Born of Pyre?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Born of Pyre?

Post by Hell_Born »

I was just reading my copy of Dragon #326, specifically the "Born of Fire" article, and I got to wondering. I know that there's an issue of Quoth the Raven that features Dread Genasi -Genasi whose lineage lies in the form of Ravenloft's Dread Elementals- but is there a "Half-Dread Elemental" Template? If so, how would you recommend turning it into a "racial class", the way Born of Fire does with the four Half-Elemental Templates?

On a semi-related note, how would you turn the four Paraelemental Creature Templates (Ooze, Smoke, Magma & Ice) into racial classes?
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

"Seek and Locate! Locate and Destroy! Destroy and Rejoice!"
Glim
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Glim »

I've played with the idea of making half-dread-elementals. I even considered submitting to QtR for a while, before I decided that half-elementals don't really belong in Ravenloft.

I could send you what I have, if you're interested.
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

I personally would say it's up to personal preferences on the part of the DM whether or not to have Half-Dread Elementals- but then again, if it's possible to have Dread Genasi, then Dread Half-Elementals must be a possibility. Also, the Born of Fire article gives on "possibility" for the Half-Elemental class as being the result of mystical rituals that "attune" the character to a certain element.

To get back on topic; yes, I would like to see what you've come up with.
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

Luke Fleeman
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Luke Fleeman »

I actually think a racial level class would be a great way to go. It could get a little beef, and a person could attain their connection to the dread elements.

And, BTW, I think it is totally in keeping with ravenloft. How about the crypt-keeper attuned to Grave, or the arsonist attuned to fire? Good stuff.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you - Friedrich Nietzsche
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

I'm glad you like the idea Luke; I personally prefer a racial class to a template simply because it makes things more balanced- the reason behind the Born of Fire article. If you want, I can post the Half-Elemental classes from that article to give us an idea on how to make Dread Half-Elemental classes.

One thing though; what do you mean by "it could get a little beef"?

Luke Fleeman
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Luke Fleeman »

I mean that many templates/or races need a little strength/potency (aka beef) to do them justice or make them usable. As such, instead of doing a level adjustment, a racial class level is better. Balance it out over time a little more. And, as I said, can be added after exposure.

I would like to see whatever you had. I think this could be a really great idea.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you - Friedrich Nietzsche
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

Ah, okay then. I'll find that issue again, and then I'll post the racial classes from it. Glim hotmailed me the Dread Half-Elemental template he designed, but I need his permission before I can repost it here.

Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

Half-Elemental Classes:
Any corporeal character with an Int of 4+ ca ake levels in a Half-Elemental monster class. These levels do not count as class levels for the purpose of determining character level and provide no bonuses beyond that stated in the actual class.

Features:
Ability Score Increases: these changes are regarded as racial bonuses to the caracter's ability scores and stack with existing racial bonuses, including those gained from previous Half-Elemental levels.

Natural Armour Bonus: this stacks with preexisting natural armour, but not with spells or magic items that grant a natural armour bonus.

Outsider Type: at 1st level, a Half-Elemental's type changes to Outsider (Native).

Spell-Like Abilities: a Half-Elemental with an Int or Wis of 8+ gains access to spell-like abilities, dependant upon both their total character level and their levels in Half-Elemental. Each spell-like ability can be used 1/day with a caster level equal to the character's HD. The Elemental Swarm spell-like ability can only be cast as a spell of the same designator as the Half-Elemental's class (a Half-Air Elemental casts it as an Air spell, Half-Water as Water, Half-Fire as Fire and Half-Earth as Earth).

Half-Air Elemental:
Level 1: CR+0, Dex +2, Outsider Type, Spell-Like Abilities
Level 2: CR+1, Int +2, Natural Armour +1, Spell-Like Abilities
Level 3: CR+2, Con +2, Wis +2, Air subtype, Spell-Like Abilities

Air Subtype: the character can fly at his base land speed with perfect maneuverability.

