Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

The Movie of the Year...

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I rememebr that trailor in UK cinemas early last summer under the name Spartans and slated for a August 2006 release, often wondered what happened to it. I've been looking forward to it for a good while now :)
Swallow your soul!
Le Noir Faineant

Do you happen to know the original comic? - It's absolutely awesome! :)
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

I'm not so sure that it will be a good movie. For sure it will be full of special effects, but for the rest... I hope only that they will stick to the history and don't improvise changing the original heroes and the facts.

I'm afraid that will be the same as with Alexander and Troy, only spectacular battles without Brad Pitt! :roll:
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Le Noir Faineant

You don't know the original graphic novel, do you? :) That was maybe the best comic book from an American author in the last 20 years. The movie is supposed to have been filmed picture by picture from the graphic novel, which sounds promising. I always considered Sin City inferior to 300, and I am glad that, due to that Frank-Miller-trend in Hollywood, this masterpiece is made a major movie. :)
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Rafael wrote:You don't know the original graphic novel, do you? :)
No, I have never heard it before. But how is possible to make this a comic book? The history wasn't comic at all, heroic yes, but comic absolutely not. :shock:
Rafael wrote: The movie is supposed to have been filmed picture by picture from the graphic novel, which sounds promising. I always considered Sin City inferior to 300...
Ah, I haven't seen Sin City becasue I don't like such movies with blood and violence so I doubt I'll enjoy this one too.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
Le Noir Faineant

VAN wrote: No, I have never heard it before. But how is possible to make this a comic book? The history wasn't comic at all, heroic yes, but comic absolutely not. :shock:

Link to book on amazon.de
VAN wrote: Ah, I haven't seen Sin City becasue I don't like such movies with blood and violence so I doubt I'll enjoy this one too.
:wink: But mylady, you play one of the darkest games that there is... Seriously, the pic will be certainly violent, but not celebrating violence, as far as I have seen.
I would not miss it, in your place. :)
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Ahm... I don't sprechen deutch! :roll: :lol:
Rafael wrote:I would not miss it, in your place. :)
Ok if you suggest it... I'll see it and I'll tell you my comments. :D
- W H A T ! ? !
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Rafael wrote: :wink: But mylady, you play one of the darkest games that there is...
Yeah, but dark does not necessarily translate to "rip some guy's penis and testicles off with your bare hands, then pound his head into a flattened mush (literally)."

If Sin City hadn't been as stylized as it was I probably would've been sick.
Le Noir Faineant

Oh, yeah, had forgotten that scene. Didn't like that movie at all.

Now, at least from the script, I think 300 will be less gore and more style...

One of my favourite comic books of all - and I don't like Sin City as a comic either.
Malus Black
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Malus Black »

Yup, that's one badass trailer.

Now, I'm rather fond of Sin City, comics and movie alike, although I admit there were some wince-worthy parts. That said, I think 300 is a the better book by far (whether or not it's a better movie remains to be seen), and should have substantially less gore.
VAN wrote:I hope only that they will stick to the history and don't improvise changing the original heroes and the facts.
Historically accurate? It's really rather hard when the most detailed accounts are not only elaborated, but written down long after the fact. That said, I imagine they'll stick to the book, which again sticks fairly close to the actual accounts, but with certain touches to remain more true to the spirit of the thing, rather than portraying it 100 per cent as it really happened.
Rafael wrote:[300] was maybe the best comic book from an American author in the last 20 years.
It's a great book, but that's an exaggeration. I'd put Maus, The Sandman (okay, so it's 10 books... it's still one long story), anything by Alan Moore (Watchmen in particular, although you can safely pick up any book with his name on it), and a whole slew of more obscure stuff ahead of anything of Frank Miller's.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream

-Edgar Allan Poe
Le Noir Faineant

Wasn't Maus older, like from the 70s? (Not to be nitpicking, just curious. :))

Of, course, there was a lot of equally good work out there. but 300, especially as a one-shot, was amazing, especially for the American comic market. Now, of course, its value depends heavily if one measures it along with some of the real graphic novellists, like Moore or Gaiman, or with The Uncanny X-Men... :P

Still, for all who don't know it yet, a very, very good book! :)
Malus Black
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Malus Black »

Rafael wrote:Wasn't Maus older, like from the 70s? (Not to be nitpicking, just curious. :))
If my memory serves me right, he started writing it sometime in the 70s, but the last issue wasn't published until sometime in the early 90s (I think it won the Pulitzer prize in -92, so it'd have to be finished by then).
Of, course, there was a lot of equally good work out there. but 300, especially as a one-shot, was amazing, especially for the American comic market. Now, of course, its value depends heavily if one measures it along with some of the real graphic novellists, like Moore or Gaiman, or with The Uncanny X-Men... :P

Heh, very true... I've never been able to understand why the American comic industry is so utterly dominated by superhero comics... I mean, they're entertaining if written by a good author, but for the most part (admittedly I don't know that much about superhero comics) they seem to be non-stop action romps with shiny if uninspired pictures and repetitive, neverending plots (after all, the writers and artists can't very well make any actual changes, can they?)
Still, for all who don't know it yet, a very, very good book! :)
Yup, it's well worth a read.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream

-Edgar Allan Poe
Le Noir Faineant

I'll have to get a decent edition of Maus some time. Not that I would otherwise consider me any way sophisticated, but that one is just as high as comic culture can get. Especially for me as a German, one can not underestimate the impact this work has on me when I read it.

As to superhero comics, that's only too true... Bought a few Spider Man comics when the movies came out: Boy, what a crap. Not unentertaining, but still crap. Now, that new Civil War line seems more interesting. - Maybe, once in a distant future, people will make a decent movie out of it. :)
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Rafael wrote:You don't know the original graphic novel, do you? :) That was maybe the best comic book from an American author in the last 20 years. The movie is supposed to have been filmed picture by picture from the graphic novel, which sounds promising. I always considered Sin City inferior to 300, and I am glad that, due to that Frank-Miller-trend in Hollywood, this masterpiece is made a major movie. :)
You lie Raf! The vest comic out of America in the last 20 years is The Walking Dead! The fact it's been drawn by my good mate Charlie Adlard since issue 7 has nothing to d with it! lol.

Hmm... 30 Days of Night and the follow-ups were good to. Will look for the TPB of this one though, what was the comic called?
Swallow your soul!