What do the darklords sound like?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I would go through a whole list but it would be directed to ancient stages or cinema and stagemany of whom you may not have heard of. However, I do model Grego Zolnik on myself, just with a suberian accent, which I pull off perfectly. Gabby Aderre I base on Drusilla from Buffy, who am also able to pull off rather well :)
Swallow your soul!
doctor-evil
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by doctor-evil »

[quote="Nathan of the FoS"]I've always pictured Harkon Lukas as Ian Anderson as a young man (he's the lead singer of Jethro Tull), both visually and aurally. (A short Lukas with crazy red-brown hair? Well, why not?)

Ever since I strated watching HBO's 'Deadwood', I've imagined Harkon Lukas as Ian McShane's Al Swearagen, albeit without so much swearing.

Another Deadwood alumni, Brad Dourif, playing his Piter De Vries character in Dune, is how I imagine Hazlan.

Vincent Cassel - most recently as the French thief in Ocean's Twelve, or the Duke of Anjou in the Kate Blanchett 'Elizabeth' - would perhaps be a good Ivan Dilisnya. Particularly the way he played the Duke of Anjou as a decedent playboy.

Cassel's co-star in Joan of Arc (and the bad guy in the origninal Bad Boys), Tchéky Karyo, would be my image of Dominic.

For me Azalin in Max von Syndow in Emperor Ming personna from Flash Gordon ("are my men on the right pills", "Klytus, I'm bored, what plaything do yo have for me today?")

I recently played a game where Nathan Timothy appeared - I tried my best to do a Brian Blessed impresonation.....
monty--
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by monty-- »

Aaargh! Azalin does NOT have a high pitched voice in my book! LOL. I blame the Grand Conjunction modules for that! Azalin is potrayed almost like The Joker in those damnable volumes. DEFINITE NO NO. For me, Azalin, rarely ever speaks. And when he does, it sounds like a death knell upon your soul. Very concise, very to the point. Sometimes with a bit of wit. But a wit that is EVIL and condescending, not jester like. I think the tone is set well within the Gazetteers.
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Igor the Henchman »

monty-- wrote:Aaargh! Azalin does NOT have a high pitched voice in my book! LOL.
Hehe. Truth be told, I have NO idea why he sounds like that for me. But I don't imagine him to be Joker-ish at all. More like... scholarly. Also, very condescending, but probably not as impressive-sounding as he would like to be.
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

monty-- wrote:Aaargh! Azalin does NOT have a high pitched voice in my book! LOL. I blame the Grand Conjunction modules for that! Azalin is potrayed almost like The Joker in those damnable volumes.
Actually, I expect that Skeletor from He-Man might have influenced this as well.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
Willowhugger
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Willowhugger »

I went with the following voice actors for everyone.

To get a feel where I go with, imagine each of the actors saying these lines.

Strahd: Christopher Lee.

"Your stupidity is only matched by your greed adventurers."

Azalin: Peter Cushing

"Enough of this, Kargat! Release him!"

Godfrey: John Cleese (seriously)

"Ah wonderful. More interlopers here to break into my house and make a mess of things."

Harkon Lukas: Carry Elwes.

"I always find that life is full of little mysteries....like you about to be eaten."

(said completely flippantly)
Charlatan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charlatan »

Ian MicDiarmond's Chancellor Palpatine/ Darth Sidious for Azalin's 'Public Voice' and 'Flay the Intruders Alive Voice', repsectively.

Think Christopher Lee's voice is slightly too deep to be Strahd IMO. I know that I've heard what I thought was the perfect Strahd voice somewhere, but can't for the life of me figure out who it was.

Godefroy is a nastier-toned Micheal Kaine. I might pick Brian Cox if I'd ever actually heard him speak with an English accent.

For many years I took the easy way out and 'visualized' Soth's voice exactly the same as Darth Vader. Now I use Jeremy Irons, albiet deeper and morehollow/reverberant.

Mark Hamill's Joker for Malken (though not as given to laughter), not sure about Tristen himself though.

The guy who played the villian in the Firefly movie as Urik, rather than Tony Todd or Westly Snipes. I'm not a big fan of 'villian's voice= always really deep'.

Captain Janeway as Elena Faithhold.

curse you, hwho ever suggested Hazlik be voiced as a dirty old pedohpile, now I can't stop hearing him speaking like that old guy from The Family Guy!
"One thing about livin' in Santa Carla I never could stomach... all the damn vampires."
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Jester of the FoS wrote:I always picture Azalin as a deep, inhuman voice. Cold and without any warmth yet occasionally magically altered when he needs to appear human.
Honestly, most of the time I imagine Darth Vader...
I see him as Death from the Discworld cartoons, so Christopher Lee's voice really, but James Earl Jones and Chris Lee are quite similar if you drop the accepts ;)

For Strahd I have Bela Lugosi

I did use something like Brian Blessed for , I liked to think of Vlad Drakov, I like to see him as larger than life in personality and somewhat friendly to his guests to disguise his true nature.
Swallow your soul!
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Charlatan wrote: curse you, hwho ever suggested Hazlik be voiced as a dirty old pedohpile, now I can't stop hearing him speaking like that old guy from The Family Guy!
And I still wonder if he would've said "pedophile" if Hazlik hadn't been outed back in Gaz II. :?
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote: I did use something like Brian Blessed for , I liked to think of Vlad Drakov, I like to see him as larger than life in personality and somewhat friendly to his guests to disguise his true nature.
Actually, Blessed would be a pretty fun choice for Harkon Lukas.
Olly
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Olly »

For me, certainly, Toben the Many is Anthony Hopkins in full Hannibal Lecter mode.

"Hello, Clarice..." :twisted:
Home is behind,
The world ahead,
And there are many paths to tread,
Through shadow,
To the edge of night,
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow,
Cloud and shade,
Hope shall fail,
All shall fade.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Brandi wrote:
Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote: I did use something like Brian Blessed for , I liked to think of Vlad Drakov, I like to see him as larger than life in personality and somewhat friendly to his guests to disguise his true nature.
Actually, Blessed would be a pretty fun choice for Harkon Lukas.
I just thought it'd be more fun for Drakov, it would disguise his mean side well and really throw the players off if they met him. Especially after they hear all those viicious rumours of the tyrant ;)
Swallow your soul!