List of Spell-Like Abilities at Half-Elemental 1
Character Level: Spell-Like Ability
1: Obscuring Mist
3: Wind Wall
5: Gaseous Form

List of Spell-Like Abilities at Half-Elemental 2
7: Air Walk
9: Control Winds
11: Chain Lightning

List of Spell-Like Abilities at Half-Elemental 3
13: Control Weather
15: Whirlwind
17: Elemental Swarm
19: Planeshift

Half-Earth Elemental
Level 1: CR+0, Natural Armour +1, Outsider Type, Spell-Like Abilities
Level 2: CR+1, Con +2, Natural Armour +3, Spell-Like Abilities
Level 3: CR+2, Str +2, Con +2, Dex -2, Earth Subtype, Spell-Like Abilities

1: Magic Stone
3: Soften Earth and Stone
5: Stone Shape

7: Spike Stones
9: Wall of Stones
11: Stoneskin

13: Earthquake
15: Iron Body
19: Plane Shift

Half-Fire Elemental
Level 1: CR+0, Dex +2, Fire Resistance 10, Outsider Type, Spell-Like Abilities
Level 2: CR+1, Int +2, Natural Armour +1, Fire Resistance 15, Spell-Like Abilities
Level 3: CR+2, Dex +2, Cha +2, Fire Subtype, Spell-Like Abilities

Fire Subtype: the character becomes 100% immune to fire, but takes half-again (+50%) damage from cold.

1: Burning Hands
3: Produce Flame
5: Flaming Sphere

7: Wall of Fire
9: Fire Shield
11: Fire Seeds

13: Fire Storm
15: Incendiary Cloud

Half-Water Elemental
Level 1: CR+0, Wis +2, Cha +2, Outsider Type, Spell-Like Abilities
Level 2: CR+1, Str +2, Natural Armour +1, Spell-Like Abilities
Level 3: CR+2, Con +2, Int +2, Water Subtype, Spell-Like Abilities

Water Subtype: the character can breathe normally underwater and gains a swim speed equal to base land speed.

1: Obscuring Mist
3: Fog Cloud
5: Water Breathing

7: Control Water
9: Ice Storm
11: Cone of Cold

13: Acid Fog
15: Horrid Wilting

Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Hell_Born wrote:I personally would say it's up to personal preferences on the part of the DM whether or not to have Half-Dread Elementals- but then again, if it's possible to have Dread Genasi, then Dread Half-Elementals must be a possibility.
I would certainly say that it is possible that a Half-Dread Elemental could exist. However, I would think that it is not very probable that one would actually exist. As you said yourself, Hell Born, it is really a matter of personal preference of the DM. When I created the dread genasi concepts for Quoth the Raven, the idea was that individuals might be tainted by the dread elements and hence dread genasi would be born. Unfortunately, dread elementals are so destructive and volatile that I would doubt that one would ever sire a half-elemental child.

Hell_Born wrote:The Born of Fire article gives on "possibility" for the Half-Elemental class as being the result of mystical rituals that "attune" the character to a certain element.
This process would seem the most likely type to create a dread half-elemental in Ravenloft, although it makes me wonder who would undergo such a process (a debate for another time, perhaps). I could see this happening, although do you specifically need a new template for a half-elemental (grave) versus half-elemental (earth)?

Luke_Fleeman wrote:And, BTW, I think it is totally in keeping with ravenloft. How about the crypt-keeper attuned to Grave, or the arsonist attuned to fire?
The mysterious wanderer, the morbidly-obsessed, the pyromaniac, and the bloody assassin were all dread genasi archetypes that I used when writing my original article.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Glim wrote:I've played with the idea of making half-dread-elementals. I even considered submitting to QtR for a while, before I decided that half-elementals don't really belong in Ravenloft. I could send you what I have, if you're interested.
I would tend to agree that half-elementals don't really fit the setting either. However, I would be very interested in seeing what you came up with, Glim.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]