Souragne reference in new Paizo adventure path?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
TwiceBorn
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity
Location: Calgary, Canada... but currently in Gran March, Greyhawk

Souragne reference in new Paizo adventure path?

Post by TwiceBorn »

Hi everyone,

Sounds like Paizo has given a nod to Souragne in the latest installment of its Savage Tide Adventure Path, set on the edges of the Amedio Jungle (near the southwestern edge of the World of Greyhawk map). I haven't received the issue yet, so I can't comment further, but here's the thread if you're interested in following this discussion...

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/du ... e=1#117224

Souragne's origins lie in World of Greyhawk, in a Suloise colony? That seems rather unlikely, but I'll reserve further judgement (and indignation) until I've seen the article. I hope this doesn't end up being a double insult to me, as a DM for both Greyhawk and Ravenloft...
-- TwiceBorn
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

I see that Dungeon Editor James Jacobs confirmed in your linked thread that it was indeed an intentional nod to Ravenloft. Here is the actual paragraph from the Dragon article by F. Wesley Schneider & James Sutter:
"Misroi Plantation: A cursed place, this untended plantation and burnt-out manor house once belonged to one Anton Misroi, a cruel man who murdered his wife by drowning her in a nearby quicksand bog. When her corpse returned to slay her treacherous husband, the plantation's fearful workers burned the manor house and forever fled."
The article claims that this is one plantation among many in the Amedio Jungle clearings within 25 miles of the port city of Sasserine.
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

:) Very interesting...

I hope that the Sasserine Adventure Path will find its way into hardbound publication like *Shackled City*. It seems to be the best adventure series in Dungeon in years... :)
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Catman Jim wrote:I see that Dungeon Editor James Jacobs confirmed in your linked thread that it was indeed an intentional nod to Ravenloft. Here is the actual paragraph from the Dragon article by F. Wesley Schneider & James Sutter:
"Misroi Plantation: A cursed place, this untended plantation and burnt-out manor house once belonged to one Anton Misroi, a cruel man who murdered his wife by drowning her in a nearby quicksand bog. When her corpse returned to slay her treacherous husband, the plantation's fearful workers burned the manor house and forever fled."
The article claims that this is one plantation among many in the Amedio Jungle clearings within 25 miles of the port city of Sasserine.
Yay!
Greyhawk AND Ravenloft. What should I wish for next?
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Jakob wrote:
Catman Jim wrote:
Yay!
Greyhawk AND Ravenloft. What should I wish for next?
Dragonlance and Ravenloft :-p
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Eberron & Ravenloft

>_>

<_<
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Le Noir Faineant

NeoTiamat wrote:Eberron & Ravenloft

>_>

<_<
*clickin' sound of me reloading good ol' Sara Jane*

Luke Fleeman
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Luke Fleeman »

I enjoy Paizo's stuff quite a bit. But be warned, alot of their stuff is a little more dungeon crawling and hacking and slashing than Ravenloft buffs may be used to.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you - Friedrich Nietzsche
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

True. I wouldn't get too hyped up over a Ravenloft in-joke reference in "Savage Tide" ... especially considering how most of that adventure-path is actually grafted onto Oerth from Mystara, where the Isle of Dread module was set in the first place!
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

Ail wrote:
Jakob wrote: Greyhawk AND Ravenloft. What should I wish for next?
Dragonlance and Ravenloft :-p
Oh, no, we're back to the Lord Soth discussions! :wink:
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Le Noir Faineant

Rotipher wrote:True. I wouldn't get too hyped up over a Ravenloft in-joke reference in "Savage Tide" ... especially considering how most of that adventure-path is actually grafted onto Oerth from Mystara, where the Isle of Dread module was set in the first place!
Yeah, from my oldschool point of view the stuff is pretty disturbing... Still, from what I saw so far, a real hit on the D&D front this winter! :)