Need Help With Character Traits

Discussing Masque of the Red Death
Stygian Inquirer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Need Help With Character Traits

Post by Stygian Inquirer »

I am going through the process of having my players go through character creation for the first time and many of them have wanted to take on some interesting character traits that I wasn't sure how to run. The first character is an alcoholic and the second is a chain smoker. If you guys could lend suggestions that would be great!

Also, what would cigarettes or cigars cost at this time period?
Information seems to come my way whether by chance or by fate, but all this means, is that I have yet to find out what will kill me and why. - The Stygian Inquirer
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

There's all sorts of possible traits that can help a MotRD character:

Nosey: Your character can't help but pry into someone else's buisness. Whenever left unattended, your character likes to explore. He or she opens desk-drawers, looks into coat pockets, skims books and letters, even eavesdrops on other people's conversations.

Packrat: Your character likes to take things "just in case". His or her pockets, bags and house are filled to the brim with junk collected from all corners of the world. Most of it is useless junk, but to the chagrin of his or her companions, every so often he or she whips out something useful.

Polytheist: Your character likes to hedge his bets - he or she carries trinkets from all sorts of faiths - christian, jewish, hindu, sihk, egyptian, norse, even voodoo. If someone worshiped it, so does he. Consequently, he or she is a font of information on all things divine.

Sports Enthuthiast: Whether its morocan polo, Russian chess championships, or even american baseball, your character knows the score. By talking about a shared interest in the local sport, he or she can strike up a conversation with all manner of interesting people.

Superstitious: Uour character is always looking for "lucky" or "unlucky" omens. He or she carries a lucky shirt or underpants and won't do anything he or she thinks is unlucky. He or she knows a million recipies for curing bad luck and even knows which is the luckiest part of the rabbit
Evil Reigns!!!!
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

I would run the two traits like this-

Alchoholic-
Be it the wild whisky drinks of the New West or a gentlemans favorite of gin and tonic your character is never long without a drink in his hand. As the character offten hides a few flasks on his person at all times he has a 75% chance to be three sheets to the wind and suffer the effects of drunkeness. One positive effects however is as alchohol is concidered liquid bravery he gains a +3 to all fear saves when drunk.

Chainsmoker-
Highly addicted to the new wondercrop coming out of Virginia your character is never without a pipe, a cigar or tobacco and rolling papers (prerolled are a decade away) and if your character goes more then one hour without his fix he suffers a -1 to hide and spot checks due to nerviousness. The one advagte to this is that the character is never without the basics of firemaking (matches, paper, dried tobacco leaves) and can make a small fire in 1d3 rounds
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
Stygian Inquirer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Stygian Inquirer »

Great responses from both of you guys. Thanks a lot.

Jasper, what would the effects of drunkeness be in game terms? Are they printed anywhere?
Information seems to come my way whether by chance or by fate, but all this means, is that I have yet to find out what will kill me and why. - The Stygian Inquirer
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Stygian Inquirer wrote:Great responses from both of you guys. Thanks a lot.

Jasper, what would the effects of drunkeness be in game terms? Are they printed anywhere?
I make people make a Con check at DC 15+the number of drinks they've had. If they fail, they're at -2 on all checks.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Trap & Treachery II has these intoxication rules:
8 ounces of bear, ale, wine, etc or 1 ounce of hard liquor per 5 points of Con with no effect.
After that Fort save DC 10+2 per extra dose or become inebriated.

Inebriated: -1 to all saves, attacks and skills. Fail another fort save and go to Drunk.

Drunk: -3 to all saves, attacks and skills. Fail another roll and become unconscious for 8 hours and wake up inebriated.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

OK, that should be beer, not bear, but I'm not going to edit it because it makes me giggle.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."