Azalin and Lord Soth

Discussing all things Ravenloft
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Id say yes but he seems to not care (or the authors seem to not care)
Hallow
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Hallow »

tarlyn st-denfer wrote:Id say yes but he seems to not care (or the authors seem to not care)
Oh, So Soth's got a "Whatever" Attitude, Not caring about anything in his Domain?
(I just ordered one of Soth's Novels, becuase im so intrested in this fellow, and i dont have his GAZ..Etc.. Funny Time of The Twins has been sitting on my shelf for a year now.. perhaps i should read that....)
Just like the Pied Piper
Led rats through the streets
We dance like marionettes
Swaying to the Symphony of Destruction
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

In Cold, Hard Silver tale in "Tales of Ravenloft" anthology, Soth actually has a low-intensity war campaign going on constantly against the elves. Oliver Arkwright, the story's main protagonist dice gambler, ends up unwillingly playing the part of the darklord's military leader against the elves.

Soth, in that story, is shown to be much more active in prosecuting his military campaign against the elves.

In When Dark Roses Bloom, Soth sits in his keep and spends his time in virual-reality mirrors, while dreaming of Kitiara. Hardly the most momentous engagement for a darklord. (Although I must admit my own teenage years were spent largely in playing computer games in bedrooms with posters on the walls of beautiful women, so who am I to criticize.)

Personally, I would be tempted to have him serve a similar role as Darth Vader - a cruel and demanding ruler who cuts down friends and foe alike in his leadership role. Also, like Vader, Soth should play a fairly high-profile and active role in the day to day life of his kingdom. He should be visible to the public - in other words, arguably the exact opposite of Azalin or Strahd, who have sociological reasons to hide away in castles. (Strahd because of his many diurnal constraints and vulnerabilities, and Azalin because he knows the power of a populace united against a single ruler.)
Last edited by HuManBing on Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Good reasoning :)
mettem
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by mettem »

Just wanted to add a little to this somewhat dated conversation :D. I don't think Margaret Weis really minded that the Soth character was used, but was ticked because she wasn't consulted (and I guess might have wanted to put him to use). The reason for this belief is in the War of the Souls trilogy, he does, as a previous poster mentioned, "die" a second time, though before this it is mentioned that he did travel to other "places", which probably is a nod to his having been to Ravenloft. If Weis really wanted to null the story, she could have just stated he stayed in Krynn the whole time, but doesn't.

At any rate, in his second, and probably final death in Krynn, it is said that his soul now travels searching for the souls of his family. His return to the setting of Ravenloft could simply be that the Dark Powers, now knowing (or perhaps knew that these turn of events would happen if they simply let him go home for awhile) that he has admitted to his mistakes (I could be wrong but that's what is seemed to be implied), drag his soul back to Sithicus and place him in his previous undead state again to do what they weren't able to do previously; torture him. Considering how happy he was to be freed from his undead state, him just living in this form would be a source of torture. How he'd deal with Azalin and Magda is another story 8).

BTW, I just picked up the Ravenloft series last year, and it definitely is one of the most interesting settings I've read. Hopefully WotC will use it well.