Books.

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Hallow
Conspirator
Conspirator

Books.

Post by Hallow »

I really want to know what Ravenloft books to buy, and which ones not to.
I play 3(.5)E.

Because when i bought Champs of Darkness and Heros of light, I was disapointed... what books are the most usefull, in your opinon/ Which do you use most often..
Just like the Pied Piper
Led rats through the streets
We dance like marionettes
Swaying to the Symphony of Destruction
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

H'm...well, unfortunately, the only two books I would really have warned you away from you've already bought...

I would definitely get Van Richten's Arsenal and whichever of the Gazetteers is most useful to you. The RL Players' Handbook is not an improvement on the 3.0 edition RL Campaign Setting, so I'd get the 3.0 version and update it as necessary (it isn't much). The RL Dungeon Master's Guide has a very useful section on the Tarokka, but that's all I use it for. I think VRG to the Walking Dead is a good buy (I don't own it myself, having collected my RL books more or less at random); VRG to the Shadow Fey is kinda cool, but many people don't use them much and the book isn't necessarily one that leaves you swearing that that must change in your campaign.

I've heard good things about Dark Tales and Disturbing Legends, but I don't own that one either.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Kel-nage
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Kel-nage »

Dark Tales is great for DMs, five adventures in one book. I wasn't so impressed with VRG to the Walking Dead, but it's still useful. But again, it's only really a DMs book.
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jonathan Winters »

All the GAZs and Van Richten's Arsenal are a must for me.

The Campaign Setting obviously. Forget the PH.
The DM is also very good.

I think Legacy of the Blood is a very good book too for playing famous RL families.

Dark Tales & Disturbing Legends has some pretty good adventures hooks. Not perfect, but still worth it.

VR Guides to WD / SF are really well done if you are interested in those topics.

Good luck finding them now!

Patrick