Pirates of the Caribean in Gothic Earth?

Discussing Masque of the Red Death
Blake_Alexander
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Pirates of the Caribean in Gothic Earth?

Post by Blake_Alexander »

I know that there is already a thread about the movies is anoeher second of the forum, but my quested is a little more focused on it's use in Gothic Earth. I'm curious if anyone has used any theme related to the two Pirates movies as plot lines for Gothic Earth. The second movies seems to have less that would be used than the first, but the cursed Aztec gold from the first movie seems like it coudl fit rather nicely with some minor alterations to give the plot a slightly more gothic feel. (i.e. Ships mysteriously disappearing, heavy fog)
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

True enough. Still, MotRD leans heavily on its 1890's time period.

This notion reminds me of a product for D20 called Skull and Crossbones - a supernatural pirate setting.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Waldi
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Waldi »

Perhaps it would be quite practicable to use D20-Past....but, why not having some cursed aztec gold in gothic earth. Perhaps the story from "Pirates of the Carribean" was only the prequel and someone finds the cursed gold in 1890 ?? There would be quite a lot possibilities to involve the cursed treasure. Perhaps, the SC´s are on a classical treasure-hunt (Indiana Jones greets), or they optain a piece of the treasure in a strange antiquities-shop or the Black-Pearl still haunts the carribean sea (because the whole story ended slightly different on gothic earth)....
May you live in interesting times !!
-ancient chinese curse
Blake_Alexander
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Blake_Alexander »

Waldi wrote: Perhaps, the SC´s are on a classical treasure-hunt (Indiana Jones greets), or they optain a piece of the treasure in a strange antiquities-shop or the Black-Pearl still haunts the carribean sea (because the whole story ended slightly different on gothic earth)....
The Indiana Jones/Pirates combiantion was what I was actually considering as a means to get my PCs involved should I ever use this particular theme within my Gothic Earth Campaigns. I would be more apted to use the Aztec gold of Cordez than I would the Back Pearl. My players are way to fond of Capt. Jack Sparrow to allow for the seriousness of MtoRD's Gothic nature to win out. I can see it all now :roll: The evenign would be filled with quotes from Capt, Sparrow.
ScS of the Fraternity

Now that's very interesting....

You're right, Waldi, D20 Past is a great supplement for this idea. it alreay comes with most of the info necessary for a campaign on the high seas.
Evil Reigns!!!!
The Wannabe
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by The Wannabe »

And assuming that Davy Jones is not destroyed in the third movie (or even assuming that he is) there's no reason why he couldn't still be operating into the 20th century. So there's a villian right there, and a definitely different take on the standard ghost ship. Likewise, the monkey might still be around, Tia Maria might still be around, and there are thousands of pirate legends that are more than appropriate for to use.

Shipwannabe
"C'mon guys, let's check it out.....what's the worst that could happen?"
Jennifer
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Jennifer »

Hi all,
I think parts of Pirates of the Caribean could definitely be used in MotRD. The great age of piracy might be over, but pirates are probably still rife. Even nowadays they still make the seas of southeast asia unsafe.

Plus I could definitly see a party of ahem archeologically minded people look for sunken ships and lost treasure in the waters of the Caribean. Who knows what they might find in the shallow tropical waters and what might be awakened.

Some treasure dug up and taken back home, only to have them haunted by watery ghosts. I can see that happen easily.

Jennifer
ScS of the Fraternity

True, and even by the 1890's, an undead pirate might be able to fit in around the docks. Given a short adjustment, they'd blend in with the crews on the last of the wind powered vessels. They'd probably go unnoticed, except for the way they brag about how real men used to sail, before all the fancy tinned foods and coal-motors.

You could always run something like treasure island - where a local historian discovers an old map and goes in search of a burried horde, and accidentally hires on a crew of undying pirates, who have been looking for that map for centuries.
Evil Reigns!!!!