Need help in creating stats for NPCs

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Little Ole Me
Conspirator
Conspirator

Need help in creating stats for NPCs

Post by Little Ole Me »

Usually my friend was the one who did all the stats for NPCs since he was the "numbers" person while I'm more of the "story" person but he's currently abroad. I'm about to start a campaign in Sanguinia with a couple of buddies so it's up to me to come up with some stats for that Darklord that lives there and his minions the plague abominations (my own creation).

For the first time ever I'm trying to create stats for NPCs using 3.5 rules (I'm more familiar with the 2.0 stuff) and I'm... stuck.

Is there any good manuals/DM references for this kind of work? The Fiend Folio? Any advice as to what books I can try to get hold of or even the formula to determine CR/number of SA/SQ will be most useful!
Malus Black
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Malus Black »

There's a fairly comprehensive guide at the end of the Monster Manual. While it's technically a guide to creating new monsters, it works for NPCs as well.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream

-Edgar Allan Poe
Sorti
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sorti »

To generate NPCs: Redblade (www.redblade.org)
To automatically generate a monster with all the calculations done: the Kencyclopedia monster generator: http://www.kencyclopedia.com/kender/mon ... iption.cfm
(warning: it tends to give high pnysical stats and/or underestimte the CR).

If you need an hand just ask, we can socially generate the NPC and monsters :)
Coltiviamo per tutti un rancore
che ha l'odore del sangue rappreso
ciò che allora chiamammo dolore
è soltanto un discorso sospeso
Luke Fleeman
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Luke Fleeman »

dmtools.org

It'll change your life.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you - Friedrich Nietzsche
Little Ole Me
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Little Ole Me »

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I'm going to try out redblade and see how things go.