holmes, I assume it's a short story? In a book named "Around the red lamp" there's a story called "Lot No. 249", you wouldn't be mixing up Doyle and Douglas Adams, now would you? :wink:[/quote]

well, it could be, as it has been a rather long time since I read it. The story involves a recently discovered mummy. The part that really stayed with me was the chase through all the shadows and dark & fog covered streets. So vivid and chilling. :shock:

I may be advancing in age, but I think I can keep my Douglas Adams and Doyle works separated :wink:
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

What was that story again about this expedition to the South Pole with the blind penguins? That Lovecraft story takes the bag for me.

Beyond that, Rats in the Walls.
Malus Black
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Malus Black »

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:What was that story again about this expedition to the South Pole with the blind penguins? That Lovecraft story takes the bag for me.
At the Mountains of Madness. Which, incidentally, was just made into a radio drama by the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream

-Edgar Allan Poe
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

That's so awsome that my head exploded.
I think Mountains is easily the most interesting of Lovecraft's stories - as much as I like Call, mountains just has more exploration, more dark disturbing secrets.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Mortepierre
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Mortepierre »

Eh, funny, this mini just came out:
http://www.leisuregames.com/cgi-bin/sh0 ... 4256#a4256

Also, those interested in Mountains of Madness (perhaps for a Modern d20 RL adventure?) will probably want to purchase this:

Chaosium is going to re-publish it soon (if it hasn't happened already)

I had the occasion to play it (took us over a year real time!) and I still have shivers about it...
[b]Mortepierre Malepeste[/b]
[i]Dwarven Necro.. er .. Student of Anatomy[/i]
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

All these stories you mentioned are really great. But there's one I really like that wasn't. I don't know the title in english so I'll describe it (spoilers).

A young man and his uncle investigate an haunted house they rented in which odd things happened throughout the years. Eventually the uncle dies and his nephew digs underneath the house and discovers the arm of something big...

It was the first Lovecraft story that really spooked me so it holds a special place for me.

Another good one is Cold Air.
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
Darkknight
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Darkknight »

Thank you Dion. Rats in the wall is by far my favorite of his works. I have used this story in lines with Van Richtens guide to the dead for a ghoulish society. Went over very well with my group.
I remember the first war, the way the sky burned... Faces of angels destroyed.
Jennifer
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Jennifer »

Hey guys and girls,
I was fortunate enough to be able to buy the collected works of Lovecraft in three volumes this summer. And I really like his tales, not all of them are equally good, but the ones mentioned in this thread are definitely worth checking out.

Another interesting one is "the case of Charles Dexter Ward" definitely ravenloft material if you are interested in mucking about with cursed family lines and doppelgangers.

Jennifer
Slerm
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Slerm »

All of HP Lovecraft's works are in public domain at this point. You can read them all online for free. :)

The professor that I'm working for is writing a book on HP Lovecraft. I'll let you all know when it's finished, etc., and post a link to it (assuming it's for sale on amazon, etc.).

Slerm