9%
Yawn. 1 corpse.
6%

Total votes: 34

Yattara
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Yattara »

I saw it in June. Awesome movie. Afterwards I felt like I'd been hit in the back of the head with a hammer, I was very bowled over. Yeah, the violence was a bit much for me at times, but I knew that beforehand.

I liked the ladies of Old Town. They kicked ass, after Dwight dumped that trouble on them. One question: the man in the elevator offering a light to Alexis Bledel's character was the man who shot the lady in Red, but he wasn't Dwight, was he? That's what my boyfriend thinks, but I don't know.
Have to fight, cause I know
in the end it's worthwhile,
that the pain that I feel slowly fades away.
It will be alright

Pale, Within Temptation
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

I don't think it was Dwight, but the guy might've been hired by him - or the ladies.
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

I only just saw this movie. I bought a previously viewed video at a grocery store to watch it. Another burden of a 2 year spat of unemployment and poverty. I was STUNNED.
Some time ago, I proposed a modernist/postapocalyptic version of Ravenloft done over with some of our favorite science fiction and horror movie/book settings. I imagined a domain based on 'Terminator' with SkyNet as the Darklord and another based on '1984' with Big Brother as the DarkLord. It was, of course, meant to be completely separate from curent Gothic RavenLoft. I see 'Sin City' and I saw so much RavenLoft. That must be what it's like to live in RavenLoft. The DarkLords sending their powers out after any threat to their scheme. The people ground down in one way or another. Litltle girls unlikely to grow up to be anything other than whores. Little boys unlikely to grow up at all. It occurs to me that if there is ever going to be a RavenLoft movie that this is what it's going to look like. This is probably even the creative team to do it. I wonder if Frank Miller ever read RavenLoft. He certainly has a grip on it. Here's hoping.
Last edited by Manofevil on Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I really wanted to like this movie. It had everything I'd been clamouring for for years. Take a non-superhero comic book, treat it seriously, use the comic as a storyboard, get the creator of the book to help. How could it go wrong? But it bored me to tears. Took two sittings to get through. Maybe I just don't like Sin City (never read it), but I do like Frank Miller's other work (Ronin, Dark Knight Returns 1). It was brilliantly made, it looked real pretty, and was well acted. It just didn't grab me.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Xanthippe
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Xanthippe »

It was good, no denying, but some of the parts were very graphic. I'll have to find the Walmart version if I want to watch it again. I loved the scenes of Old Town, and the mind games between the cop and the Yellow Man. But I thought Nancy was waaay too chaste and, um, clothed, for a Sin City stripper.

The cannibalism bothered me so much that I made my husband watch a 'funny' movie when we got home - I'd taped "Reefer Madness" earlier that day. Okay, so that was a big mistake. Then, to get over that, we watched an episode of Futurama. Ironically, and through no advance planning, it was the Iron Chef episode (mmm, love that soylent green!). I didn't sleep for the next two nights. :(
[size=84]"Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain." -Friedrich Schiller[/size]
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Xanthippe wrote:Then, to get over that, we watched an episode of Futurama. Ironically, and through no advance planning, it was the Iron Chef episode (mmm, love that soylent green!).
Futurama rocks! 8)
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Ah yes, soylent green: now with more girls!

But I agree, the cannibalism thing really, really, really made that movie disturbing. Especially the bit with the hand.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Jason of the Fraternity wrote:Futurama rocks! 8)
Sure does. We need a Ravenloft domain with Bender :)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Xanthippe
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Xanthippe »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:Sure does. We need a Ravenloft domain with Bender :)
He might be too evil for Ravenloft... :shock:
[size=84]"Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain." -Friedrich Schiller[/size]